Hornady Custom 6.5 Grendel Issues

R. Toker

I have a 6.5 Grendel 18” AR15 I’ve shot Federal American Eagle 90gr TNT through it with no issues and it’s very accurate. I’ve also shot some Hornady black box 123gr ELD-M through it with no issues or accuracy issues. Recently I found some Hornady Custom 123gr SST rounds. I shot two of these rounds and both caused the same malfunction. The empty casing didn’t properly eject and was stuck in the ejection port above the next round trying to be fed into the chamber. Causing a quasi double feed type jam. What do you guys think would cause this? Seems like an obvious ammunition issue to me.

i didnt have that expierence... but they sure wouldnt group in my grendel.

i was lucky to keep 3 on a sheet of paper. i thought my scope had gone wonky... went from 3/4" with 123gr eld-m black to about 6-8" with the 123gr sst custom. i was checkin my can for baffle strikes, etc.. the whole 9 yards.

switched back to 123gr black (eld-m) and the groups came down to sub MOA again.

i've got a box of them to test as reloads hoping i can find something they'll group with.. but that factory ammo was NOT happy in my upper.

never seen anything like it in my life.

If this is a newer build I’d change out the XP spring for a standard spring. You might have gotten some Hornady ammo that is not loaded as hot as it should be. You could have a new issue where your loosing gas pressure. I’d inspect the gas block and gas key on the bolt carrier for leakage.

Another issue some AR-15’s don’t function as reliably with the rubber O ring on the extractor spring with stud. I’d try removing the O ring if there is one under the extractor. The O ring was added to improve functioning on full auto M-4’s with carbine gas systems. Many times is not beneficial on semi auto AR-15’s.

Back