Remington 541T owners

Anybody have one? I just picked one up from a local guy in pretty nice shape, it appears to have some sort of after market trigger as it is superb. Bluing is excellent. Gonna scope it in a few weeks when I get back home and try it out. It is odd to me they made such a pretty rifle and then put a cheap a$$ plastic magazine in it though.

Had one but dumped it. It’s everything you say but had the annoying habit of throwing the first shot off after any pause in shooting. Change magazine or whatever. Went over to Benchrest central and asked for their input. Was told it was a common complaint about the 541T.

Go to Rimfire Central. Lots of information there. The dreaded first shot flyer is generally accredited to a lead donut in front of the chamber. After a couple of shots it gets warm and the rifle will settle down. Hence a warm up shot or two in rimfire matches it's said.

I have the 541-S. Like you mentioned, it’s a beautiful rifle with great accuracy, but a cheap, plastic magazine. Then Remington stopped production of the magazine. Used to get them for under $10. Now they are scarce and fetch outrageous prices for the 5 round one. With 3-D printing nowadays, would be nice if someone would design an aftermarket one.

Could the 513T magazine be adapted to the 541?

Never owned a 541, but unfortunately have let a Mod. 513T, a standard 75 Win., Win. Mod. 52 prone rifle , and a 40 XR slip through my fingers over the years, and I sure didn't pay or receive near the aucion price shown on link.
smile.gif

The 52 & 40XR both were superbly accurate rifles!

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I have the 541-S. Like you mentioned, it’s a beautiful rifle with great accuracy, but a cheap, plastic magazine. Then Remington stopped production of the magazine. Used to get them for under $10. Now they are scarce and fetch outrageous prices for the 5 round one. With 3-D printing nowadays, would be nice if someone would design an aftermarket one.

There are 2 guys making magazines for the 541/581 series. One fella makes steel magazines and the other guy makes a 3D nylon mag. I have both and both of them work really well. They are flush mount also.

I've owned a 541S, 4 541T's, and 1 541THB. Not a one of them had the cold barrel flyer issue. The one I have now is a 581S that I customed. I call it my "wannabe" as it is fitted with many 541 parts.
My intentions was to make the ultimate Squirrel rifle. The barrel is from a 541T. The receiver was squared then threaded. The barrel was threaded into the receiver, cut to 21" with a 11 degree crown and a Win. 52D reamer was used for the chamber. A second action screw was added and the lugs were lapped. Then a 3 screw 541 trigger was installed and set at 9 oz. I had an old Bishop stock inletted for the 541's so I finished it out then pillarbedded it.
On any day it will shoot several types of rimfire ammo into very small groups. It is not ammo picky.
I had 45 rounds of RWS Subsonic left in an open box so I decided to shoot all 45 at the same bullseye. Below is the result.

7K4CwSS.jpg

Here it is in all its glory.
CiVhacP.jpg

And what a normal 5 shot group looks like.

The right side targets is the "wannabe" and the left side is a Sako Quad.

So, yes, those 541 will shoot. Sometimes you have to help them a little with adding a 2nd action screw and bedding them.
One of the things I wished I would have done when building mine was to have a longer bolt handle welded on. With the Win. 52D chamber I have in mine, extracting a fired round can be difficult. They like to stick in that tight chamber.

Originally Posted By: K22Originally Posted By: 6mm06

There are 2 guys making magazines for the 541/581 series. One fella makes steel magazines and the other guy makes a 3D nylon mag. I have both and both of them work really well. They are flush mount also.

I've owned a 541S, 4 541T's, and 1 541THB. Not a one of them had the cold barrel flyer issue. The one I have now is a 581S that I customed. I call it my "wannabe" as it is fitted with many 541 parts.
My intentions was to make the ultimate Squirrel rifle. The barrel is from a 541T. The receiver was squared then threaded. The barrel was threaded into the receiver, cut to 21" with a 11 degree crown and a Win. 52D reamer was used for the chamber. A second action screw was added and the lugs were lapped. Then a 3 screw 541 trigger was installed and set at 9 oz. I had an old Bishop stock inletted for the 541's so I finished it out then pillarbedded it.
On any day it will shoot several types of rimfire ammo into very small groups. It is not ammo picky.
I had 45 rounds of RWS Subsonic left in an open box so I decided to shoot all 45 at the same bullseye. Below is the result.

7K4CwSS.jpg

CiVhacP.jpg

So, yes, those 541 will shoot. Sometimes you have to help them a little with adding a 2nd action screw and bedding them.
One of the things I wished I would have done when building mine was to have a longer bolt handle welded on. With the Win. 52D chamber I have in mine, extracting a fired round can be difficult. They like to stick in that tight chamber.

