Redfield

pyscodog

I have an old Redfield scope I was wanting repaired so thinking Leupold owned Redfield, I gave them a call. Interesting, Leupold sold the new Redfield line to Academy Sports. I also found out they can't repair my old original Redfield. Bummer as it was a perfect match in age and power for my Sako Finnbear. Ironsighter in Tulsa can do the repair but all I have heard is how slow repairs are. They do excellent work but not very fast. I'm not sure what to do now. The glass is crystal clear and the scope is in nice condition. The elevation dial feels like it is actually unscrewing when you reach a certain point. POI seemed like it was going crazy so I think something inside is broken. I just don't know if its really worth the money and time to get it repaired.

Originally Posted By: Bearmy gunsmith has a sign that says Do you want a fast crappy job or a slower great job?

Ironsighter charges about $120 to repair scopes, and the only ones that do Redfield repair according to Leupold. I'm just not sure the scope would be worth that amount after being repaired. I have already replaced it with a Bushnell Elite 3500 which is probably a better scope and works just fine. I just like the look of the old Redfield. I just thought it strange that Academy now owns Redfield.

Optically, and most likely mechanically, most new, $200 scopes will blow that old Redfield away.

I have several of the Redfield Widefields that were made in the 70's, and they were a very nice scope for the day, but the improvements in anti-reflective coatings alone would prevent me from spending money on them for repairs.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.Optically, and most likely mechanically, most new, $200 scopes will blow that old Redfield away.

I have several of the Redfield Widefields that were made in the 70's, and they were a very nice scope for the day, but the improvements in anti-reflective coatings alone would prevent me from spending money on them for repairs.

This is why I hesitate to repair it. Even though the glass is clear, the cost of repair is probably more than the scope is worth. I already replaced it with a new scope. Doesn't have as classy of a look but it functions way better.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have an old Redfield scope I was wanting repaired so thinking Leupold owned Redfield, I gave them a call. Interesting, Leupold sold the new Redfield line to Academy Sports. I also found out they can't repair my old original Redfield. Bummer as it was a perfect match in age and power for my Sako Finnbear. Ironsighter in Tulsa can do the repair but all I have heard is how slow repairs are. They do excellent work but not very fast. I'm not sure what to do now. The glass is crystal clear and the scope is in nice condition. The elevation dial feels like it is actually unscrewing when you reach a certain point. POI seemed like it was going crazy so I think something inside is broken. I just don't know if its really worth the money and time to get it repaired.

I'm not sure how old you are talking, but Redfield was the best kept secret in my opinion. I have one of their later scopes, the revenge in a 6-18 and it's basically a VX-II.

I love it. It has 1/8" moa clicks, the glass is fantastic. I don't really use the range finding reticle, but have tested it out and it works well enough to get close.

I hope you find a suitable replacement.

Its just an older Redfield. I can't honestly say how old for sure. There are no markings as to USA made or a name like Five Star. Its got a serial number and Redfield and thats about it. Its a 2x7 and a duplex reticle but the glass is very clear. Gloss finish and no ring marks either. Maybe it would be worth the $120 to get it repaired??? I think the year long wait bothers me more than the cost. And...I could be wrong about the wait time as I haven't talked to them personally as of yet. All my information is just what I've read off the web site.

As of a replacement, I got a nice Bushnell Elite on the rifle now and its a very nice piece of glass.

My thoughts are for $120.00 you can't get a quality scope. Functional sure, quality no. You already replaced it, so why worry about the wait. I'd do it if you want it to partner up with your Sako

Back