20practical build advise

loadedjoe

I want a new AR barrel. I’m wanting something flatter shooting than the 223.
I’ve looked at a couple other chamberings but for a fast, flat and low recoil round this one looks best.

So how short of a 20practical barrel can I go and still keep 39gr bullets above 3550fps?
I can do 20” if necessary but I’d rather have an 18”

I believe it is doable with a 20" but 18" might be a tad lower. The polygon barrels that Ritch sells help on the speed.

My 20 TAC and PRAC are both 24" tubes and I'm getting up to 3900 with 39's on them. 3750 is easy on a 24 so I think the 4" loss won't be too drastic.

Greg

25.4 of RL10 for the fastest stuff touching 3900. 26.7 of TAC will do an easy 3790. I have many in the 3750 range.

The hot ticket is to use 20 TAC data and move up a tad as teh PRAC is biggeer by a small margin.

Greg

PS: Personally I feel the Berger 35's are the best bullet on this one. YMMV

Last edited:
I would probably be fine with keeping the 32s and 35s above 3600fps range
What are the favored powders in this round? I have bunch of H335...

I've done well with Benchmark, RL10, AA 2015, AA 2230, Xerminator and H335. It eats about anything if you can get it in the case.

Greg

I'd place a back order for the 223 dies at several places . Someone will get them in the next couple of months. Just right for a custom barrel.

Greg

Originally Posted By: loadedjoei found threaded wilson 223 bushing dies. im not sure on the decapping stem though.

Use a universal decapping die and the correct bushing for .002 neck tension. Brass manufacturer will determine bushing size.

I use Lapua in bolt gun and LC in the AR's.

Originally Posted By: loadedjoei found threaded wilson 223 bushing dies. im not sure on the decapping stem though.

If I decide to decap with the sizing die I use a 20 PPC decapping assembly with the no touch button. Redding actually sent me mine for free after a phone call.

Since I moved to SS media I routinely use a universal decapper on 90% of my cases.

Greg

I'm shooting the 35g berger's loaded over 27.7g of leverevolution. Not at home right now, but if memory serves me correctly they are running just north of 3700 out of a 20" BHW tube.

Last edited:
Back