Ruger M77 tang safety .280 Remington

Thanks for all the input fellas!

I'm going to pick up the rifle on Friday, but probably won't be able to shoot it until Sunday. I don't know if I mentioned this, but it comes with a leupold 2-7 and two boxes of Hornady Custom 139gr SST's which is the bullet I'd like to tune first and then maybe some 139gr Interbonds.

I'll do a range report on the factory stuff and then reload the brass and try a couple powders for some test loads.

If nothing works well I'll try a different bullet and keep this string going.

Thanks again. I'm excited. I ordered some dies already and they should be here next week.

Andy

Originally Posted By: AcroninThanks for all the input fellas!

I'm going to pick up the rifle on Friday, but probably won't be able to shoot it until Sunday. I don't know if I mentioned this, but it comes with a leupold 2-7 and two boxes of Hornady Custom 139gr SST's which is the bullet I'd like to tune first and then maybe some 139gr Interbonds.

I'll do a range report on the factory stuff and then reload the brass and try a couple powders for some test loads.

Thanks again. I'm excited. I ordered some dies already and they should be here next week.

Andy

Ya done good there then lol

For powder, I would run H4831 or SC and never look back. I hear it is excellent in the .280, have some test loads rolled for my Sako, time just havent allowed a test yet

Originally Posted By: Zastava223remOriginally Posted By: AcroninThanks for all the input fellas!

Andy

Ya done good there then lol

For powder, I would run H4831 or SC and never look back. I hear it is excellent in the .280, have some test loads rolled for my Sako, time just havent allowed a test yet

I will do my best to try to find some because that's what my manuals and many other resources are pointing at. I actually my try StaBall 6.5 as well. I have some and it seems to do well in other cartridges, but may not like the longer ones. I've really taken a shine to IMR4451 which is one of their Enduron powders, but again, I don't have hardly ANY long action cartridges other than my 7mm Rem mag, so this will be interesting. I've been loading for .17 rem, .204, .222, .223, .22-250, .22-250AI, 6TCU, 6MM mongoose, .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7-30 Waters (single shot handgun). My powder selection is what works best for them, but I'm sure I'll find something to stuff in there. LOL!

Thanks for the info.

Andy

Originally Posted By: willy1947

My Ruger M77 220Swift and 338 win mag are pre-1974. What year is your 280?
I have been told the barrel makers changed in 1974.
The 280 rem is a great round. You will be very happy.

According to the serial number it was shipped in 1989...

I bought an older Ruger Model 77. It sat on consignment at the gunshop for months. I went in & was surprised to see it there after my last visit. I tended my offer, we met somewhere in the middle.

This SN dates to 1970, it’s in 284 Winchester, very nice shape(‘flat bolt’). It came with ammo & empty cases, the ‘RS’, model, iron sights & scope rings. The bluing is very rich & dark. I did pay more than the deal you mention. I have a Browning in 284 & wanted a companion. When I make it back to CO I may use this Ruger for elk, rather than my 300WSM.

I only did a modest range test with it so far, no adverse issues.

Well this was kind of weird.

I finally had time to take a solid look at the rifle. 2 things.

1) i know it's normal, but the front end of the stock is not free floated and honestly really makes an aggressive pinch point on the barrel. I'm going to shoot it and see what the accuracy is, then I'll decide to free float. I'm 95% sure I'm going to free float. I know the barrel harmonics and the purpose of a pinch point, but I also know what the capabilities are of a free-floated barrel bedded correctly and since it's a wooden stock, I know those can warp and make things innacurate.

2) I have two boxes of Hornady moly 139 gr Interlock light mag factory ammo. NOT ONE OF THEM CHAMBER in the rifle. I'm hoping it's just a bad lot of ammunition. I'm going to pull a few and run them through the full length die and see if they'll chamber. If they don't I'm going to be on the phone with Ruger.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Originally Posted By: AcroninWell this was kind of weird.

1) i know it's normal, but the front end of the stock is not free floated and honestly really makes an aggressive pinch point on the barrel. I'm going to shoot it and see what the accuracy is, then I'll decide to free float. I'm 95% sure I'm going to free float. I know the barrel harmonics and the purpose of a pinch point, but I also know what the capabilities are of a free-floated barrel bedded correctly and since it's a wooden stock, I know those can warp and make things innacurate.

2) I have two boxes of Hornady moly 139 gr Interlock light mag factory ammo. NOT ONE OF THEM CHAMBER in the rifle. I'm hoping it's just a bad lot of ammunition. I'm going to pull a few and run them through the full length die and see if they'll chamber. If they don't I'm going to be on the phone with Ruger.

