Best month for prairie dog shooting

Lex

I just retired and want to spend a couple weeks shooting going to Wyoming Montana idaho. Would also love to meet some of the people on this board.

We went in late May, 2019 and had very good shooting in Wyoming. Lots of dogs and pups. This year we are going in mid June. I can’t comment on other locations. We use a guide who has multiple sites and it was a great experience thus the return trip. Good luck.

May may be too cold and rainy. June is about perfect as the grass is short and the pups are out. Have fun and come back and post pics. It's the most fun you can have with your pants on.

I think I will try for the end of may to hit the dogs.i can't wait been a long time since I have shot prairie dogs.

Others are correct,,,, Late May to mid June is about as good as it gets since early on you will get there before a town is shot out. I like lots of action ( who doesn’t) I am one of those who likes to try several calibers and guns. I use that word since I shoot pistols and rifles both. Excellent way to discover just how far you can shoot your selection, and a great way to put into practice reading the wind. Good Luck! Wish I was meeting up with you.

Lex,
If going in late May, prepare for some rain and colder weather. The last time we went, were shooting in 52 mph winds. The only way we could shoot was to get behind a wind break for cattle in the field. It was blowing our ammo boxes off of our shooting bench. Shooting was sporty to say the least. However, we learned about "english".

My time is Mid June, SD. Even then the pups can be from tiny to mid-sized, not all born at the same time. I have counted as many as 8 on one mound, before I started shooting.

Like a lot of hunting, the best time is when one can work it in to go. I know one guy who used to go in April, cuz that’s when there was a lull at work. At that time you have adults, generally longer shots. Yes, there’s the theory of why shoot adults when they’ll multiply in a few months? Well, in many area’s they’re a varmint, reduced numbers are desirable.

Weather is always a wildcard, may require slight adjustments.

Just a word to the wise. This is going to be a hard year it is SOOO dry. We are under a fire warning as we speak.
If you think you're going to be hunting private land I'm thinking they will not let you.
Public land may be a walk-in-only thing.

I don't expect alot going to bring plenty of ammo but if I have some left over no biggie.i have all the time I want so hopefully I can meet some people who will let me shoot some private land.

Here’s an enlightening story from last June. Driving down the lonely highway I see a disabled car over the hill, parked 1/2 in the lane of traffic. The car was a bit of a hazard, over the crest, 93 degrees out, I stop. The older gentleman said he thought a guy was coming to help, hoped. I asked the usual questions about the problem, then offered to tow him out of the road. He liked that idea, I then offered to tow him the 8-10 miles home, he liked that idea even better.

I towed him home, he knew we were dogging, said he had a private downtown saved for good friends. He offered it up, just over the hill. It was a great spot, though we were done for the day, we shot about 1.5 hours. He said to come back, I have reminders on my maps. If & when I do, I’ll, take a case of ‘pop’, water, or whatever, as a thank you.

I’m spring loaded to help, that lady with the disabled car may not have a dog town, but her cousin just may. Of course part is doing the right thing, even away from prairie dogs. Let’s just assume all safety precautions are taken.

Lex a Buddy and I are heading to Montana ( Missoula area )the first part of June. last year we did late may to june then figured out that maybe june would be better. ( and Like you said we are usually begging Ranchers to hit their fields)

Last edited:
Back