Forensic suppresser question

weneedtoo

Heard a story several years ago, about a Congressman traveling with his family, when his wife thought she heard something hit the rear of there vehicle. The FBI investigated and found what was described as an AR15 round imbedded in the rear of the vehicle. Upon closer examination he was later told that because of some unusual marks on the bullet, that it was fired through a suppresser. I call BS on the FBI. Would a suppresser leave any marks on a bullet? I don't think so!

only way a bullet will have any mark on it from a suppressor is if it strikes a baffle. Otherwise, like you said, IDTS!

nope wipes are rubber in construction doubt a mark would be left... residue maybe. But like others said only way a mark on a projectile would be left is if it smacked a baffle.

consider the source FBI really ?? pffffttttt give me a break. That is like asking the Army about naval operations.

and AR15 for sure ? really??? since when is there a special bullet for just the AR15 versus a 22-250 or any other 22 centerfire?? or a special required twist in the land and groove for the AR15.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootOil filter will mark bullets.

now that is believable. Even used as a suppressor its still a oil filter. Not to distract from your post a bit, just I had not thought of a oil filter used as a suppressor even though i know some are.

Back