29 pigs since Christmas

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
From Christmas through February we started slow. Still quite a bit going on in our personal lives and didn't get out but a couple of nights. We went one night and knocked down 4, then another night I was out calling coyotes and killed one (probably 2). Got a quick video clip of a couple we shot as they disappeared into the thick cotton stalks. The one I shot was smaller but the sow my buddy knocked down was a toad.

Video link:

AWfsLHs.jpg

Now that we are getting into March though it is time to start really knocking down pigs before planting season. The goal is maximum numbers, maximum suppression. Have several places around this county and the next county I shoot. Different landowners call when they have issues. I have 4 different guys I shoot pigs with but normally just two of us at a time. I'm not into big groups of shooters.

Anyways last week we started getting serious. Thursday night 2 of us went out to my BIL's and killed 9. Saturday night went to the other end of the county with the same guy and another shooter and killed 7, went back the next night and killed 8.

Took my daughter to the pig barrel last night looking for a big boar that has been hanging around but he was a no-show.

Got these videos on Saturday night. First one shows what we are up against on that one place, second video is me shooting down on "my end" of the swarm of pigs.

Video link:

Video link:

Pictures from last week.

Kbra3MY.jpg

e07BtyL.jpg

Hq0YlgN.jpg

Last edited:
A few drops in the bucket, it looks like.

We hunted some in the cotton last year. They sure can disappear in that. What optic and gun are you using? Looks like a couple were soaking up some rounds.

I am itching to get a thermal of my own and still waiting one the suppressors.

Optic is a Pulsar Thermion XQ50. Rifle is a 16" AR in 6.5 Grendel, shooting a 95 VMAX. I shoot the VMAX because I don't like bullets bouncing across the countryside at night. More of a safety thing than anything. That and the heavier bullets don't put coyotes down good. Honestly the VMAX usually puts pigs down pretty hard. Especially if you keep it in shoulder forward, where it needs to be.

I know that you know shot placement is the key on any shooting. Once pigs start running shot placement takes a serious dump, lol. Straight runners aren't so bad, zig-zaggers are tough. Especially since you really lose a sense of depth perception through a thermal at night. Some nights I am "on" with my lead and can hammer them out. Some nights I'm not so good. In that big group I was off with my lead and hitting too far back, and a little high. And now that I really think about it, on that group I wasn't using the VMAX either, I was shooting some 120 Gold Dots I needed to get rid of. Anyways, when they get to running and get that adrenaline up and you are hitting in the back half, they can soak up a lot of anything, 308 included.

That first group of nine, all of those were mine. 6 dropped in their tracks (2 sows were CNS hits, I can't post those pics here, lol). The boar was out around 200 and running hard. I hit him 4 times, two insignificant. One through the jaw, one through back leg. 2 other solid hits, he went about 100 yards. The guy with me was shooting a 308 with 150's. 2 hits on one and 1 hit on another and both made it out of the field.

I know Igor on here shoots a .308 some, and a 6.8 some. We have hunted together before. He is a good guy and a solid dude. Maybe he will chime in. My experience is that as long as you put the bullet where it needs to go, it is bullet not cartridge that matters. And if you don't put it where it needs to go, then cartridge choice doesn't matter that way much either.

I work really hard at keeping a dead on zero on my thermal. I know guys who don't check it, they just assume. When you get out stalking at night you can tell who has a solid zero and who doesn't.

Stalking sounders in the dark is a really dynamic game. Very fun, very addicting.

I will say if considering a thermal then do your research. Talk to people who really know thermal, who don't have brand bias, that have experience with a lot of brands. Decide what you need to get the results you want. Then however much it is save up and don't waver. Thermal is a huge investment for some of us. You don't want buyers remorse because you tried to save $500 or $1K.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't really answer your question about the rifle, I just gave basic details.

Aero M4E1 upper with a Monster 16" lightweight barrel and bolt. PSA bolt carrier. Buffer is a Spikes heavy, I think a T2. Royal Arms billet lower I won in a giveaway. CMC 3 lb trigger. I did the Cerakote myself, color is Tactical Grey. C Products Duramags have been the most trouble free for me. Suppressor is a Silencerco Omega with a flat end cap on an ASR QD mount.

Thermion is mounted in an American Defense mount. That AD mount has been dead nuts returning to zero swapping around from one rifle to another. Not cheap but well worth the money. I have 5 rifle profiles and various loads for each one in it. I can swap around at will and maintain POI. The other night I shot out a mag of 120 Gold Dots, dropped the mag, put in a mag of 95's. Hit menu, changed my zero to a different saved profile, and killed a running piglet at 275-300 yards. But I swap from rifle to rifle all the time and zero is always within 1/2 MOA or less.

Back