Advice in building an AR

twehri89

Looking to build a 224 Valkyrie and I'm looking for some advice or tips on what brands to steer clear of and which brands to dive into. It would be easiest to by a complete upper but I like the idea of building one from the barrel up. I wouldn't mind buying a complete lower but it would probably be fun to build that myself as well. For the rifle itself I'd like to stay somewhat reasonable on price, maybe $1400 on the top end and I'll worry about the glass later. The rifle would be mainly used for coyotes and prairie dogs, also doesn't need to be anything really fancy as I could see it spending a lot of time riding in the pickup or tractor. If anyone has advice on what has worked best for them, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any input.

I buy complete uppers from bca and then rebarrel. You would need a bolt too. I prefer the side charging style for hunting.

Last edited:
No advice that’s Valkyrie specific, but spend your money on the barrel if you do it yourself. The rest of the parts aren’t as important to accuracy on the upper. Once you buy the lower or put one together, a nice trigger will make it much better. That’s the two pieces not to go cheap on. Mil spec triggers work, and so do entry level barrels, but to get the most out of the platform, it’s been my experience that a nice barrel and trigger are the key.

I agree with AdamT, spend your money on the barrel and the trigger. I've built 4 AR lowers and uppers. An AR15 isn't difficult to build but it does take time to put together and having the correct tools makes it easier. If you enjoy projects, then don't hesitate to build the upper and lower yourself. There are numerous youtube videos on how to put together an AR that you could watch to give yourself an idea of what you are getting into.

The one challenge right now is difficulty in finding parts at a reasonable price. If you find a complete upper or lower that you like at a decent price, it may be less expensive than putting it together yourself. The most difficult part of putting it together yourself will likely be researching and buying the parts you need.

For $1400 you can a nice AR. Buy a quality barrel and trigger. Those two components affect accuracy most. Depending on what bullet you want to shoot for coyote and prairie dogs you may be better off with a 223. The Valkyrie is not going to give you much over the 223 unless you intend to shoot the heavy bullets. For the heavy bullets, make sure you get a 6 1/2 or 7 twist. My 8 twist does not like anything heavier than an 80 gr bullet. Parts can be found, you just need to look. The stripped upper and lower will be the hardest part. An AR is not hard to build. You should be able to put one together in an hour easily. Quicker after you do a few.

You will have trouble finding a 6.8 BCG right now though.

Last edited:
I would go 22 Nosler long before the Valkyrie for coyotes. The next would probably be 6 arc if I wanted to stay with a commercial round. Like stated by everyone above. A good barrel is they key to accuracy and next is a good trigger. I could assemble 2 accurate Ar's for 1400 bucks.

Last edited:
You don't need to spend 1400 building a good AR. Most upper receivers are the same.
For a handguard I'd buy a STNGR for around $140. Most BCGs have been OOS but if you search enough you'll find one.
You can find an Anderson or an Aero lower receiver and a decent parts kit. Get some Magpul furniture.
Buy a buffer tube and buffer from damage industries.
I'd spend money on a good barrel and trigger but even then you can find deals.
I just built one with pretty good parts for around $900 with a decent scope

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I would go 22 Nosler long before the Valkyrie for coyotes. The next would probably be 6 arc if I wanted to stay with a commercial round.

Same here!

I appreciate the info! Sounds to me like I can still pinch some pennies and end up with a pretty solid shooter. When it comes to a barrel, do any of you have any brands that you'd recommend?

I like White Oak Armament. I won’t look to use anything else unless there’s a cartridge I want they don’t offer. The only non White Oak barrel I have left is a Noveske on my old M4 setup, which is not intended for shooting small groups or critters.

I’ve had Black Hole Weaponry and Bison Armory in the past also, and they were ok too.

Right now the problem is finding any parts in stock at all, if a guy isn't too picky he could probably put together something that shoots. Triggers are pretty commonly available but bolts and bolt carrier groups are scarce unless you are looking for a pistol caliber. White Oak looks to be completely out of barrels.

I don't know what the opinions are on CMMG but they have a 24 inch 22 nosler for 399.I had it in my cart but went with a shilen 24 inch 204 after refreshing my memory about nosgar.

Has anybody dealt with Atheris barrels? They currently have 22" stainless barrel with a BCG for $325. Wondering if its something to jump on or keep searching.

It says they are 6 twist. That would be too fast for any bullet I would shoot but as stated before I'm not a heavy for caliber guy and I have no interest in the Valkyrie.

Last edited:
Back