Thanks,

Andy

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/201...osting-Copy.pdf

Here you will find the listed SAAMI dimensions for the cartridge, I would start by getting dial calipers and seeing if the ammo is in spec. I have never heard of Hornady factory ammo being moly coated but I have been wrong before. Also, because it is a Controlled Round Feed action, or at least a variation of one, dropping a round in the chamber may not be the best indication as the extractor doesnt always want to jump the rim. Try feeding them from the magazine. If the gun was in storage for a while, it may need a good cleaning too. I personally have had issues with Hornady factory ammo in the past so I wouldnt be shocked if the ammo was in fact out of spec.

Originally Posted By: Zastava223remOriginally Posted By: AcroninWell this was kind of weird.

Thanks,

Andy

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/201...osting-Copy.pdf

Here you will find the listed SAAMI dimensions for the cartridge, I would start by getting dial calipers and seeing if the ammo is in spec. I have never heard of Hornady factory ammo being moly coated but I have been wrong before. Also, because it is a Controlled Round Feed action, or at least a variation of one, dropping a round in the chamber may not be the best indication as the extractor doesnt always want to jump the rim. Try feeding them from the magazine. If the gun was in storage for a while, it may need a good cleaning too. I personally have had issues with Hornady factory ammo in the past so I wouldnt be shocked if the ammo was in fact out of spec.

Well I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder and ran it through my FL sizing die and it all won't chamber. I have a bore camera ill see if there's something going on in the chamber.

Have you measured OAL of the case? It may need trimmed or the shoulder bumped back a little. What's the odds your working with reloads in a factory box? Have you tried a factory round that you know is a factory round? Just throwing stuff out there that might cause your problem. I'm curious as to what you find out.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHave you measured OAL of the case? It may need trimmed or the shoulder bumped back a little. What's the odds your working with reloads in a factory box? Have you tried a factory round that you know is a factory round? Just throwing stuff out there that might cause your problem. I'm curious as to what you find out.

Yep, the length of the brass is 2.525 and the trim length is 2.530 and SAAMI is 2.540. So that's not the issue.

I did end up using a marker on the shoulder of 3 pieces of brass and the ring on the shoulder was forward about .005-.010" (I didn't measure just an eyeball).

I did contact Ruger and I'm waiting to hear their response.

Tonight I'm going to try .270 Win brass and see if it fits. I know the bore is .284 because there are no marks on the bullet itself when trying to load the factory ammo, UNLESS the cartridge is so far bak the bullet hasn't engaged the chamber deep enough to know. HMMMM.

Anyway, the barrel is stamped .280 Rem, the headstamps are .280 Rem and the ammo is labeled .280 Rem. I have a suspicion that it's actually been cut to a .270...

Thoughts?

I spoke with two gun smiths and they both told me to call Ruger, which I already had.

Ruger said that they will have me send it in, but they didn't feel confident they could fix the rifle. To me it's as simple as reaming it out or slapping a new barrel in, but what do I know.

Then she said that if they couldn't fix it, it's obvious a factor defect, then they'd provide me with a replacement.

Can't beat that. . . the only issue is that they don't have a single rifle chambered in .280 Rem. They have an african model in .280AI, but I don't really like that model.

So I guess if they replace it, I won't be disappointed, but then I may turn around a try to sell the rifle and get a .280 chambered in something else.

What would you guys do?

Andy

Hard to really say. You won't get a tang safety model back if they replace it. If it were mine, and wanted to keep the tang safety, I'd let a smith run a reamer in it. Did you by chance, polish the chamber or look at it with a scope? A piece of steel wool on a dowel rod and a drill with a little oil may fix it. I polished my 7mm08 chamber and it shoots great. Looked like 10 miles of bad road before I polished it. Now its my go to deer rifle.

I had a NIB Savage in 308 that wouldn't chamber a round at 2.800. Pretty much standard length for a 168 grain bullet. I took it to my smith and he ran a reamer in it by hand. Took about 5 minutes and solved my problem. Gun shot great after that.

Just throwing things at you. Hate to see a tang safety Ruger go to waste.

Originally Posted By: AcroninI spoke with two gun smiths and they both told me to call Ruger, which I already had.

Ruger said that they will have me send it in, but they didn't feel confident they could fix the rifle. To me it's as simple as reaming it out or slapping a new barrel in, but what do I know.

Then she said that if they couldn't fix it, it's obvious a factor defect, then they'd provide me with a replacement.

Can't beat that. . . the only issue is that they don't have a single rifle chambered in .280 Rem. They have an african model in .280AI, but I don't really like that model.

So I guess if they replace it, I won't be disappointed, but then I may turn around a try to sell the rifle and get a .280 chambered in something else.

What would you guys do?

