Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington

Well it sounds like you have a few options. You can send it in to Ruger and see what they do. You might come out with a NIB Ruger that you can flip. Not bad for a $500 investment. Or, you could have your smith run a 280 reamer in the chamber and clean it up. Or... you could rebarrel it. Let us know how it turns out which ever way you go.

Originally Posted By: AcroninOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: AcroninI spoke with two gun smiths and they both told me to call Ruger, which I already had.

Ruger said that they will have me send it in, but they didn't feel confident they could fix the rifle. To me it's as simple as reaming it out or slapping a new barrel in, but what do I know.

Then she said that if they couldn't fix it, it's obvious a factor defect, then they'd provide me with a replacement.

Can't beat that. . . the only issue is that they don't have a single rifle chambered in .280 Rem. They have an african model in .280AI, but I don't really like that model.

So I guess if they replace it, I won't be disappointed, but then I may turn around a try to sell the rifle and get a .280 chambered in something else.

What would you guys do?

Andy

I definitely would not sell it until I knew what the issue is and that it had been resolved. Otherwise you're just passing your problem on to someone else who then owns your problem and you have his money. That is not a good scenario for either of you, IMO.

Have you ever tried cerrosafe in a chamber? Its relatively easy to use and it might reveal what is going on with the chamber. A gunsmith won't charge much to use it if it's not something that you want to do yourself.

Not sure what you mean by, "Anyway, the barrel is stamped .280 Rem, the headstamps are .280 Rem and the ammo is labeled .280 Rem. I have a suspicion that it's actually been cut to a .270..."

A 270 has a different bore diameter than a 280 does. A 270 Win has a.277" bore diameter versus a .284" bore diameter for the 280 Rem. I'm not sure what you actually mean by your comment...??

What I mean is that the barrel is .284" diameter, but I think somebody reemed it out with a .270 reamer. Now this may not be the issue at all and since I don't think this is the issue. But without a doubt the chamber isn't wide enough at the shoulder. I was thining the .270 was based of the original .30-03 and the .280 off the .30-06. But I do think there is a small difference between .280 and .270 to prevent one from chambering in the other.

Maybe none of this makes sense.

No doubt it could have been worded better from the git-go, but I understand after your additions. I hope you can get it all worked out.

Sometimes it's a rough but highly insecure crowd here.
laugh.gif

So.......just for the gentleman who chose to "call me out" about my claim to owning a Lipsey 1 of 250 280 AI Ruger African rifle, I happen to have a couple of cell phone pictures of it, so here you are. However, I'm not showing you the certificate I have for it just so you can see where my rifle falls production-wise in the 250 rifles. I'll let you draw straws on that one, and you'll just have to trust me.

tcLEDaWl.jpg

ewBHnNyl.jpg

PhTcoNal.jpg

And don't ask for pictures of My Nosler Liberty Model 48 rifle, also in 280 AI, or my Cooper Model 52 or my Ruger #1 Tropical Rifle, both in plain jane 280 Remington (Now that you know that I own them too.). I don't have any pictures of them and I'm not going to drag them out and take some pictures just to further hammer..., uh whoops, to humor your shallow ego.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Dang........!! I'm glad that insecurity isn't contagious. A guy could catch a bad rash around here if it was.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogDang that's purdy Winny. What's not to like? Ruger has always made nice looking rifles.

I couldn't agree more, psycho.

The cell phone pics really don't do justice to the light but very nice figure in the butt stock of the rifle. You can easily see the dark streak running through the pistol grip into the butt of the stock, but the rest of the figure is kinda' dimmed. Overall, the stock is far far from being AAA+ grade wood, but it is a very nice looking stock.

Poor cell phone photography skills would be my guess........
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Winny FanSometimes it's a rough but highly insecure crowd here.
laugh.gif

So.......just for the gentleman who chose to "call me out" about my claim to owning a Lipsey 1 of 250 280 AI Ruger African rifle, I happen to have a couple of cell phone pictures of it, so here you are. However, I'm not showing you the certificate I have for it just so you can see where my rifle falls production-wise in the 250 rifles. I'll let you draw straws on that one, and you'll just have to trust me.

tcLEDaWl.jpg

ewBHnNyl.jpg

PhTcoNal.jpg

And don't ask for pictures of My Nosler Liberty Model 48 rifle, also in 280 AI, or my Cooper Model 52 or my Ruger #1 Tropical Rifle, both in plain jane 280 Remington (Now that you know that I own them too.). I don't have any pictures of them and I'm not going to drag them out and take some pictures just to further hamm..., uh, humor your shallow ego.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Dang........!! I'm glad that insecurity isn't contagious. A guy could catch a bad rash around here if it was.

