Christensen Arms

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3275174 - 03/31/21 03:31 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Acronin]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
Have you measured OAL of the case? It may need trimmed or the shoulder bumped back a little. What's the odds your working with reloads in a factory box? Have you tried a factory round that you know is a factory round? Just throwing stuff out there that might cause your problem. I'm curious as to what you find out.

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

#3275215 - 04/01/21 10:28 AM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: pyscodog]
Acronin Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: NE
Originally Posted By: pyscodog
Have you measured OAL of the case? It may need trimmed or the shoulder bumped back a little. What's the odds your working with reloads in a factory box? Have you tried a factory round that you know is a factory round? Just throwing stuff out there that might cause your problem. I'm curious as to what you find out.

Yep, the length of the brass is 2.525 and the trim length is 2.530 and SAAMI is 2.540. So that's not the issue.

I did end up using a marker on the shoulder of 3 pieces of brass and the ring on the shoulder was forward about .005-.010" (I didn't measure just an eyeball).

I did contact Ruger and I'm waiting to hear their response.

Tonight I'm going to try .270 Win brass and see if it fits. I know the bore is .284 because there are no marks on the bullet itself when trying to load the factory ammo, UNLESS the cartridge is so far bak the bullet hasn't engaged the chamber deep enough to know. HMMMM.

Anyway, the barrel is stamped .280 Rem, the headstamps are .280 Rem and the ammo is labeled .280 Rem. I have a suspicion that it's actually been cut to a .270...

Thoughts?

#3275525 - 04/06/21 02:07 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Acronin]
Acronin Offline
Die Hard Member

I spoke with two gun smiths and they both told me to call Ruger, which I already had.

Ruger said that they will have me send it in, but they didn't feel confident they could fix the rifle. To me it's as simple as reaming it out or slapping a new barrel in, but what do I know.

Then she said that if they couldn't fix it, it's obvious a factor defect, then they'd provide me with a replacement.

Can't beat that. . . the only issue is that they don't have a single rifle chambered in .280 Rem. They have an african model in .280AI, but I don't really like that model.

So I guess if they replace it, I won't be disappointed, but then I may turn around a try to sell the rifle and get a .280 chambered in something else.

What would you guys do?

Andy

#3275533 - 04/06/21 03:59 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Acronin]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Hard to really say. You won't get a tang safety model back if they replace it. If it were mine, and wanted to keep the tang safety, I'd let a smith run a reamer in it. Did you by chance, polish the chamber or look at it with a scope? A piece of steel wool on a dowel rod and a drill with a little oil may fix it. I polished my 7mm08 chamber and it shoots great. Looked like 10 miles of bad road before I polished it. Now its my go to deer rifle.

I had a NIB Savage in 308 that wouldn't chamber a round at 2.800. Pretty much standard length for a 168 grain bullet. I took it to my smith and he ran a reamer in it by hand. Took about 5 minutes and solved my problem. Gun shot great after that.

Just throwing things at you. Hate to see a tang safety Ruger go to waste.

#3275536 - 04/06/21 06:50 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Acronin]
Winny Fan Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: Acronin
I spoke with two gun smiths and they both told me to call Ruger, which I already had.

Ruger said that they will have me send it in, but they didn't feel confident they could fix the rifle. To me it's as simple as reaming it out or slapping a new barrel in, but what do I know.

Then she said that if they couldn't fix it, it's obvious a factor defect, then they'd provide me with a replacement.

Can't beat that. . . the only issue is that they don't have a single rifle chambered in .280 Rem. They have an african model in .280AI, but I don't really like that model.

So I guess if they replace it, I won't be disappointed, but then I may turn around a try to sell the rifle and get a .280 chambered in something else.

What would you guys do?

Andy

I definitely would not sell it until I knew what the issue is and that it had been resolved. Otherwise you're just passing your problem on to someone else who then owns your problem and you have his money. That is not a good scenario for either of you, IMO.

