Question Re: 9.5Ti Warn Winch

hm1996

Staff member
Have an unusual situation; anyone have a clue as to whether a fully charged Optima 9004-003 Group 34/78 12V Red Top Battery would have the capacity to pull a TJ Wrangler up on low boy trailer with the 9.5Ti vehicle mounted Warn winch without engine running to keep battery up?

My jeep fuel pump has apparently died and need to haul it from ranch to shop. Trailer only option. Will probably carry an extra battery from friend's pickup just in case, because if jeep battery went south w/enough weight behind the trailer axles would be unable to disconnect pickup from trailer to use jumpers.

35772507032_a71a8399d9_c.jpg

Regards,
hm

you should be able to gett'er up there on a full charge.

like you said.. having a spare battery along - or even a come-along - would surely get the job done.

Should very easily winch the Jeep onto the trailer with starting juice left to spare. I've seen me do it.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneyou should be able to gett'er up there on a full charge.

like you said.. having a spare battery along - or even a come-along - would surely get the job done.

Gave my come-along away, but there's a tractor jack on front bumper of jeep and Don's going with me when we go & said he didn't mind taking his truck battery with us just in case.

Quote: Should very easily winch the Jeep onto the trailer with starting juice left to spare. I've seen me do it.

- DAA

Quote: I've seen me do it. Glad you weighed in, Dave, I kinda figured you to have had this experience at least once.
lol.gif

Thanks, guys. Knew it would work, but I've never used the winch w/o engine running and didn't have a clue how fast it would drain the battery.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onehaving a spare battery along - or even a come-along - would surely get the job done.

I do have a good sized boat trailer winch mounted in bed of truck to drag Nilgai up a ramp into bed of truck. I'd bet if the front end of jeep was already on trailer, that winch would pull the [beeep] end rest of way up with it's snatch block. I think the weak link there might be that I bolted the 3" angle iron to the bed of truck, not frame. Hopefully it won't come to that.

36240226574_eb6c138ab4_c.jpg

36886987316_38da9ed4d4_c.jpg

Regards,
hm

My hunting partner and I planned a combo trip to ranch last week with intention of making a few stands in the morning, loading jeep up around noon and bringing it home.

We arrived at camp at daylight and headed for a favorite stand not far from camp. Light SE breeze, set up decoy/call about 50 yds. east on south side of two track. About 25 minutes in a large male came trotting in from the south. Barked him to a stop a few yards past the call and my partner knocked him down just as my trigger broke.

51105265026_ab507e3f84_c.jpg

Made four more stands w/o any takers, but did see a couple of interesting snake tracks a few yards from where a huge snake had crossed a few years ago. There were several “crossings” of various ages across the roadway; two old tracks visible to left of the fresh track shown below.
51106225130_232f78cc97_c.jpg

Got back to camp, around noon and the work started. Had several plans in mind, and with limited maneuvering, decided to try to get everything lined up on the caliche “parking lot” between the two pole barns. My jeep was near center of the south barn and trailer in next stall to east (J & T). Only about 10' of maneuvering room between my truck & the brush line opposite the pole barn when trailer hooked on front hitch. So close it would be impossible to make the turn to back trailer into the narrow stalls.
51106217655_fab9976860_c.jpg

We used the rear 1500 # game winch cable to hook up to pickup and drag the jeep out with pickup, then hooked it to the base of a pole in the west pole barn.
51105247871_157111fb9b_n.jpg
51105183069_d439d2e89c_n.jpg

The little 1500# ATV winch handled the jeep easily on flat ground.
51105238571_01158a9709_c.jpg

With the trailer on front of pickup, positioning trailer to load the jeep was easy in spite of cramped quarters. With only 2” clearance between trailer rails and tire sidewalls, had to have a straight shot. Should have hooked the chain shorter but winch/battery performed beautifully! We had three sets of jumper cables that we figured would reach from my truck to the jeep if battery had failed, but they were not needed.
51105177789_d8dbd32e9a_c.jpg

After adjusting the chain harness and positioning jeep on trailer, boomed her down and all that was left was to hook trailer on right end of pickup, stop by the barn to air trailer tires up a bit and hit the road.

51105229176_5d99c2ef97_c.jpg

Appreciate the advise and support, guys.

Regards,
hm

Back