22-204

In my 9T shilen, I did not see the slightest bit of pressure till I got to 3350, and accuracy was plenty good enough to hunt with....shocking. I was shooting the 40g Noslers into very tiny bug hole groups a tad over 4100 with IMR 4198...can not remember the powder charge.

I can't wait to do a 6/204 and try the 60g Sierra hp and the 70g TNT!

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: ackleymanI am running a .030 freebore reamer, 69's at 3150 shoot a bullet hole group...no kidding. 3250 fps was 1/2". 9T Shilen

60g Sierra and TMK shot bullet hole groups, but I did not check the speed.

I think that Gene has hit a home run....out of the park!

I am going to do a 6/250 next...Thanks AWS for all your help in the project!

Keith, another one bit the dust last night to the 22-204...Dead right there.

I have to say that in the beginning I too was skeptical of the velocity claims...but I am not beyond trying something out just for the sake of trying and seeing exactly what a cartridge will do. Having plenty of 204 brass...why not? I truly think that every so often a cartridge comes along or is "wildcatted" and it is just ballistically efficient. It boils down to bore size for a given cartridge, modern powders available, good bullets as well as a lot of other things. Why is the PPC the winningest cartridge going in shortrange benchrest? It is ballistically right, that is why. For some reason the 22-204 is "just right"...speed is there and the accuracy was something that really impressed me. You are right, this one was hit out of the park!
For those that doubt the velocity, that is fine...I too doubted in the beginning...couldn't get my head wrapped around the "claims"...but I now have first hand knowledge of it and do not need to post outrageous velocity claims on the internet just to be doing so...what I post is what I see on my chronograph. I have no reason to doubt AWS getting 4K with 40gr bullets and therefore it should be noted that getting 3700 from a 55gr bullet is certainly realistic...and I too thank AWS for having a lot of insight into this cartridge. I will post what the 22" AR15 barrel does once it gets chambered and I get it up and running.

Gene

Gene,

What powder are you using to get 55's running like this? I built a 22-204ai on a Savage action a couple of years back. Haven't messed with it for a while, but never got them that high. Mine is a 22" 9 twist. I think I was running Benchmark at the time and case was full. Shot good but not with these speeds. Thinking I need to revisit this one one of these days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Decoyed22-204 is called a 222 magnum. I use 204 brass to reload because 222 mag brass is hard to find

I beg to differ...look at the 2 cartridges side by side and you will see that the shoulder of the 204 is significantly taller than that of the 222mag...overall case length is the same, but shoulder height is where the difference is and is where you get an increase in powder capacity...as well as a 30* shoulder.
This has been beat to death and pictures have been posted of the 2 cartridges side by side. It is not a 222mag.

center is the 222 Rem Mag, the two to the right of it are 22-204, the two to the left art the 223 and 223AI

FkvqZ6.jpg

22-204 = 222 Rem Mag IMPROVED 30 degree

Originally Posted By: AWScenter is the 222 Rem Mag, the two to the right of it are 22-204, the two to the left art the 223 and 223AI

FkvqZ6.jpg

22-204 = 222 Rem Mag IMPROVED 30 degree

Thanks AWS...your pics are the ones I was referring to...glad you posted the pic.

Back