20 gauge handloads and chokes

DKG

Just recently got my hands on a 20 gauge 870 and I am setting it up for a youth hunter to use. I know every gun will be different, but I am hoping someone here can give me a starting point. On hand, I have nickel plated BB, non plated BBB, nickel plated F and 4 buck. For chokes, I have a Kicks Buck Kicker (full constriction) and a Carlson's .575 although I think that second one may be a bit tight for larger sizes.

I loaded up some 20 ga 7/8 oz loads of lead BBB for a 9 year old to shoot coyotes with many years ago. He killed two coyotes with those loads through a factory Rem Mod choke. Both coyotes were under 30 yards away.

I don't think I would load any bigger shot than lead BBB in a 20 ga. With bigger buckshot you won't have very many pellets per shell.

I used to have a bunch of HeviShot 3" #2's Goose loads that worked. My goto load of 1 oz of NP BB's in my 2 1/2" 16ga work very well for coyote but it is a 40 yrd and under rig.

16ga at 44 yards but it ran 100 yards
C3gith.jpg

39 yards and it broke a leg bone and he dropped on the spot.
mF8Jow.jpg

Most of the rest have been down in the under 30 yard and the BB's are a sure thing if you hit them.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I am loading 3" for me (sometimes, I just don't feel like lugging the 12 around when I'm looking for sign) and 2 3/4 for her. I am getting 27 +/- 1 pellets of F in a 1oz load, and a lot more in BB obviously. Going to pattern them tomorrow possibly if the wind and snow lets up.

Back