22-250 or 243 for yotes?

243 because of the vast boollit selection. Probably a bit more speed to be had out of a sub 24" barrel too. I use 60's and 70's in mine.

Last edited:
Had several spins and runners with the 250 and 50gr vmax hand loads at 3700fps but all were hit back of the boiler. Went to 243 3yrs ago and won’t look back. 75gr vmax superformance varmint and now because of ammo scarcity l am handloading 75gr vmax at 3020 (just worked up the load Monday and Tuesday this week and have bang flopped the 2 l have shot at.
I don’t keep pelts this year but IF there is an exit it is normally quarter sized.

Originally Posted By: kavingoing to get an ar built what are your opinions on 243 or 22-250 for yotes? AR10s are too big and too heavy for some styles of hunting.

Hiking/walking, no. Truck/road, ok.

6DTI for example is literally 90% of the performance of the 243 but in a lighter smaller AR15 package. I bang-flopped 2 coyotes this week with mine on an eight mile hike. 55gr NBT-LFs @ 3550fps, one at 225 yards the other 45 yards.
51001640692_fdba098056_c.jpg

6 dti or 6x6.8 really lays them out with 70s. I would not go with the larger AR 10 frame if you are gonna be very far from the truck day hunting. Night hunting and pod mounted the. 243 is about as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Do you want to pack a 13-15 lb rifle? I find an 8 lb rifle heavy for calling coyotes. My goto coyote hunting rifle right now are the 20P, 222 Rem, 223, 22-204, 5.6x50, 22 Sav HP that I've killed coyotes with this year. I have little problem with runners and spinners. I have a 22-250 that I killed one coyote with last year, on the way back from the Egg Shoot at the last convention my partner and I decided to take our Egg Shoot guns out and kill a coyote, we did. I used to keep a 22-250 around for longer range control work but have a 20P now for open country.

I'm waiting on usps to deliver my rifle -1" gas tube for my 20" 25 DTI. It might be my new daytime calling rifle. Im hoping for the 70s to hit 3300 fps which is just a hair faster than my 22" 6 x6.8. With heavy flutes it should carry nicely.

Last edited:
Are you wanting to save fur? That would make a difference in my choice. 22-250 if you want less hide damage generally. 243 if you just want them dead. As has been said, there are some pretty good options in the AR 15 platform as well.

I would agree that you may be a lot happier with a lighter rifle in the AR15 instead of a heavier AR10. I built an AR10 6mm creedmoor with the thought of it being my main coyote rifle. I’ve killed a number of coyotes with it but it is heavy. I’m almost always packing a lighter bolt action or AR15 instead of the heavy AR10. If you are still wanting to built an AR10, you should also look at the 22 Creedmoor and 6mm creedmoor.
The 22-250 and 243 win are both excellent coyotes cartridges as long as hide quality isn’t a priority.

i have both and both are bolt guns. ive gone on to build 3 additional 243s because they can also be used for deer and my kids are getting close to that age. i carry them on a sling as well as my call on a lanyard, so weight doesnt matter. i do some decently long walks through snow

The Remington R-25 semi-automatic rifle is in caliber 243 on the AR10 platform, has a 20-inch barrel and weighs only about 8 lb. Sounds good to me for tower stand night hunting to: golden jackals, foxes, badgers and maybe even hogs. What do you think about it?

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards the Ruger 243 with the shorter 16 inch barrel as soon as I can find one. Slap a 308 suppressor on it and it will probably still be louder than a 223 or 22-250 though

dk6RC8g.jpg

243, all the way.

A 243 can be loaded to 4,000fps+ using a 55gr Nosler BT.

The 6mm 55gr Btip has higher BC, .276 vs. 267.

A 243 can be loaded with heavier bullets, if wanted.

However, here in Colorado, you must use a sub-24cal if hunting coyotes during a big game season, if you don't have a big game license.

... therefore also in the USA, the homeland of freedom, with wonderful places and the possibility of hunting almost all huntable species ... there are restrictive rules and laws. Like here in Italy, where you can't go hunting with any AR rifle. The only exception is the Remington R25 caliber 243 classified category B4 (hunting semiautomatic). And you can't go hunting for deer with a caliber of less than 7 mm. And you can't use the suppressor .....

Originally Posted By: Ernest49The Remington R-25 semi-automatic rifle is in caliber 243 on the AR10 platform, has a 20-inch barrel and weighs only about 8 lb. Sounds good to me for tower stand night hunting to: golden jackals, foxes, badgers and maybe even hogs. What do you think about it?

Golden Jackals:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_jackal

Very coyote looking….

Last edited:
Pick your poison,used a 243 in the 70s with great success,use 223 and 22-250 now.Like making a pound of powder go a little farther,dead is dead.Yotes or cats do not care what caliber kills them.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...I'm leaning towards the Ruger 243 with the shorter 16 inch barrel as soon as I can find one. Slap a 308 suppressor on it and it will probably still be louder than a 223 or 22-250 though

dk6RC8g.jpg

I’ve been groups testing both my heavy 243 AR10’s. Next in line is my Remington 600 chambered in 243. It’s as lighter than my BB guns! It has a 16” barrel. Not that it bothers me but but it definitely kicks pretty good being it’s so light. Only load I’ve tried in it is a 90 grain load that shoots light out in my 26” heavy barrel 700. All three touched out of my 600 with the same 90 grain NBT load. Very light compact walking gun. I free floated and glass bedded the action and about and inch in front of the tang area. I also added a rifle basic trigger set at one and a quarter pounds.

I insatalled a 3-9 leupold 100 th anniversary optic with the range finding drops on it. Very light rig. It shoots tighter groups than either of my ar 10’s. It’s great little rifle to throw over your back with a sling and carry a shotgun so you have the best of both worlds.

Elkz4lg.jpg

xlXOcHZ.jpg

I might have to buy one of the 243 go wilds since they are only an ounce heavier and are threaded. I would assume that’s about the lightest 243 offering out there currently.

Last edited:
Back