Anyone ever played with a gain twist barrel?

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
So a friend of mine who's late father used to gunsmith is selling off a pile of old stuff. In the stuff for sale is a gain twist Ron Smith (old Canadian barrel maker) .224 blank with a 25x13.5 twist and a 220 swift reamer.
My plan is to re barrel my old tired m77 in 220 swift.
Just curious if anyone has played with gain twist barrels before and how did you like them. I understand there's not a lot of extra performance to be had but I still think for the price it would be fun to play with.

I helped my Grandfather shoot his 40-120 at gun matches in the 1960s.
One of his rifles was gain twist. I was a fad even then.
It shot okay, we paper patch the bullets.
I started shooting the 220 Swift in 1963. I have only loaded 40-45 grain bullets.
1-12 and 1-14 are the way to go. Ask your barrel maker.
When I need bigger bullets. I shoot one of my 6mms.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I helped my Grandfather shoot his 40-120 at gun matches in the 1960s.
One of his rifles was gain twist. I was a fad even then.
It shot okay, we paper patch the bullets.
I started shooting the 220 Swift in 1963. I have only loaded 40-45 grain bullets.
1-12 and 1-14 are the way to go. Ask your barrel maker.
When I need bigger bullets. I shoot one of my 6mms.

Yup this barrel will finish out at a 13.5 twist so 50 gr bullets are likely what will be used

Sorry for the late response. My 6 creed is a left hand, gain twist. It is a 8.25-7.5 twist on a stiller predator. I like it, and it shoots really well. It was chambered by Adam Bentley

Geez YES please do !!!!!!!!!!!
the gain twist is gentler on the bullet (especially thin jacket varmint bullets) the twist sounds perfect for intent!!! should be a screamer

Back