Light barrel recommendation? BA Hanson vs Faxon Pencil

kpb

Hi all, I'm wanting to finish out a .223 wylde build and it will be one I carry out coyote calling, so trying to save a little weight if I can. Two barrels I was considering was the 16" BA Hanson barrels, or the Faxon Match Pencil.

Any experience with either? Or recommendations for a different one in that same price range? Thanks!

Not familiar with the two specific barrels you mention but I do own a few BA barrels including an 18" SPR. What ranges you figuring on shooting? To be honest, in a 16" gun, you probably wont notice the few ounces from a medium weight barrel like the BA 16" Gov Profile midlength gas barrels. I own 3 and they shoot quite well with 60 gr VMAX
https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-5-...ern-series.html

It gives you the option to run a can, vs a pencil barrel and will be a little stiffer. I dont use any lightweight specialty parts and this rifle as it sits is 8.1 lbs
-16" Gov profile mid length BA barrel
-Midwest Ind Handguard, VG6 Gamma break
-M16 cut FailZero BCG
-Radian LT charging handle
-standard Aero upper/lower
-BCM buffer tube kit
-Mapul MOE grip and SL stock
-Magpul MS4 Sling
-Aimpoint P.R.O. in a Larue LT150 mt
-Magpul MBUS pro sights
-Cant really see it but a Surefire G2X Pro LE in an Arson Machine mount
Sorry the lighting sucks but itll give you an idea. I would imagine with a lightweight barrel, it might shave it to 7.8 lb?
IQDIxr5.jpg

If I absolutely had to go LW, I would have no trouble choosing either of those. Roscoe barrels is worth a look as well. Hope this helped a little

Last edited:
I have the Aero Precision version of that BA barrel (made by BA for Aero). I love it. I shoot 53gr VMAX at 3030 fps. Im getting just under 3/4" 5 shot groups with some Benchmark powder.

I live in Norther Nevada and hunt wide open country. I would be willing to add a couple more ounces in the form of a longer barrel just to get some more speed. I get more runners than i care for. Whether its shot placement, speed, or bullet... i dont know. Ill be switching to a 55gr soft point here soon.

If your set on a 16" then you cant go wrong with the BA barrel.

Back