You make me jealous every time you post a picture of one of your custom rigs lol. Beautiful rifle. That is sorta what I am going for, the nicest .22 I have owned up til now was a 10/22 Deluxe from the 70's which I mistakenly sold. I figured this 541T would fullfil my itch for a nice remington rimfire and go well with the BDL's I have. I hope to do some squirrel hunting and maybe shoot some groundhogs with it

Originally Posted By: Zastava223remOriginally Posted By: K22Originally Posted By: 6mm06

7K4CwSS.jpg

CiVhacP.jpg

You make me jealous every time you post a picture of one of your custom rigs lol. Beautiful rifle. That is sorta what I am going for, the nicest .22 I have owned up til now was a 10/22 Deluxe from the 70's which I mistakenly sold. I figured this 541T would fullfil my itch for a nice remington rimfire and go well with the BDL's I have. I hope to do some squirrel hunting and maybe shoot some groundhogs with it

Thank you for the kind words. As you can notice, I got lazy after I put all of it together and never checkered the stock. I think this Summer I'm going to checker it and do something about the bolt handle.
I believe the 541 platform is a good one to start with, especially if you are looking for a great Squirrel rifle and all around plinker.
The first thing I would do is add a second action screw. Use the rear trigger guard screw area. I know that it goes into the lug area in the receiver but don't worry about it, it will be fine. Next would be to bed it. Either a straight bed or pillar it then bed it, either way will be good. Bedding without the second action screw will improve the accuracy, but the second action screw is a must.
If you need an awesome 541 gunsmith then Brian Voelker is the man.

The Timney trigger for the 788 Rem will work in the 541 with a few adjustments. The bolt stop will need to be narrowed and the safety lever reworked. A vice, a torch, and a pair of plyers is all you need to change the safety lever angle.

K22, that's a beautiful rifle.

The trigger on my 541-S is adjustable like the 700 trigger. I got it down pretty light. I also have a 581. I assume the 788 Rem trigger will work for that one?

Here's my 541.

32676415897_e964bc604c_c.jpg

46894823754_6934cc24cf_c.jpg

51097855439_b8ffb89fea_c.jpg

Here is the 581 with the cheap stock. Would be nice to have a good walnut stock for it.

47588535021_152e817c1d_c.jpg

32646067667_6b10c062c7_c.jpg

Very nice 541S 6mm06. All the "S" models had the 3 screw trigger, but not many of the 541T's did. I remember that the some if not all of the 541T-HB's did also.
Brian Voelker use to turn the 541T and 581 triggers into 2 screw triggers. Made a huge difference.
Yes, the 788 Timney triggers will fit the 581.
Numerich's used to make a walnut aftermarket stock for the 581's. It looked very much like my Bishop stock.

That's a good looking 581. Many of the 581's shot as well or better than the 541's. I still kick myself for not buying another 581.....or maybe 2.

As some may know, I am not a huge Remington fan, but those 541S and 541T's just have a very nice feel to them.
I was always planning on building another one and have many parts to do it, just lacking a receiver and bolt.

6mm06, did you take the rear site and barrel guard off of your 581 or was it missing?

The stock replacement. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/128350

Last edited:

K22, I have had that rifle for years, and honestly I don’t remember. Shows a sign of my age I guess. I have removed sights on several different rifles over the years that I don’t remember about this one.

I ve got the poor mans 541 (581) that was all a college kid could afford back in the 70 s. It’s a really accurate rifle. Plain Jane in looks department though. I always lusted for a 541 but never got one.

It d sure be nice to have a good trigger on my 581. Is the 788 Timney a bolt in change?

Originally Posted By: FrankmI ve got the poor mans 541 (581) that was all a college kid could afford back in the 70 s. It’s a really accurate rifle. Plain Jane in looks department though. I always lusted for a 541 but never got one.

It d sure be nice to have a good trigger on my 581. Is the 788 Timney a bolt in change?

No.

When I installed the 788 Timney trigger in my 541 I did not want to remove any wood. The first thing required was to take the bolt stop down so it would work with the 581/541 bolt. Next I installed the trigger with the timney safety installed and it was easy to see what would be required to make it fit. The 788 safety lever stands away from the action and is angled to the rear. I took the safety lever off, clapped it in a padded vise along with the 541/581 safety lever. I heated the Timney safety lever with a torch and bent it forward with a pair of pliers until it was real close to what the 541/581 safety lever angle was. After letting it cool I reheated it and angled it back towards the inside until it was very close to the 541/581 safety lever. I installed it back on the trigger and put it all back in the stock. I had to reheat and bend just a bit more, but was able to install it without removing any wood. Then I emailed Timney and ordered a new bolt stop and safety lever incase I wanted to use it on a 788.

Back