Summer Archery on the water

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Well I had a fun season last year shooting carp and decided to upgrade to the muzzy XD-Pro lever reel and shoot thru rod. I really like it, haven't been on the water yet but took the barb off an arrow and shot it about fifty times on my range. Then got rid of some guns and bought a Muzzy LV-X that should be here next week and will use the old recurve and wrap reel for guests and back up. I see that Muzzy has a bottle reel that is reasonable and no buttons to push to shoot so maybe one of those on the back up next year..

Looking forward to getting on the water as soon as the "Honey Do's" are done. Small boat and dirt bike are in the trailer already to go.

Good luck. Made my first attempt at fishing last Friday, but aborted when the steering in the boat went out just after I launched. Put her back on the trailer with the trolling motor and fixed it later that afternoon. All seems well now. If the wind plays nice, I'll head out with a kid or two this weekend.

Are they spilling any water downstream now? I'm still having trouble with the big motors and will put the 3hp and trolling motor on the big boat if I need to as I can launch either the little boat anywhere or there aren't a lot of long runs needed to get into fish.

Last edited:
Nothing coming out of Caballo yet, but the lake itself is pretty full, so I'm guessing they are running some water from the Butte, which is very low.

Good, I have a half a ceiling and two walls to paint and the new bow gets here next week. Might have to take a few days and head out and do some fishing and bow fishing.

I use to do a lot of bow fishing. Had a boat rigged up with lights and a generator to run them. I worked PT at an archery shop that was extremely in to bowfishing. Like everything else, if you didn't go big you got left behind. All the boats with outboard engines turned into air boats with big V8's. I shot a few competitions but it was more for fun than trying to win. The big boys left us little guys in the dust. I always said they may have shot more fish but didn't have any more fun than we did. Now they are mostly using Oneida's but I still prefer a good old recurve.

I just got back from Caballo and had a blast with the bow. Water is very low and all the areas that used to have vegetation are dry , even my campsite would have been under water last spring. Instead of being in the shallows they were in the rocks along the shore. I did kill six for the smoker and ended up breaking three arrow tips but had a blast, I got back and ordered a dozen replacements and six more arrows for the bow, surprisingly the 6 for $40 arrow worked just as well as the $20/each arrow. I remove the safety slides anyway.

The bow worked great, and I love the Muzzy reel, it really speeds things up. All in all it was a great investment. I'm really shocked at how the price increased in two month, nearly up 1/3.

7yCWwc.jpg

Last edited:
I've killed a bajillion carp but have never eaten one. I must say that looks pretty good. After a big tournament, several people would take all the carp and gar they could load in a truck. It must be pretty good or they wouldn't take all those fish. Some said they canned it. After a Gar laid in a boat all night they were so slimy I don't know how they would be good but they took them and were happy to get them. All the guys I use to fish with have gone to air boats with big V8 engines. Way to serious for me.

Getting set up for this year, installing pods on the big boat(1976 Alumicraft 1436 Jon) and am building a 16hp surface drive motor from a kit. I'm going to try and get a shooting platform built on foredeck. I hope to have it done by mid April.

My old boat that I'm upgrading, decked it in 2000.
5nc9qE.jpg

5wxBDL.jpg

Last edited:
Well it's been a long summer. I did get out this a couple times this spring, a little late for the spawn but killed a few mostly spawned out and worn out but will make catfish and crayfish bait. One nice one for eating. Water was really murky less than a foot visibility.

Now fall is approaching, I made an AC unit for the van so I can sleep in the heat of the day and fish mornings and nights. Dove hunting along the river should be good found some nice roosts pluss they trade up and down the river. Then ducks and coyotes, hunt in the A M, shoot some.carp.and.fish in the evening.

I wonder what's going to screw up this season.

Back