Bobcat rebound sound

Cscriv

Hey guys new member here, I’m super excited to be apart of the forum! Was hoping to get some help with a situation I have found myself in at least a dozen times. I’m in Texas so most of my hunting I do at night. I’m pretty successful calling in cats but as cats usually do I will get them called in and they will hang up behind some brush and only look at me from time to time and then eventually get bored and walk off. I have had some success switching sounds or going to a lip squeak to get them to commit but more often than not they walk off.

What sounds do you guys use to get bobcats to commit and come out of the brush?Or what “rebound” sounds do you use to get a cat to come back after he has walked off?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe it's not your particular sounds. You didn't provide us with many details.

Are they hanging up at 75 yards just out of 12 range and you need them to come in just a bit further? Or are they hanging up at a few hundred yards out, further than you want to shoot at night?

What type of night hunting are you doing? For example, if you're using a light, is your light too bright or intense or the wrong color? Is your technique lacking and how would you know? Are you burning them in too soon instead of using the bottom of the halo?

Are they seeing your movement? Walking in, scanning? Moon light? Standing or sitting? What terrain, farmland or brush?

Is your volume too high?

Etc.

Hey dirty dog good question...

Typically I use a coyote light (red) with a dimmer so burning them up isn’t too much of a concern as I usually keep it pretty low and light them up with a kill light once I’m ready to shoot. No particular distance per say, just always find them hanging up on “edges” behind some brush. Sometimes this is 100 yards, sometimes it’s only 30. All of my hunting is done from a high rack and my partner and I are fairly successful killing coyotes. So making noise, being reckless, moving a lot, letting them cut our wind (not to imply that’s as important with cats) is not something either of us tolerate. That being said, I can usually get an initial response where one will come in and investigate but typically just sit down behind some brush and eventually loose interest. Sure I get a hungry cat from time to time that will continue to work his way in and provide a shot. Was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions on upping the success rate to turn cat sightings into successes.

Just reread your post and may have caught something. Now that I think of it, adjusting volume is something I’ve never tried in those situations....

Have you tried turning the call down? I've seen that work on not just cats but coyotes. I'd try that or some kind of rodent in distress. Or if they're not too far out head shoot them. Cats won't always run off right away even if you miss.

one more question are you calling nonstop with the cats? they sometimes loose interest if given pauses in calling.

Welcome to PM.
I nighthunt coyotes on the main ranch I hunt, but won't shoot cats at night due to the fact there are endangered ocelots on the ranch. Have called a few cats at night and they seem to behave very similar to those called during the day; that is, they are often very reluctant to leave heavy cover. Sometimes, lowering the volume of the call, or even changing to a vole/mouse or bird sound will shake them loose, as with coyotes. If not, all you can do is make the decision to pass or try to thread the needle. Not suggesting that to be a good idea at night, however.

51021265607_0843df796e_c.jpg

51020434418_8640a7e047_c.jpg

51021162561_4b4054b155_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerHave you tried turning the call down? I've seen that work on not just cats but coyotes. I'd try that or some kind of rodent in distress. Or if they're not too far out head shoot them. Cats won't always run off right away even if you miss.

Originally Posted By: Bearone more question are you calling nonstop with the cats? they sometimes loose interest if given pauses in calling.

All good advice ^^^^^^

Regards,
hm

Yes always calling non stop.

All good advice, definitely going to try adjusting volume. I typically start with birds when I’m targeting cats but switching up to voles is an interesting concept. I will give that a shot. Anybody have any favorite vole/rodent sounds for a fox pro?

Check out the above video. Not to long ago the Night Crew show on TV had the 30 minute version on.

I have called in bobcats with Foxpro's "Adult Rat", "Prairie Dog Distress" and Vole Squeaks. I have also called them in with rabbit and bird sounds.

I think that making a calling stand within 500 yards of a bobcat is way more important on successfully calling in a bobcat than the sound you play to call them in. I have seen extremely loud volume and low volume both bring bobcats right in on my Foxpro callers.

Back