No NFA paperwork needed in Texas Sept. 1, 2021

Maybe that's why they need to say "made in Texas" and have to stay in Texas. Just guessing. Wish Oklahoma would do this but sure not going to hold my breath.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMaybe that's why they need to say "made in Texas" and have to stay in Texas. Just guessing. Wish Oklahoma would do this but sure not going to hold my breath.

The Supremacy Clause is alive and well. I think this angle was contemplated with machine guns as well.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptYou do realize, just like places making certain controlled substances legal, Federal law still applies right?

Applies but seldomly enforceable without assistance from local law enforcement.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptYou do realize, just like places making certain controlled substances legal, Federal law still applies right?

Minor user amounts of marijuana is a far cry from unregistered NFA items. Apples to oranges.

Anyone who thinks the issue of decriminalizing user amounts of marijuana and a lack of Federal enforcement will transfer over to NFA items is a fool.

Don't get me wrong... I like the idea... but it's going to get someone hemmed up IMO.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptYou do realize, just like places making certain controlled substances legal, Federal law still applies right?

Minor user amounts of marijuana is a far cry from unregistered NFA items. Apples to oranges.

Anyone who thinks the issue of decriminalizing user amounts of marijuana and a lack of Federal enforcement will transfer over to NFA items is a fool.

Don't get me wrong... I like the idea... but it's going to get someone hemmed up IMO.

Most people NEVER get checked for paperwork. Unless you do something seriously stupid to draw attention to yourself. I don't see the feds having the manpower to go after this.

Other states have had similar suppressor exemption laws for several years. Just look at Kansas. The Federal government can and has charged people with a "non stamped" suppressor in Kansas with a crime. Just like people with small amounts of marijuana could get Federally charged in Colorado. It would be very easy for guys in Texas to order "solvent traps" and build suppressors themselves.It Isn't hard to stamp "Made in Texas" on it. I have two friends in El Paso that have the equipment that would be happy to engrave suppressors for me. There will also be a number of new manufactures collecting supplies and equipment this summer. I'm guessing many other "red states" will create similar laws in the next couple years.

Personally, I don't plan on purchasing a suppressor without a stamp in Texas for 2 reasons.

#1 I don't need another suppressor right now. I just had two stamps approved and picked up those additional two suppressors a couple months ago,

#2 I want the ability to take my suppressors to other states.

If I only only planned to use it in Texas and had a suppressor that I wanted to buy, I wouldn't hesitate after September 1st.

Bowhubnter6pt,

I actually think that you won't have any more trouble with an unstamped suppressor in Texas after September 1st than someone with marijuana in Colorado. If there is a mass shooting in Texas with an unstamped suppressor then I wouldn't be surprised if the federal government attempted to control suppressors in Texas. The feds trying to enforce federal gun laws in Texas would not go over very well in the current political climate.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootFederal law (and the constitution) USED to apply to all U.S. citizens, sadly that is no longer true...

I agree that it is sad that Federal law doesn't apply anymore. Look at the marijuana, all drugs in Oregon and sanctuary for non citizens certain liberal politicians have enacted.

Personally I think the federal restrictions on suppressors makes very little logical sense in preventing gun crimes. I guess the problem is they look scary in movies. I wish I would have had suppressors when I was younger. I wouldn't have as much hearing damage as I do now.

Originally Posted By: BrianID

Bowhubnter6pt,

I actually think that you won't have any more trouble with an unstamped suppressor in Texas after September 1st than someone with marijuana in Colorado. If there is a mass shooting in Texas with an unstamped suppressor then I wouldn't be surprised if the federal government attempted to control suppressors in Texas. The feds trying to enforce federal gun laws in Texas would not go over very well in the current political climate.

Perhaps... but $200 is cheap insurance against an administration that has made their opinions of the 2nd Amendment VERY clear. You're contending with an administration that has threatened Executive Order as a means to control the 2nd Amendment.

Which is worse? Paying a $200 Federal Tax Stamp fee or being arrested, spending thousand's of dollars on lawyer fees, and more than likely wind up spending 10 years of your life in a Federal prison, along with loosing your rights to ever own another firearm.

That $200 stamp doesn't look so bad after all!

Originally Posted By: TxhillbillyWhich is worse? Paying a $200 Federal Tax Stamp fee or being arrested, spending thousand's of dollars on lawyer fees, and more than likely wind up spending 10 years of your life in a Federal prison, along with loosing your rights to ever own another firearm.

My point exactly.

Look, I've been in LE for well over 20 years. I've seen laws ignored and I've seen the same laws aggressively enforced. Depending on which way the wind is blowing...

To compare the lack of enforcement, chances of enforcement, or interest in same concerning NFA stuff on the behalf of the Fed. Govt. with user amounts of marijuana is absurd. Even more so considering the current administration. State law means diddly.

I think we do each other a disservice when we post opinions that suggest the risks of detection/arrest/prosecution are minimal at best thus encouraging others who simply might not know how level, or not, the playing field actually is.

