If you had a brand new action?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIf you had a brand new long action Remington,(with a 308 bolt face) what would you build?

Is this just a generic broad blanket arbitrary question because you're bored or would this build have any kind of intended purpose like for hunting, target, LR, ELR, etc etc ???

It's a LA Rem 700, I'm assuming it's a model 700, so the possibilities are nearly endless.

I just found a screamin deal on a long action and really have no idea what to build if I buy it. Its kinda like one of those deals to good to pass on but don't know what to do with it. I thought 6-06, 25-06, maybe 6AI since I have the reloading components. It would more than likely be a hunting rifle. Heavy sporter or light varmint contour barrel.

They also have a Stainless action with a magnum bolt face for $20 more. Sure don't know what I would do with it.

Last edited:
its hard to suggest without knowing what you have already. i buy a lot of actions and build a lot of guns, but mine are all on mausers. i prefer the short action and 243s, but in a long action, id be looking at a 25-06 or 270 if youre commited to the standard action. id personally pay the upcharge and build a 7mag or a 300 win mag, ive built both. if you forced me trim my collection to just 2, it would be a 243 and 7mag.

Just to throw something out there and since the 25 cals never seem to get much love you should build an 8tw 25-284 to shoot the new Berger 133gr & 135gr bullets.

Originally Posted By: jetman6MM/06

Yeah, me too. .240 Weatherby mag performance with easy to find brass. One pass in the sizing die with .25/06 brass and you're done. Not barrel friendly or efficient but way fun I think.

Always wanted a very well built 30-06 so that would be my suggestion. Either M40A1 replica or perhaps like one of the heavy barreled M70's Hathcock made use of before the M700 came into service.

I picked up a new in the box M700 adl with scope last Sept for 99.00+tax. I was going to rebarrel, but yesterday I was given 60 pounds of fired 3006 brass. Mostly Rem and Fed, how I probably have to at least shoot the thing.

I went back today. I was going to see if they might have a short action hid back in the back. I'm really wanting to build a 20VT. I got side tracked a little. They have a CZ Varmint in 22 mag that sure is looking good. LOL, I think my wants are greater than my needs. And my cash is on the short side for all the wants.

Sometimes I actually think before doing things. Not all the time but I am getting better. I have a Beretta Mato in 270, very nice rifle and a Remington in 7mm08 semi custom, so I'm pretty good with my deer hunting rifles. Oh, almost forgot, have a Savage in 6.5 Creed as well. So I really don't need a deer thumper. Even though I'll probably regret it, I'm going to let those actions set where they are. (If any of you are interested, let me know.) I think I'll pursue the short action for a VarTarg build or find one already built. Maybe just buy a new barrel for my Tikka. Seems the older I get the smaller my calibers are getting. Thank you for the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogSometimes I actually think before doing things. Not all the time but I am getting better. I have a Beretta Mato in 270, very nice rifle and a Remington in 7mm08 semi custom, so I'm pretty good with my deer hunting rifles. Oh, almost forgot, have a Savage in 6.5 Creed as well. So I really don't need a deer thumper. Even though I'll probably regret it, I'm going to let those actions set where they are. (If any of you are interested, let me know.) I think I'll pursue the short action for a VarTarg build or find one already built. Maybe just buy a new barrel for my Tikka. Seems the older I get the smaller my calibers are getting. Thank you for the suggestions.

I had a Beretta Mato in .280 Remington at one time. Man those are nice guns especially for the price. I'd like to get a couple more and especially one in .338 mag.

Back