A Good rechargeable cr123 battery

I use both Orbtronic and KeepPower brands.
KeepPower is currently backordered. Orbtronic link is pasted below. They use Japanese cells.
https://www.orbtronic.com/16340-battery-rechargeable-best-li-ion

Both are good IMO but a RCR123 (RechargeableCR123)) will not last as long under load as a CR123 so expect to change them out more often than you would a CR123. Not a big deal, just always have spares on hand.

RCR123's are also labeled as 16340, there are lots of other brands available but most are Chinese so it is hit or miss on quality.

Last edited:
if your light (or whatever) can take an 18650 - many dual cr123 devices can - newegg still has some of the EBL's available . those are great cells for the $.

you'll want to get the new 'old stock" while you can though... i heard the company changed hands, which is why you cant find them on their old ebay store anymore. i picked up a 20 pack a few weeks ago just to make sure i had spares as i have a bunch of lights (flashlights, headlamps and UV flashlights) that use them.

its a bummer, now with stuff starting to move into the 21700 and the 26650's... we may actually be starting to see the 18650 approach the end of its reign as king of the LiOn battery tech world. i dont think its going anywhere anytime soon.. but who knows with electrification being pushed the way it is. it should still be viable tech for at least another decade though.

just pre-ordered a couple new 365nm UV's that use the 26650's (but are 18650 backwards compatible - not sure if that involves a sleeve or not yet, vendor just put the order in with mfg) and my Fenix daily carry work flashlight is 21700.

as i understand it the primary difference (besides form factor of course) is mAh rating sustainability. its a measure of mass available to store energy.

Saw some of the newer batteries at the Blade show this weekend, slightly larger than 18650, and at the Fenix booth.
So far they're much more expensive than 18650 on a mAh basis.

Got a capacity meter to sort through all my old 18650s.
Wasn't cheap, but its a smart charger as well - LiitoKala Lii-500S
Takes a while to measure them, at least its doing 4 at a time.
The display is bright & very well done, easy to read.

update: after testing my mix of 18650s with above tester, the EBL are best by far.
(didn't have sony, samsung, LG, etc,, had just cheap off-brands).
the resulting capacity mAh displayed was relative - meaning it doesn't relate to advertised mAh rating.
That was a disappointment, I've got to read that fine print.

Already had this meter : Universal-Battery-Capacity-Resistance-meter
and its a quicker way to sort them simply using internal resistance.

found this on www, internal resistance specific to 18650s:
----------------------------------------------------------
According to 18650 Battery Testing Experts @ Cadex
75-150 mOhm -- Excellent (new & old EBLS were 40 .. 65 mOhm)
150-250 mOhm - Good
250-350 mOhm - Marginal
350-Up mOhm -- Bad

ps: probably should have started another thread for this, sorry OP

Back