Advice in building an AR

My advice don’t do it. Do one will buy it if you want to sale it later. Buyers shy away from them for Liability reason. Don’t ask how I know. Marty

Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANMy advice don’t do it. Do one will buy it if you want to sale it later. Buyers shy away from them for Liability reason. Don’t ask how I know. Marty

liability reasons? lol

Originally Posted By: mattdenney07Building one for the first time from the ground up is super satisfying, especially when you take your first coyote with it.
Or your one hundred and first
smile.gif

Last edited:
Liability reasons meaning if it blows up in your face ( rare but can happen ) who you going to take to take to court. my friend Took a AR15 that he built with the best components to brownells last week. Their AR15 expert looked it at snd sorry sir we cannot make a offer on it. To much Liability if we sale it to some one and They have problems. Marty

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: mattdenney07Building one for the first time from the ground up is super satisfying, especially when you take your first coyote with it.
Or your one hundred and first
smile.gif

I know that's right. I've only built a few, but there's nothing like hunting with a rifle you built and bullets you've handloaded!

Build it if you have the equipment, do you have all the tools needed to torque a barrel nut, tighten your muzzle device if used, or tighten a castle nut or handguard ? Figure those costs into your build.
Like others have said spend your money on the barrel, lots of great barrel manufacturers out there and lots not so great. Next is a really good trigger.

I tried to read all of this post. I hope I did not miss this.
When buying a stripped lower, your dealer should not list it as a rifle or pistol.
They leave this off the 4473, just user intended.
That way you can change it from rifle to pistol and if you want to back to a rifle
Now if you buy a complete AR rifle it can not be changed to a pistol.
This is one of those laws they do not tell you about. Ask for a copy of the 4473.
Save this copy for your records. This is how my dealer explained it to me.

Your dealer explained it wrong. In the logbook (disposition book) that a dealer must keep it needs to specify what type of gun it is such as rifle, pistol or receiver. I've gone through several ATF audits in the past and you cannot leave that blank on a 4473 if you want to keep your dealer license. The ATF is very anal when it comes to the 4473 form. They don't even allow for abbreviations.

Atheris is a good company. Ive bought a few barrels from their supplier.
If it was me. I'd buy a good upper receiver, I usually use ballistic advantage or faxon barrels for most my rides. But I've got several black hole barrels as well. You should look at Odin as well. At least get an upper lapping kit to go over whatever upper you buy.
I use Midwest industries handguards or seekins.

I normally look to spend about 1000 building a rifle. Then glas I'm top. If you want side charge look at gibbz. The BCA are cheap. I hate the reciprocating charge handle. And I know of a few guys that the handle actually broke or wholloed the threaded hole out.
BCG I like several. But I normally buy from aim surplus. Triggers I use trigger tech and currently started trying out the hard ar module trigger. It's pretty nice

Back