GPS help

weneedtoo

Misplaced my Garmin GPS. May have to get a new one. It was 10-12 years old but probably still works. Anyway, With electronics changing so fast, What would you recommend? Is there still someone here that makes landowner chips for GPS state by state?
Thanks

Gaia GPS. Its an app for your phone using the internal GPS. It is a yearly subscription, Sometimes they have deals/sales. I put my phone on airplane mode to save battery life and it works fine. Saves your waypoints and routes to the cloud. You can later look at them online and you can also plan areas to hunt in on you laptop and they will be on the phone or tablet.

When my brother and i go to Maine bird hunting i use my 10 tablet on the dashboard instead of a small GPS unit. Has all of the logging roads and topo maps. Best of all if you loose the phone you maps and waypoints will still be avalible.

You could probably go back to where you lost the phone and be able to find it. When i first got it i carried a garmin as back up, but now the phone goes with me anyway for emergency use, one less thing to carry. Check them out on youtube.

Steve

on-x maps for your phone.

they have offline availability (you can go into airplane mode in areas with no signal and really conserve battery) and the map/plat data is updated regularly.

annual subscriptions are like $30 but they also do a black friday/christmas sale at 30% off (basically $20/yr) as well as some other offers throughout the year - i beleive fathers day is one of them.

BaseMap or OnX. There's not really much need for an additional standalone GPS device when you already have the capability with your phone. Usually easier and better capability with more information too. Save money and weight.

I resisted GPS until last year even though most areas I hunt and hike have zero cell reception. I use BaseMap and it's super useful especially in offline mode with pre-downloaded maps.

Back