Baiting

Thanks DU/Week. That little 40gr Nosler BT has really been performing quite well on the last 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 (I've lost count). Shot placement seems to be the ticket. Nosler had a sale on them a year or so ago and I stocked up on them and am glad I did.

Burn, nice job on that. The video looked really clear.

Crazyyote, thanks. I hope for a good season beginning in Sept., but almost afraid to think my good fortune may not be repeated. You know how things go sometimes when you get your hopes up.

I haven't been going this week with bad weather and a bright moon. I decided to scan the field about 9:30 tonight and saw this one. Gave him a few lip squeaks and got him close enough to kill from my office. Range 118 yds. and a decent looking male for late March.

#41 by Double Up, on Flickr

Yep, DoubleUp has been logging a lot lately. The meat wagon has been getting a good workout too.

Two nights ago another coyote showed up at my bait site, so I stayed at the shack last night. It was quiet all night. Now the rain has set in for a couple of days.

WTG DoubleUp!! Nice work...again! Watching the video, it almost appears to be a quartering shot, like I've seen before... What caliber and bullet on this one? Nice shot and congrats!

I got lucky enough to get winded this morning. Beeper a little before 6, of course the dog has to pee... Got to my bench, facing straight south. A pretty stiff north wind. Sure enough, a coyote at the 170. Took two steps, nose in the air for a brief moment, and on down the trail. Never had that happen to me on the bait before. Been doing it long enough, I guess it's just a year for reminders.

Stay at it fellers, the one's that are still hunting anyway!

-bait

P.S. 6mm06, you know you just can't quit with the yotes still coming in. Let's see a couple more!

-bait

BP, right now I'm shooting an AR-15 in 223 with a 50 v-max. I put the bullet in just past the shoulder so as not to hit the shoulder bone. It did not exit, but I believe it was lodged just under the skin on the upper left hip near the tail.

Sorry you got winded, but maybe that coyote will return.

Well, I managed to squeeze in another coyote before the month ends. DoubleUp says I have two more days to go, but I'm not sure I have any more around right now. Looks like this is finally going to wrap it up for me, unless DoubleUp knows something I don't.

Anyway, this one showed up early this morning just before 2:00 AM. He looked big on the camera monitor when I first saw him. He weighed 33#, 10 oz. and is the largest coyote I have taken in a while, maybe ever. Makes me think he might be the alpha male.

The 6.5 Grendel and 90 gr. Varmageddon did the job once again. Dropped him on the spot, so that's 5 for 5 hitting the dirt with this bullet.

51082359171_fd96669ddd_b.jpg

50997435754_fe09ac8355_b.jpg

51082450912_cd1c45db1c_b.jpg

There seems to be several coyotes in the area that have black genes. I get some every year that are dark colored like this.

50997473599_a06c369ec9_b.jpg

51082450932_d309c59403_b.jpg

This gives you an idea of how my bait site is set up. I have three sensors that cover the area of the bait site that borders the field.
Coyotes this year have not wanted to come down into the bait site for some reason, and have continued to skirt the border. I have
changed my tactics as a result and bait up higher now. One sensor covers the upper field while the other two the edge on both sides.

51013174125_7cd2923815_b.jpg

View of bait site from Cabin door.

51081663288_b8b9f6ab61_b.jpg

51081663278_25cc1178d7_b.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwGGMA4SoVs&t=4s

I'm going to have to name you John Henry the way you've been swinging that "hammer."

Very nicely done and congratulations again.

Update on Photon RT. Sent it in to Sellmark a couple weeks ago for warranty. Scope wasn't holding zero. Just got a package delivered today. Sellmark sent me back a used (assume refurbished) Wraith. I have played with the Wraith a little bit in the past, but have not mounted or shot this one. I don't know...
With zero communications, I have no idea what I'm in for. Is this scope considered new, is there a warranty, didn't even come with a manual. A quick start guide, but, have no idea on the other functions. Different world we live in today. Will it work...yes, just the way business operates today I guess.

Back