MidSouth has 60gr V-max in stock

Hellgate

A heads up for the coyote hunters: MidSouth Shooters Supply has .224 cal 60 grain Hornady V-max in stock right now. They are my go to coyote bullet in the .223.

They’ll sell out in about 15 minutes like they always do. I think I still have 10 or 12 boxes laying around from a few years ago I have not opened yet and a little over 600 rounds still loaded up so I’m good to go.

Last edited:
I bought some on SUNDAY and they are still listed in stock now 4 or 5 days later. I'm surprised they didn't get snatched up. I hesitated about a year ago when they got in some Sierra 63gr SMP which also shoot very well but they were gone the next day.

Looks like the ammo/reloading shortage is starting to get a little better. I've noticed more availability the last couple weeks than I have in a long time. Hopefully it continues to improve.

I have never tried these before. I loaded up a couple batches today. 1 lot with Varget and 1 lot with AR-Comp.

26.5 grains of Varget dropped from a 6 inch drop tube is very compressed.

Will post results and velocities when i can.

I tried Varget, AR-Comp and AA 2015.

AA 2015 was the clear winner. Huge accuracy window with velocity around 2935fps out of an 18 inch barrel.

I never thought this bullet would be so accurate!

My 1st run out of a minor clean was with AA2015, & printed a 5 shot 1/2" group. My second 5 shot group would have been in the 3's if it were not for one flier that made it a .6.......

3rd group was a .7 and the last 5 shot group would have been a .8 but a flier made it come in just under an inch.

This was using mixed WW brass with multiple unknown firings, & Federal AR match primers.

Varget and AR-Comp would do a .8, then a 1.2 etc and kind of be all over.

I have never seen a powder change make such a huge difference as this.

It was 80°+ and i started to see a bit of pressure at 24.0 grains with velocities around 3000+ fps.

When i get time i will go out and do the same run all over again and see if it is repeatable.

If you like how they do on paper wait till you try them on a coyote! DRT! Everyone I’ve shot so far I couldn’t tell where the entrance hole was and if I got an exit it was either not noticeable or up to 50 Cent piece size. All shots were 250 yards and under. My LTR ran a 150 FPS faster at 2975 FPS (with a slower twist than my POF) I didn’t get exits. My POF ran at 2850 FPS I got quarter to fifty cent sized exits. All DRT and never flinched.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dennydAcademy has them and several other Hornady 224's.
Free shipping. Yep I did.

Shipping might be free but the 60 gr Vmax are $5/100 more than Midsouth Shooters.

Reply to Reb-Midsouth wants $13.49 to ship + $6.10 tax, neither of which I payed, hmmmm and delayed shipping.
It took me 3 days to get mine. Ya man oh man did I git took LOL

Last edited:
I am the OP. I bought 500. Paid $12 shipping, no tax (live in Orygun, no sales tax) and total cost per box or 100 was $23.87.

Powder Valley and Mid-South have not followed through with the price gouging., I have been, and will be doing more shopping at those two establishments than previously.

Powder is coming back strong. So are some bullets.

Was a Sportsman's Warehouse and they had a few boxes of Hornaday 40g & 50 g V-max and 55gr SP w/c. They also had a few Barnes or Berger that I don't shoot.

Originally Posted By: dennydReply to Reb-Midsouth wants $13.49 to ship + $6.10 tax, neither of which I payed, hmmmm and delayed shipping.
It took me 3 days to get mine. Ya man oh man did I git took LOL

I guess if you buy one or two boxes you might save. I never place an order for that few. Haven’t had delayed shipping on any of my orders. Academy charges Utah sales tax.

Last edited:
Bullets are showing up all over the place lately.
A couple more in that range is the 62gr varmageddon, 60gr Hornady sp, and 60 v-max @ $19, 55sp-$15 55fmj-$13 all from Midway. Free ship
Never checked if bullets are on that deal. LVR powder in stock which works great in 223 with 75gr Hornady and 60gr v-max.

Last edited:
Back