Superformance

GrantND

I picked up some superformance powder the other day. Supposedly it adds velocity to your current load, so I figured I would give it a try. I was gonna try and load some 60gr pills with it. Has anyone had any luck using this powder?

I have not had good luck with it. Inconsistent velocity and poor accuracy. One load I tried in a 280 rem had hang fires.

I have seen some locally still on the shelf after all the rush for powder. Seems it not too popular. Desert Dog Outdoors has a lot of great info on his Youtube channel and remarks that it is a very good .30-06 powder. I have not used it myself. Is it a ball powder or extruded?

Last edited:
What cartridge are you loading for? Its right next to H4831 in burn rate so I would imagine it would work well enough for light stuff. Keep in mind most ball powder is temp sensitive so I would caution you if you try to go hotrodding it if your climate has severe temp swings. Other than that, only one real way to find out. Locally it usually runs about $25 per lb so I would imagine it would be a fairly economical way to shoot.

I use it in my 6mmrem. 55 gr Varmigeden, 27" barrel.
Unbeleavabal speed (4200 fps) and accuracy. I have never had any indication of a temp change.

It seems like I remember when it first came out some years back that it was recommended only for specific caliber and bullet combinations. Don't know your caliber, but you might check Hodgdon's website to see what (if any) combination(s) they have with Super for it.

Originally Posted By: emptymagI have not had good luck with it. Inconsistent velocity and poor accuracy.

Same here. Bought two pounds of it a while back. Found nothing that it worked well in. Still have most of one pound and all of another. I hope that I can use it someday for something.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: emptymagI have not had good luck with it. Inconsistent velocity and poor accuracy.

Same here. Bought two pounds of it a while back. Found nothing that it worked well in. Still have most of one pound and all of another. I hope that I can use it someday for something.

Hey Russ, I hear it makes good fertilizer for your garden and lawn.
smile.gif

I am loading it for my .224 Valkyrie. I couldn’t find the powders I normally use (Varget, benchmark, 4831sc), so I figured I would give it a try. If it doesn’t work for my Valkyrie it might for my 25-06. I was more or less an impulse buy, because of the major powder shortages going around.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: emptymagI have not had good luck with it. Inconsistent velocity and poor accuracy.

Hey Russ, I hear it makes good fertilizer for your garden and lawn.
smile.gif

Will not go that far with it, Bryan! It's OK stuff in my .220 Swift, my .22/250 and my .243 AI. But only OK is not good enough for me. If I cannot one hole pretty regularly at 100 yards with any reloading component it goes back on the shelf. I got lots of crowded shelves. Some powders are decades old. I guess that maybe fertilizer is not such a bad idea after all.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: emptymagI have not had good luck with it. Inconsistent velocity and poor accuracy.

I haven't had luck with the Superformance ammunition either. Might go fast, but you get a lot of pressure signs and pretty spotty accuracy. Definitely what I have come to expect from Hornady.

Didn't have good accuracy with it in my 6.5 creed pushing 140 grainers. But who knows, it could have been me. Just sold it after sitting on my shelf for 3 years.

I haven't had great luck with Superformance with lighter bullets out of my 22-250 or my 6 mm Creedmoors. It would work but I've had better luck with faster burning powders. It is my go to powder for 115 gr bergers in my 6mm Creedmoors and 140gr bergers in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I may be wrong but I think faster burning powders work better for lighter bullets. Every gun/brass/primer/bullet combination is different and sometimes something as simple as slowing down the velocity has turned a 3 MOA combination into a 0.5 MOA combination.

I’t is one of the most accurate powders I use for 60 to 70 grain bullets in Savage Model 12 with 1:9” twist rate. Also has been easier to find than some of the more popular powders.

Back