222 build. 700 or Model 7

MoYoBomber

Looking at a 222 build.

Cannot decide between a 700 or a Model 7.

Any real disadvantage to the Model 7 other than less aftermarket parts?

Thinking of a 22" sporter or slightly heavier than factory sporter.

Mines on a 788. But a Mod 7 or a 700 will work fine IMO. The 700 probably has a better selection of parts or at least easier to find.

Built my 20-222 on a SA Rem 700 and couldn't be happier with it. Unless I already had a model 7 I'd go 700. If for no other reason because there is soooooo much available for the 700 so easily.

Originally Posted By: MoYoBomberSchool me on dies, brass prep, etc??

I use Lapua 222 brass and Redding 222 bushing dies. I neck the brass down in one step with I think it's a .233 or .234 bushing, I'd have to go look to be positive, then load them up with around 23gr H322 and either a 39gr SMK or 40gr Berger. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! It's a sweet little gun to shoot.

It depends on what you want to do with it, for a calling rifle I'd keep the weight down as much as possible, with the heavier barrel lose the weight in the action. For varmints or off the bench it makes no difference.

I have a few 222's left, a little Sako Vixen FS and one I built on a Sav 10 action 20" HB, Boyds Thumbhole stock. The Sav. is more accurate but the Sako goes coyote hunting. I do have another build coming up if I get my butt in gear and order the barrel, a Rem 600 that is in 6x45 right now(too much gun for our local coyotes) and will re-barrel it to 20 Practical (20-223). I built a larger 20P on a Sav. and it is more than I want to pack any distance but the cartridge is great for coyotes.

I think a lot will have to do on your budget. If money isn't a factor, then you could go Mod7. Use a McMillan stock or one of the upper end stocks and you could be good to go. If your watching the budget, like me, go with the 700 action. Tons of after market stocks from cheap tupperware to the high end stuff. If you look at some folks rifles, money isn't an object. You look at mine and think tight azz old man on a fixed income. I have Cadillac taste and a Yugo budget.

For this one and one time only money is of no real concern.

Probably be the only time it isn't.

Thinking Model 7 in an H.S Precision or Manners.

Originally Posted By: MoYoBomberFor this one and one time only money is of no real concern.

Probably be the only time it isn't.

Thinking Model 7 in an H.S Precision or Manners.

Well if that's the case I wouldn't bother using any production receiver and I go with a custom BAT, Defiance, or Kelbly action.

Last edited:
I just got done ordering a rifle. The last one I did and pieced together, XP-100 action, by the time the action was purchased and trued, I didn’t save much at all. XP action,Ragged Hole barrel, Jewel trigger, McMillan stock. The one I just ordered, Defiance action, Bartelien barrel, Trigger Tech trigger and KRG stock. The new build cost me $350 more than the XP I built 2 1/2 years ago from “used” parts.

Budget and cheap don’t always go hand in hand. FYI I have seen the price of used 700 rifles jump since the demise of Remington. Some don’t like them but Savage is about as cheap as ya can get, or was.

Depends on what ya want. Am getting started on another with an ARC action.

Its been stated here before by me and others, but I'll say it again. Current CNC Rem 700 actions are among the best ever built in terms of not needing "blue printing" etc. which became a cottage gunsmith market in earlier Model 700 years.

In fact, a very good barrel smith that I have known for years has told me that the current crop of 700 actions that he has personally worked with actually might be better than an equal number of random custom actions that he might use for compoarison purposes. If you want a few extra frills, a custom actin might be your gig. I know I've gone down that rood a few times myself. But I'm not sure that it will actually benefit anyone who is building a custom rifle using a custom action that it will assure that the rifle will be a more accurate rifle.

I hope that the company who bought the rifle making part of Remington during their recent bankruptcy will get up and running soon (fingers crossed) and that they continue to make good quality actions.

JMO.

I have looked at the custom actions. Defiance does make an action sized on the Model 7 footprint.

Borden has a few nice ones too.

Glanced at BATs site, haven't looked at Kelby yet.

Last edited:
You could build a Remage on a Stiller Predator action. Then if you get bored with the caliber, it's just a new pre-fit barrel away from becoming something else.

Back