What's your favorite coon bait for dogproofs

Corn or cat food, with some cheap imitation vanilla extract sprayed around trap. I drill a hole in cap, and plug it with a toothpick. pull toothpick, squeeze the bottle to spray around trap.

Corn, dog food, cat food, tuna, anything that’s went bad in the refrigerator. Also started putting empty yogurt containers over the trap after we bait them. Keeps your bait dry and if you see the yogurt cup is still on the trap just drive on to the next one.

Last edited:
Since the thread got revised, I’ll add to it. I add a golf ball to the top, to eliminate mice robbing the bait. Also is an attractant and reduces moisture getting in. And I drill a shallow hole in case I want to add fish oil. This way, you get the scent, but not as much mess on the inside.

Last edited:
I always saved trout and used cut up pieces along with dry cat food…trout works as an attractor, and cat food gives them something to reach in and grab. Always sprinkled some cat food next to and on top of the traps as well…I preferred the Z-Traps brand traps as they had a push/pull lever.

What kind of bait would you use specifically for possums, or does it matter? I seem to have an infestation of them on the farm.

A 50# bag of corn will last for years. Put just enough in to cover the trigger. Coons, possums, and even Greys will eat it.
Want to spice it up add a little grape Koolaide to the corn. This works all year.

During the cold months (no ants) the cheapest fish based bag of catfood you can find works. You can spice it up the same way with grape Koolaide. Works best when it’s a dry period. Again, it will also catch coons, possums, and Greys.

Just signed on to P.M. but have been trapping and calling predators for a long time, I trap Coons year around and use dry dog food it's cheap and easy to use, Coons like it i get 2-3 coons a day from 10 dog proof traps,sets are close to water. Murl B

Back