Saturday Morning Small Ugly Coyote

fratri

Got to the farm at first light... Went back to the same place I shot one about a month ago... Setup in just about the same location. After about 5 minutes or so of calling I look over my left shoulder and there is a coyote making his way to my caller/decoy.
The snow level has decreased significantly over the past 2 weeks making walking a lot easier but much more noisy as the remaining snow is all crusty.
As I try to reposition myself, the crusty snow gives me away, he turns and starts running away. I lift my gun off the shooting sticks, take the first shot miss....Try and line him up again, miss number 2, now I have to get up and move around some brush for the final shot and I think it's a hit. I see him sputter and loose balance. He runs off and I loose sight of him....
I collect my gear and go for a walk... At first I could not find anything but after retracing my steps I find the first signs of blood.... I followed the blood trail for about 250 yds before finding him piled up along the edge of the bush...
A bit lucky and a bit proud as that 3rd shot was a standing, off hand rifle shot at over 250 yds on a running coyote, not an easy thing to do... I definitely hit him too far back but must have hit a main artery. He had the beginning sign of mange (rat like tail) so had to leave him behind......

51008419863_ae325050e1_b.jpg

How it played out
51009228327_a00ba32006_b.jpg

The blood trail
51009228222_c4209498c3_o.jpg

The find
51009126661_1c0171b6e2_o.jpg

The pose
51009283802_7abd753fa1_o.jpg

Last edited:
You done good to make contact on the 3rd shot under those conditions. Off hand ain't easy at one standing still much less running for his life. Congrats on a dead one.

Back