While I personally disagree with having to register suppressors, I won't have any sympathy with someone who gets their life wrecked because they thought no one would care about a non-registered Texas made suppressor possessed in Texas.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: TxhillbillyWhich is worse? Paying a $200 Federal Tax Stamp fee or being arrested, spending thousand's of dollars on lawyer fees, and more than likely wind up spending 10 years of your life in a Federal prison, along with loosing your rights to ever own another firearm.

My point exactly.

Look, I've been in LE for well over 20 years. I've seen laws ignored and I've seen the same laws aggressively enforced. Depending on which way the wind is blowing...

To compare the lack of enforcement, chances of enforcement, or interest in same concerning NFA stuff on the behalf of the Fed. Govt. with user amounts of marijuana is absurd. Even more so considering the current administration. State law means diddly.

I think we do each other a disservice when we post opinions that suggest the risks of detection/arrest/prosecution are minimal at best thus encouraging others who simply might not know how level, or not, the playing field actually is.

While I personally disagree with having to register suppressors, I won't have any sympathy with someone who gets their life wrecked because they thought no one would care about a non-registered Texas made suppressor possessed in Texas.

In September I would much rather get pulled over and checked by Texas State police with a "made in Texas, no stamp" suppressor than a bag a marijuana. I'm sure there are hundreds and possibly thousands of guys that have "made in Kansas" suppressors and I'm only aware of the one dealer and the one buyer that have been prosecuted. They didn't serve jail time but did get probation.

I would agree that if you run into the wrong federal agent, getting caught with a suppressor could have some significant legal consequences. You could get charged with a felony and loose your right to own guns.

That is just my opinion and my advice is worth what you paid for it. ($0.00) I'm not a lawyer and do not have any law enforcement experience. Unless the the feds make some quick legal examples out of several "made in Texas, no stamp suppressors", there will be thousands of unstamped suppressors possessed by Texas gun owners by this time next year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrianIDOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: TxhillbillyWhich is worse? Paying a $200 Federal Tax Stamp fee or being arrested, spending thousand's of dollars on lawyer fees, and more than likely wind up spending 10 years of your life in a Federal prison, along with loosing your rights to ever own another firearm.

My point exactly.

In September I would much rather get pulled over and checked by Texas State police with a "made in Texas, no stamp" suppressor than a bag a marijuana. I'm sure there are hundreds and possibly thousands of guys that have "made in Kansas" suppressors and I'm only aware of the one dealer and the one buyer that have been prosecuted. They didn't serve jail time but did get probation.

I would agree that if you run into the wrong federal agent, getting caught with a suppressor could have some significant legal consequences. You could get charged with a felony and loose your right to own guns.

That is just my opinion and my advice is worth what you paid for it. ($0.00) I'm not a lawyer and do not have any law enforcement experience. Unless the the feds make some quick legal examples out of several "made in Texas, no stamp suppressors", there will be thousands of unstamped suppressors possessed by Texas gun owners by this time next year.

I suppose each person will have to weight the possible risks and make their own risk-based decision. For me, and my main concern if I were a Texan considering taking advantage of the state law, would be is saving $200 really worth having a seat at the risk table?

I read on another gun board some folks in Texas are considering this nothing more than a feel-good law and don't expect many, if any at all, suppressor makers/dealers will actually put their necks on the line by selling/transferring suppressors to customers w/o the tax stamp process.

Your thoughts on that? I've not researched who in Texas dealer wise is ready to move forward with non-registered sales, do you know of any?

I'd love for Florida to do the same but honestly I'd pass.

I'm sure there will be a number of guys that start making suppressors out of their garage in Texas. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the unstamped suppressors in Texas by the end of 2021 will be home builds with solvent traps. Will the ATF go after everyone if thousands of guys in Texas have unstamped suppressors at this time next year. If the ATF does decide to fight this, they will go after the manufactures and those that sell solvent traps.
It will interesting to see how it plays out. Will it be like Kanasas where the ATF has ignored the unstamped suppressors for the most part? Will it be a total surrender of the feds like they did the marijuana shops in Colorado?
I wouldn't want to be a federal agent responsible for enforcing the ATFs suppressor stamp this fall. If David Chapman becomes the ATF director, he should come in person to Texas and enforce the ATF regulations.

please correct me if I am wrong ( I hope not ) but is it true that the only law enforcement that can ask for your stamp or about your suppressor is the ATF or Treasury officer and that police, sheriff or game wardens are not allowed to do so. thanks Jim

they can ask for it and because its a tax stamp you can legally refuse to show it to anyone but an IRS or BATFE agent.

however they (leo, game warden, etc) can detain you until such an authority presents itself - at your request mind you because you refused to produce legal paperwork showing your right to possess a heavily restricted item - and you'd have no one to blame but yourself for said delay.

so truly, its one of those situations that fall under "just because you can, should you?" and that depends just how big of a nitpicking fight you wanna get into that day. is it really something thats worth ruining your hunting or range trip just to have a urination competition over? because if you wanna push back like that, its something they can easily do make your life [beeep] for that period when you're supposed to be out enjoying yourself.

im not here to tell anyone how to live their best life and all that, just that sometimes the best way to say [beeep] with a smile is to give them what they wanna see and be on with your day.

Back