Scope shortage

pyscodog

Has anyone notice its hard to even find a decent scope in stock. I've been shopping around for a new scope for my Sako and its amazing how many are out of stock. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Yes, hard to find for sure. Some people are selling things used at fair prices but it is harder to find stuff if you’re looking for specific models or magnification ranges. Some people are also trying to sell scopes at an exchange rate like some ammo is going for. I had been looking for a Leupold for my new 204 and had some people offer me a really fair price on scopes they had. I ended up buying a new one today from midway when I got a “sale” email from them this morning. It was almost exactly what I had decided to look for but 50mm objective instead of 40. Probably could’ve got it a bit cheaper two years ago but everything is high and it was brand new so I bit the bullet. I got it new in box with 50mm objective for less than what used ones with 40s were going for and it’s only 1.4oz heavier.

Midway has a Leupold I'm considering. Its refurbished but still carries a full warranty. I can save $100. Bass Pro has the same model but with the CDS, which I'm not sure I need for this rifle, for $100 more. I want a 1 inch tube so I don't have to buy rings for the Sako, hard to find and pricey. Just seems everywhere I been looking,OUT OF STOCK. I'm beginning to hate those three words.

I just went to Leupold's sight. Seems they discontinued all the VX3i models except the handgun scope. That's the model I was looking at. What has taken the place of the VX3i?

I went to a local shop that usually has quite a few scope in stock. Most in stock today were low end Vortex and Leupolds with a few more that were just to much magnification for what I wanted. I did find a Bushnell 3500 Elite 4-12x40 that was decently priced so I went with it. It has the DOA 600 reticle and I do like that. Should be fine for the Sako Finnbear.

I noticed that too, I am toying with the idea of a .280 AI custom gun and would top it with a VX5HD 2-10 model but you dont really see them anywhere.

Leupold VX5HD-2-10 in stock Cameralandny is my goto spot for optics, great service and purchases are usually on the road the same day you order.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands/leupold/categories/rifle-scopes/5eb0346f-bcd4-4f1f-93df-d6f5a8428b8a?filters=207708:%222-10x%22

Last edited:
Call CameraLandNY and talk to Doug, ask him for his best price on whatever you need. I got a VX5-HD ZL2 firedot for about $150 off the listed price last fall and they do ship fast.

Try Tract optics.sold my VX6 2X12 bought a Tract Toric for coyote hunting.great scope and way clearer optics than Leupold VX6 model.Had the scope for a year and no problems also great customer service.you can try them out if you don’t like them send it back no questions ask.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHas anyone notice its hard to even find a decent scope in stock. I've been shopping around for a new scope for my Sako and its amazing how many are out of stock. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Scopes, and everything else.

Had a new tire put on my truck at work, it takes those huge super singles on the front. The guy told me that's the last one they have, and they're on backorder everywhere and don't know when they'll get more. Mechanic told me Cummins parts are impossible to find, steel is tough to get also. At least shooting, and scopes, etc is just a hobby for most of us. Frustrating as it is, we will survive (hopefully).

I need a part to fix the ex's dish washer. I'm told good luck, no parts to be found. I also heard anything coming from overseas is on hold. Sounds like we're screwed for a while anyway.

I was on Leupolds website this morning looking for a couple of scopes, one of which is a VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS-ZL ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER, out of stock. Most of their scopes are listed as out of stock.

The new Leupold scopes are on heavy back order. You're not going to find them available directly from Leupold until they fill all outstanding orders from dealers

I spoke with a Leupold service rep this past Friday, he said they are expecting to have some stuff in stock the first week of June, he didn't say what exactly but my inquiry was about pistol scopes.

Originally Posted By: fattmallardOptics Planet has several Leupolds in stock at the moment including some VX-3i.

Optics Planet is notorious for showing something in stock, billing you and then saying its on backorder and "you will be notified when it ships". Sometimes its a week but most times its months. I refuse to deal with them any more.

Originally Posted By: Zastava223remOriginally Posted By: fattmallardOptics Planet has several Leupolds in stock at the moment including some VX-3i.

Optics Planet is notorious for showing something in stock, billing you and then saying its on backorder and "you will be notified when it ships". Sometimes its a week but most times its months. I refuse to deal with them any more.

Happened to me as well with a Lyman Digital Bore Scope. It took
forever to get it. They can go pound sand.

Drove into Tulsa last week to buy a scope from a local gun shop and they had a pretty good supply of scopes there,did not look very close at anything except the one I went after.

Back