House Passes Gun-Control Bill Expanding Background Checks on Firearm Sales

hm1996

Staff member
House Passes Gun-Control Bill Expanding Background Checks on Firearm Sales

By Jack Phillips
March 11, 2021 Updated: March 11, 2021

The House of Representatives on Thursday passed a bill expanding background checks on individuals who are seeking to purchase or transfer firearms as top Democrats have vowed to reintroduce gun control measures.

“This bill is a critical step toward preventing gun violence and saving lives,” Rep. Mike Thompson (D-Calif.) who sponsored the measure known as H.R. 8, as Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) introduced the companion bill in the upper chamber.

The bill, titled the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2021, passed 227-203, receiving eight Republican votes and one Democrat vote against. Five Republicans co-sponsored the bill along with several Democrats.

According to a summary of the legislation, it will “utilize the current background checks process in the United States to ensure individuals prohibited from gun possession are not able to obtain firearms.” Currently, any firearm purchased at a retail store or online has to go through a background check and has to involve a licensed firearms dealer with a federal firearms license, known as an FFL. Specifically, H.R.8 would require background checks for private sales.

The House recently passed another control measure, H.R. 1446, which allows for the FBI to indefinitely delay background checks. Currently, there is a three-day default transfer window. That measure was introduced by Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.).

It comes as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Thursday said they would reintroduce other gun control measures. President Joe Biden’s administration also expressed support for such measures in recent days.

“No more hopes and prayers, thoughts and prayers—a vote is what we need,” said Schumer in a news conference as he vowed to bring H.R. 8 out of former Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell’s “legislative graveyard” after it stalled in the Senate in 2019.

Republicans have said these measures won’t make Americans safer, with one saying that H.R. 8 would create a possible “national registry of firearms.”

“The idea that this is going to make us safer is laughable,” said Rep. Mary Miller (R-Ill.) on the House floor Thursday. “Criminals looking to get their hands on firearms to use in crimes are not going to submit to background checks. Only law-abiding citizens will follow the law. This is a back door means of setting up a national registry of firearms—something I completely oppose.”

Miller added that the United States has “enough gun laws,” but she said that “we need is to make sure the laws we have are enforced.”

“We need better enforcement—not more laws,” Miller added. “Instead of passing terrible legislation like H.R. 8, we need to do a better job of providing law enforcement agencies with the resources they need to enforce existing gun laws.”

The bills and proposed bills come as record numbers of firearms are continuing to be sold in the United States. According to recent figures from the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), gun sales in January surged by around 9.5 percent month-over-month and around 60 percent as compared with January 2019.

After H.R. 8 was passed by the House in 2019 as well, it was never taken up by the Republican-controlled Senate. Schumer said Thursday that the legislation will be discussed in the near future.

The National Rifle Association (NRA) in its 2019 analysis, said that the bill, if passed into law, would require that “loans, gifts, and sales of firearms be processed by a gun store. The same fees, paperwork, and permanent record-keeping apply as to buying a new gun from the store.”

“If you loan a gun to a friend without going to the gun store, the penalty is the same as for knowingly selling a gun to a convicted violent felon. Likewise, when the friend returns the gun, another trip to the gun store is necessary, upon pain of felony.”
https://www.theepochtimes.com/house-pass...ng-2021-03-11-1

The left allows blm and antifa to literally burn down city blocks...

This isn't about safety. Never has been and never will be.

ETA:

thumbup1.gif

None of the gun control legislation addresses crime. They are all designed to limit citizens from access to guns. Tyranny can not expand with a well armed citizenry, also known as a “well regulated militia”.

Texas STATE RIFLE ASSN.

Premier Firearms Association In The Great State Of Texas!

Greetings!

HR 8 and HR 1446 have passed the US House of Representatives.

HR 8 requires universal background checks for all transfers outside your immediate family, and HR 1446 enhances the scope of those background checks; it changes the law from a "Shall Issue" to a "May Issue" for the transfer of a weapon by the FBI.

By way of example, right now the FBI is required to give your FFL a response and that has to happen within a maximum of 3 days for a background check. Under this heinous bill, an FFL could wait up to a month to hear back from the FBI... or NOT AT ALL! As I understand it, there's no recourse for the buyer; you cannot contact the FBI to make an appeal directly. Therefore, you would have very limited recourse if this happens to you.

The summary of HR 8 is HERE

The summary of HR 1446 is HERE

Please call US Senators Cruz and Cornyn and make your opinion known on these bills and also, if you are an FFL or know one, make sure they are calling too.

Senator John Cornyn's office can be reached at (202) 224-2934

Senator Ted Cruz's office can be reached at (202) 224-5922

Andi Turner
Legislative Director
TSRA

TEXAS STATE Rifle Association
Hotline: 866-897-4353 (TX-RIFLE)
Local: 512-615-4200
PO Box 2140
E Bastrop, TX 78602

I have been very concerned in the past 20 years about where our great country is heading. I don't know if the 2020 election was stolen or there were actually enough left leaning people to make it happen. Either way my way of life is threatened. I put my one vote in and that's all I could do. I have made up my mind that after the White House was lost that I would try very hard not to spend any of my money in a Blue State. I use the 2020 election map to decide where I should spend my hard earned dollars. They can tax the he** out of me but so far they can't tell me where to spend what's left over. I not only use the location of the selling party but also try to research where it was made. I'm from and my Mother still lives in Illinois when I take her out for a meal I drive 45 miles back to Indiana so none of my money goes to Illinois. If my state (Ky.) goes Blue I'll move. Momma allows said you get judged by who you hang out with. I know some people have jobs and family they can't leave but they could spend there money where they want. Imagine if like minded people only gave money to there kind, that would mean Blue would have to feed their self.

Back