Have you ever tried cerrosafe in a chamber? Its relatively easy to use and it might reveal what is going on with the chamber. A gunsmith won't charge much to use it if it's not something that you want to do yourself.

Not sure what you mean by, "Anyway, the barrel is stamped .280 Rem, the headstamps are .280 Rem and the ammo is labeled .280 Rem. I have a suspicion that it's actually been cut to a .270..."

A 270 has a different bore diameter than a 280 does. A 270 Win has a.277" bore diameter versus a .284" bore diameter for the 280 Rem. I'm not sure what you actually mean by your comment...??

Some people think that they are quoting Einstein when in fact they are saying something that would make even Einstein say, "HUH?".

Ain't that right, Bill?

#3275542 - 04/06/21 07:57 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Acronin]
ackleyman Offline
PM senior

Loc: Hickville
I would take the African 280 AI and never look back! Ruger's new barrels are really nice, it would be a shooter.

Ruger only rebarrels current models as they never know what is going to happen when they try and unscrew a barrel due to the way they are put together....long story.

#3275560 - 04/06/21 11:45 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: ackleyman]
Winny Fan Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: ackleyman
I would take the African 280 AI and never look back! Ruger's new barrels are really nice, it would be a shooter.

Ruger only rebarrels current models as they never know what is going to happen when they try and unscrew a barrel due to the way they are put together....long story.

Re-barreling one of the old tang safety Model 77 rifles is a long story. laugh

Early this year I bought one of the 2020 Edition Lipsey 1 of 250 Ruger Hawkeye African rifles in 280 AI. It shoots extremely well and it is a very nice looking rifle with the very nice walnut stock, a deep blue metal finish, open sights, and the barrel band sling swivel.

There's not too much to not like about the rifle.

I will add that it is not a large heavy rifle like a 375 H&H or like the other larger caliber Model 77 African rifles have been. It's actually a very trim and light, nice handling rifle. It just carries the African name for marketing purposes.

I have no idea if the factory rifle that Ruger might offer is like the Lipsey model or if its like the older African rifles built to handle recoil.

Maybe 10 yeas ago I bought a Ruger special Model 77 African rifle chambered in 223 Remington. It was a full size African model rifle and not worth lugging around for me with the 223 chamber. It went down the road fairly quickly......

Some people think that they are quoting Einstein when in fact they are saying something that would make even Einstein say, "HUH?".

Ain't that right, Bill?

#3275573 - 04/07/21 09:38 AM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: pyscodog]
Acronin Offline
Die Hard Member

Hard to really say. You won't get a tang safety model back if they replace it. If it were mine, and wanted to keep the tang safety, I'd let a smith run a reamer in it. Did you by chance, polish the chamber or look at it with a scope? A piece of steel wool on a dowel rod and a drill with a little oil may fix it. I polished my 7mm08 chamber and it shoots great. Looked like 10 miles of bad road before I polished it. Now its my go to deer rifle.

I had a NIB Savage in 308 that wouldn't chamber a round at 2.800. Pretty much standard length for a 168 grain bullet. I took it to my smith and he ran a reamer in it by hand. Took about 5 minutes and solved my problem. Gun shot great after that.

Just throwing things at you. Hate to see a tang safety Ruger go to waste.

I bore scoped it and it's not a polishing issue. The chamber is too tight around the shoulder. It won't come close to chambering a round. I markered a piece of brass and the opening to the chamber isn't big enough.

Andy

#3275574 - 04/07/21 09:40 AM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Winny Fan]
Acronin Offline
Die Hard Member

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan

What would you guys do?

Andy

I definitely would not sell it until I knew what the issue is and that it had been resolved. Otherwise you're just passing your problem on to someone else who then owns your problem and you have his money. That is not a good scenario for either of you, IMO.

Have you ever tried cerrosafe in a chamber? Its relatively easy to use and it might reveal what is going on with the chamber. A gunsmith won't charge much to use it if it's not something that you want to do yourself.

