Whack-A-Mole: Kirsch Chronicles

Kirsch

This was an interesting stand. I had 6 coyotes for the night when I walked to this stand. My thoughts were to hope for at least one more to cap off a nice night. The setup was really nice. When I started calling, a pack of coyotes erupted off to my right. They were inside of 1 mile, and my anticipation was running really high.

The next 5 minutes were absolutely insane. Every time I would shoot one, and scan, there was another one coming. It was virtually non-stop until I had 5 coyotes down. It reminded me of the Whack-A-Mole game my kids used to play. One goes down, and another pops up.

I think I got it. Something with heavy base and piano in the back ground. You give your "dragger" a workout on that last stand. Fine shooting. You can be about as quick on the trigger as anybody I have watched. No use messing around when they are lined up looking for the music.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorGreat time you had there. Congrats. How is the fur? Considering how mild of a winter we had, and that it is early March, it wasn't bad. Of the 11 coyotes I shot on this night, I kept 10. I averaged $30 in the carcass for them which isn't great but for March coyotes was still pretty good. There are other areas that I have been hunting where it is about 50/50 if they are worth keeping. In this area, they all were still pretty nice.

Originally Posted By: weekenderI think I got it. Something with heavy base and piano in the back ground. You give your "dragger" a workout on that last stand. Fine shooting. You can be about as quick on the trigger as anybody I have watched. No use messing around when they are lined up looking for the music. There's a fine line between rushing and being too slow. I find if I wait too long, the coyotes tend to release.

Pretty impressive night for sure ! I’m thrilled if I get one around here ! That was shooting in self defense, lol !!!

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickPretty impressive night for sure ! I’m thrilled if I get one around here ! That was shooting in self defense, lol !!! Sometimes it just works. Right place at the right time.

Wow, the spree continues unabated. ND coyotes will breathe a sigh of relief when you give them a few months off.

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMIncredible season, Korey! When is you season over? I can't wait to hear the total! 3/15 is the end of our night hunting season. It will take awhile to get through some of the stockpiled footage. I will have a final piece that shows all the kill shots. It is getting quite long even with 5-6 seconds for each coyote.

Originally Posted By: .17mistHas to be highest total for a single hunter in the country. He’s a coyote killin’ machine Very kind words, but I highly doubt that I have the highest toal of any single hunter. There are lots of people who can hunt all year around and live in the heart of coyote country. A very limited night season in ND, the typical harsh ND winters conditions, and my living 2+ hours from coyote country limits how many I can get. However, COVID plus a mild winter helped me get out more times this year than normal.

Back