Trail 2 poi shift? Do they?

I dumped my Trail 2 before turning it on. BUT know who has it now. He knew all about Pulsar's not holding zero and uses it solely as a scanner.

I'll ask him to slap it on a rifle and test it.

I can tell you Stream Vision is still garbage. Like one review said, if they can't get an app to work don't expect them to get a thermal right.

We are running 2 Trail 2's and haven't had any POI shift (knock on wood). We had an issue with an older model Trail XP50, and Pulsar took care of us. We've hunted in 65 degree weather down to 0 with the new Trail 2's. We also haven't had any issues with Stream Vision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TjkillerI know a guy on the inside. Trail 2s are not coming back.

i wouldnt doubt it, It was a flawed design from the begining, and it seems pulsar wants to push thermions.

Last edited:
My third and current trail xp50 is shifting poi and Sellmark tells my this time they will replace it with trail 2. I will be sending it in after season close.

Last edited:
Varminter, I talked to my friend and he actually borrowed his Trail 2 to another friend of ours who is using it on a rifle. He is new to thermal but hasn't noticed any movement..

I spoke with a Sellmark today regarding a shipping label to return my shifty trail xp50.
I ask what the corrective action would be. Again I was told they were replacing them with Trail 2 lrf's. He said the new material corrected any issues and the poi shift was non existent. In the next sentence he said the few that have been received back for poi shift were found to be in spec. I asked what that allowance was. It took him a minute to message and get the shift allowance spec but he said it was 1.5" @ 100 yards. Hooooollllly crap. I asked him about the spec on the Thermion and he said he would gather the info and call me right back. I've not received that call yet. Are you guys seeing a my shift at all. 1.5" in my book renders a scope garbage.

Last edited:
I owned a thermion xq38 and recently sold it. No problems with the scope, I just liked the hogster image better. I did not notice any poi shift with my thermion. I really didn’t get a chance to shoot it much though. Poi shift on such an expensive piece of equipment is unacceptable in my opinion. Pulsar customer service has been good to me but if they put out another scope with a poi issue, after that trail debacle, I won’t go back. Curious to hear from thermion owners that have more time using them than I did, if they have seen any poi shifts.

I have gone 2 seasons now with my Thermion XP50 and it has never shifted POI...it has stayed dead on throughout the last 2 seasons. I have 2 settings saved for the same rifle...one setting for suppressed and one non-suppressed. Switch back and forth and it is dead on for each situation. Haven't had to touch the settings on it and the random times I did check it, it was exactly dead on. Have all the confidence in the world with it.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I spoke with a Sellmark today regarding a shipping label to return my shifty trail xp50.
I ask what the corrective action would be. Again I was told they were replacing them with Trail 2 lrf's. He said the new material corrected any issues and the poi shift was non existent. In the next sentence he said the few that have been received back for poi shift were found to be in spec. I asked what that allowance was. It took him a minute to message and get the shift allowance spec but he said it was 1.5" @ 100 yards. Hooooollllly crap. I asked him about the spec on the Thermion and he said he would gather the info and call me right back. I've not received that call yet. Are you guys seeing a my shift at all. 1.5" in my book renders a scope garbage.

That is interesting I saw a 1" shift in the Thermion XP50 I owned the one time I temperature tested it. Forthright information but a terrible standard.

Update.....
It took some [beeep] raising but I received my replacement trail 2 xp50 lrf several weeks ago and have tested it multiple times from low 40s to around 80 degrees. It was around 60 degrees the evening I mounted and zeroed it. It tracked seemingly perfect and zeroed easily unlike my original trail with noticably finer adjustment imcramints. The next morning temps were in the low 40s. I set the gun on the porch to get down to temp, turned the scope on and shot 2 rounds as quick as I could accurately get them downrange. 1 was basically touching one of the holes from the previous evening and 1 was high right about 1.25" or so. I wish I knew whether that was the 1st or 2nd shot because that is where the poi remained. I adjusted the scope 1 whole number down and if I recall .75 left and it has held poi. The rifle groups much better with this trail 2 as well. I am not sure if something internally settled in the unit due to recoil or what but it moved poi that one time after approximately 10 shots since new and has been rock solid the next 4 times I've tested it in varying temps. Other than that this unit has been night and day difference in how it tracks and holds poi. I look for our kill percentage to be up quiet a bit come this winter.

Last edited:
That's good news and thanks for the update. Just an FYI my poi shifting started at about 20°F and colder. Definitely an improvement from your last scope!

Back