Unloading reloaded ammo

H82Miss

A buddy of mine told me he has about 50 rounds of 300 Win mag ammo that his brother "reloaded" for him and he said "it's not loaded right."
He asked me if I could unload it for him and salvage what I can.
I'm very new to reloading and have never "unloaded" ammo.
Is it as simple as pulling the bullets, dumping the powder in a container, and... what to do with the primers?
Thanks for any info, sounds simple but I really don't want to blow myself up on account of not knowing what I don't know.

It's really that simple. If he knows what primers were used just leave them and resize without removing them if they fit your needs. If they are unknown then decap gently wearing glasses and dispose of them in the trash.

Greg

Last edited:
You will need either a hammer style bullet puller, a collet style or a Grip N Pull style. I currently use both the Grip N Pull and hammer style with good results. Be careful and wear glasses and ear pro. If its been loaded recently, I doubt you will have any issues. If you know the powder used, salvage it and use it in plinking loads. Primers can either be left in OR remove them and toss em. Me personally, If I dont prime the case myself, I decap and reprime. If you do remove the primers, a standard decapping die can be used without issue, just dont ram it up in there super fast.

The collet and gripper dies are a lot faster than the hammer. I have all of them and rarely use the hammer.

Originally Posted By: BearThe collet and gripper dies are a lot faster than the hammer. I have all of them and rarely use the hammer.

Much faster and far better job. I like the Hornady model collet die personally.

throw the powder away, how would you be sure of what it was? Primers, I'd reuse them for plinking loads. I'd full length size the brass and start from scratch.

The hammer style would work but for 50 rounds, I would use collet style. I have both styles. I'll use the hammer for a one or two rounds. If I have multiple rounds, I'll set up the collet.

What is wrong with the loads. Wrong powder charge? Wrong seating depth of bullet for his gun?

You should be able to reload the bullets. I reuse the powder and don't removed the primers from ammunition that I pull apart but I've only pulled apart stuff I've loaded myself and know what it its. Unless you are 100% sure on the powder I wouldn't reuse it. I would probably not remove the primers and just use them but it is kind of hard to make a judgment call when we don't know all the details.

you wont regret getting a good collet puller.

i used to hammer them out... ugh. never again.

i got mine when i had to break down several hundred rounds given to me by a friend that were over crimped (dangerously).

I hate the hammer style. Not only is it very noisy but it FUBARS the tips of the bullets when they release from the case. A collet style works much better and faster and doesn't pizz off the family with the noise your making. I only reuse powder and primers when I am positive what they are. Any doubt, I burn the powder and trash the primers. At least I did before they got so scarce. Now I might use them for foulers or plinking.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI hate the hammer style. Not only is it very noisy but it FUBARS the tips of the bullets when they release from the case. A collet style works much better and faster and doesn't pizz off the family with the noise your making. I only reuse powder and primers when I am positive what they are. Any doubt, I burn the powder and trash the primers. At least I did before they got so scarce. Now I might use them for foulers or plinking.

I put a rolled up plastic bag in the hammer style to soften the blow considerably. I agree though, collet or grip and pull style on the bench is less noise and generally much quicker

Never used a hammer puller; just didn't look too efficient. Someone suggested putting an foam earplug in the hammer puller to save bullet points, sounds like a good plan to me if using that type puller.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Never used a hammer puller; just didn't look too efficient. Someone suggested putting an foam earplug in the hammer puller to save bullet points, sounds like a good plan to me if using that type puller.

Regards,
hm

It's worked well for me for 40 years..lol

Greg

Back