Not sure what you mean by, "Anyway, the barrel is stamped .280 Rem, the headstamps are .280 Rem and the ammo is labeled .280 Rem. I have a suspicion that it's actually been cut to a .270..."

A 270 has a different bore diameter than a 280 does. A 270 Win has a.277" bore diameter versus a .284" bore diameter for the 280 Rem. I'm not sure what you actually mean by your comment...??

you misunderstood or I wasn't clear. I would take the replacement rifle from Ruger and sell that and get the rifle I want. Ethically I would never sell this one and pass the issue one. It's criminal.

I'm not a fan of the look of the African with the barrel band. To each his own. ..

#3275575 - 04/07/21 09:44 AM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Winny Fan]
Acronin Offline
Die Hard Member

What would you guys do?

Andy

What I mean is that the barrel is .284" diameter, but I think somebody reemed it out with a .270 reamer. Now this may not be the issue at all and since I don't think this is the issue. But without a doubt the chamber isn't wide enough at the shoulder. I was thining the .270 was based of the original .30-03 and the .280 off the .30-06. But I do think there is a small difference between .280 and .270 to prevent one from chambering in the other.

Maybe none of this makes sense.

#3275578 - 04/07/21 11:02 AM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Acronin]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Well it sounds like you have a few options. You can send it in to Ruger and see what they do. You might come out with a NIB Ruger that you can flip. Not bad for a $500 investment. Or, you could have your smith run a 280 reamer in the chamber and clean it up. Or... you could rebarrel it. Let us know how it turns out which ever way you go.

#3275581 - 04/07/21 12:34 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Acronin]
Winny Fan Offline
Die Hard Member III

What would you guys do?

Andy

What I mean is that the barrel is .284" diameter, but I think somebody reemed it out with a .270 reamer. Now this may not be the issue at all and since I don't think this is the issue. But without a doubt the chamber isn't wide enough at the shoulder. I was thining the .270 was based of the original .30-03 and the .280 off the .30-06. But I do think there is a small difference between .280 and .270 to prevent one from chambering in the other.

Maybe none of this makes sense.

No doubt it could have been worded better from the git-go, but I understand after your additions. I hope you can get it all worked out.

Ain't that right, Bill?

#3275602 - 04/07/21 09:19 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Acronin]
Winny Fan Offline
Die Hard Member III

Sometimes it's a rough but highly insecure crowd here. laugh

So.......just for the gentleman who chose to "call me out" about my claim to owning a Lipsey 1 of 250 280 AI Ruger African rifle, I happen to have a couple of cell phone pictures of it, so here you are. However, I'm not showing you the certificate I have for it just so you can see where my rifle falls production-wise in the 250 rifles. I'll let you draw straws on that one, and you'll just have to trust me.

And don't ask for pictures of My Nosler Liberty Model 48 rifle, also in 280 AI, or my Cooper Model 52 or my Ruger #1 Tropical Rifle, both in plain jane 280 Remington (Now that you know that I own them too.). I don't have any pictures of them and I'm not going to drag them out and take some pictures just to further hammer..., uh whoops, to humor your shallow ego. laugh laugh

Dang........!! I'm glad that insecurity isn't contagious. A guy could catch a bad rash around here if it was.

Ain't that right, Bill?

#3275608 - 04/07/21 10:51 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: Acronin]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Dang that's purdy Winny. What's not to like? Ruger has always made nice looking rifles.

#3275609 - 04/07/21 10:59 PM Re: Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington [Re: pyscodog]
Winny Fan Offline
Die Hard Member III

Dang that's purdy Winny. What's not to like? Ruger has always made nice looking rifles.

I couldn't agree more, psycho.

The cell phone pics really don't do justice to the light but very nice figure in the butt stock of the rifle. You can easily see the dark streak running through the pistol grip into the butt of the stock, but the rest of the figure is kinda' dimmed. Overall, the stock is far far from being AAA+ grade wood, but it is a very nice looking stock.

Poor cell phone photography skills would be my guess........ laugh

Ain't that right, Bill?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.