Andy

I definitely would not sell it until I knew what the issue is and that it had been resolved. Otherwise you're just passing your problem on to someone else who then owns your problem and you have his money. That is not a good scenario for either of you, IMO.

Have you ever tried cerrosafe in a chamber? Its relatively easy to use and it might reveal what is going on with the chamber. A gunsmith won't charge much to use it if it's not something that you want to do yourself.

Not sure what you mean by, "Anyway, the barrel is stamped .280 Rem, the headstamps are .280 Rem and the ammo is labeled .280 Rem. I have a suspicion that it's actually been cut to a .270..."

A 270 has a different bore diameter than a 280 does. A 270 Win has a.277" bore diameter versus a .284" bore diameter for the 280 Rem. I'm not sure what you actually mean by your comment...??

I would take the African 280 AI and never look back! Ruger's new barrels are really nice, it would be a shooter.

Ruger only rebarrels current models as they never know what is going to happen when they try and unscrew a barrel due to the way they are put together....long story.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI would take the African 280 AI and never look back! Ruger's new barrels are really nice, it would be a shooter.

Ruger only rebarrels current models as they never know what is going to happen when they try and unscrew a barrel due to the way they are put together....long story.

Re-barreling one of the old tang safety Model 77 rifles is a long story.
laugh.gif

Early this year I bought one of the 2020 Edition Lipsey 1 of 250 Ruger Hawkeye African rifles in 280 AI. It shoots extremely well and it is a very nice looking rifle with the very nice walnut stock, a deep blue metal finish, open sights, and the barrel band sling swivel.

There's not too much to not like about the rifle.

I will add that it is not a large heavy rifle like a 375 H&H or like the other larger caliber Model 77 African rifles have been. It's actually a very trim and light, nice handling rifle. It just carries the African name for marketing purposes.

I have no idea if the factory rifle that Ruger might offer is like the Lipsey model or if its like the older African rifles built to handle recoil.

Maybe 10 yeas ago I bought a Ruger special Model 77 African rifle chambered in 223 Remington. It was a full size African model rifle and not worth lugging around for me with the 223 chamber. It went down the road fairly quickly......

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHard to really say. You won't get a tang safety model back if they replace it. If it were mine, and wanted to keep the tang safety, I'd let a smith run a reamer in it. Did you by chance, polish the chamber or look at it with a scope? A piece of steel wool on a dowel rod and a drill with a little oil may fix it. I polished my 7mm08 chamber and it shoots great. Looked like 10 miles of bad road before I polished it. Now its my go to deer rifle.

I had a NIB Savage in 308 that wouldn't chamber a round at 2.800. Pretty much standard length for a 168 grain bullet. I took it to my smith and he ran a reamer in it by hand. Took about 5 minutes and solved my problem. Gun shot great after that.

Just throwing things at you. Hate to see a tang safety Ruger go to waste.

I bore scoped it and it's not a polishing issue. The chamber is too tight around the shoulder. It won't come close to chambering a round. I markered a piece of brass and the opening to the chamber isn't big enough.

Andy

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: AcroninI spoke with two gun smiths and they both told me to call Ruger, which I already had.

What would you guys do?

Andy

I definitely would not sell it until I knew what the issue is and that it had been resolved. Otherwise you're just passing your problem on to someone else who then owns your problem and you have his money. That is not a good scenario for either of you, IMO.

Have you ever tried cerrosafe in a chamber? Its relatively easy to use and it might reveal what is going on with the chamber. A gunsmith won't charge much to use it if it's not something that you want to do yourself.

Not sure what you mean by, "Anyway, the barrel is stamped .280 Rem, the headstamps are .280 Rem and the ammo is labeled .280 Rem. I have a suspicion that it's actually been cut to a .270..."

A 270 has a different bore diameter than a 280 does. A 270 Win has a.277" bore diameter versus a .284" bore diameter for the 280 Rem. I'm not sure what you actually mean by your comment...??

you misunderstood or I wasn't clear. I would take the replacement rifle from Ruger and sell that and get the rifle I want. Ethically I would never sell this one and pass the issue one. It's criminal.

I'm not a fan of the look of the African with the barrel band. To each his own. ..

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: AcroninI spoke with two gun smiths and they both told me to call Ruger, which I already had.

What would you guys do?

Andy

What I mean is that the barrel is .284" diameter, but I think somebody reemed it out with a .270 reamer. Now this may not be the issue at all and since I don't think this is the issue. But without a doubt the chamber isn't wide enough at the shoulder. I was thining the .270 was based of the original .30-03 and the .280 off the .30-06. But I do think there is a small difference between .280 and .270 to prevent one from chambering in the other.

Maybe none of this makes sense.

Back