Did I call you out? If so I didn't mean to. I just commented on how I wasn't particularly in love with the African's look. It's a beautiful rifle, just not my style.

Andy

Originally Posted By: AcroninOriginally Posted By: Winny FanSometimes it's a rough but highly insecure crowd here.
laugh.gif

tcLEDaWl.jpg

ewBHnNyl.jpg

PhTcoNal.jpg

And don't ask for pictures of My Nosler Liberty Model 48 rifle, also in 280 AI, or my Cooper Model 52 or my Ruger #1 Tropical Rifle, both in plain jane 280 Remington (Now that you know that I own them too.). I don't have any pictures of them and I'm not going to drag them out and take some pictures just to further hamm..., uh, humor your shallow ego.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Did I call you out? If so I didn't mean to. I just commented on how I wasn't particularly in love with the African's look. It's a beautiful rifle, just not my style.

Andy
Lol.... No. It was not you unless you have a sock puppet that you hide behind. I actually got called out by PM on another forum for what I posted here, so I decide to respond here. I have no idea who the poor soul is in real life, and I could care less because I own something that he obviously doesn't. And that the fact somehow make him feel insecure, as he related it to me in the PM, is well below my GAF level.
laugh.gif

What you posted here didn't even make my radar screen blink. We all like and dislike different things.

After seeing Winny's rifle, I'd send it in and Hope they sent me a new rifle. I'm not a big fan of sights but bet I could deal with it.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAfter seeing Winny's rifle, I'd send it in and Hope they sent me a new rifle. I'm not a big fan of sights but bet I could deal with it.

From looking at Ruger's web site, it loks like the Lipsey style lighter rifle is what they would do a replacement with. After seeing the specs, now I'm wondering if they have lightened up all of their African rifles.

I have a maybe 10 year old 375 H&H Ruger African and it is a much larger and heavier rifle when compared to the 280 AI rifle. Same same with the 223 Rem caliber Ruger African rifle that I mentioned earlier in another post here. It was a beast for a 223 Rem chambered rifle......
laugh.gif

One other additional comment about the Lipsey Model 77 African rifle. The front of the stock is drilled in the usual location for a normal sling swivel to be mounted. The screw-in sling swivel itself is included in the factory box. The hole is covered by a very attractive flush mounted screw that has a Torx screw hole in the center that fits the supplied scope ring Torx screw wrench. I have no idea if the factory offering has this option or not, but my money is on them having it also.

I can also attest to the beauty of those Ruger African Models. This one is in 9.3x62mm. I would love to get a .280AI for its twin sister but its low on the priority list. If that tang safety were my rifle, I would have Douglas spin a new barrel on it for $500 and save the cost and hassle of shipping it to Ruger. That being said, I have dealt with Ruger before regarding warranty and they have always been top notch.

pcf2I7i.jpg

EFt3ON8.jpg

5vJp3mP.jpg

Havent played with the 9.3's much yet but I just has 200 rds of ammo show up at the door a couple weeks ago so I am hoping to bring this and maybe the Sako along on the range trip

Ok, UPDATE ON MY RUGER M77 .280

Ruger told me to have my ffl send in my rifle

Well its back, they fixed an ejector print and polished the chamber. Said it wouldn't chamber for them either, but polished it up and it cycled great for them.

I made some test loads and am going to shoot it today.

Thanks for all the thoughts and input.

Andy

Originally Posted By: AcroninOk, UPDATE ON MY RUGER M77 .280

Ruger told me to have my ffl send in my rifle

Well its back, they fixed an ejector print and polished the chamber. Said it wouldn't chamber for them either, but polished it up and it cycled great for them.

I made some test loads and am going to shoot it today.

Thanks for all the thoughts and input.

Andy

Good on them, glad they took care of that for you! Sounds like they have more competent employees than the ones at Remington I had to deal with
tt2.gif

Thanks for the update, hopefully you’re up & running now, or will be soon.

How about the year of manufacture with the S.N.??

Back