Bca side charger upgrade?

I emailed them a week ago and they couldn't give me exact details. I assume they are enlarging the charging handle slot, drilling and tapping the bolt carrier and reassembling with the new hardware. Considering I gave 99 to 125 bucks for my upper combos I think I will pass. I think it makes more sense to buy new.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/gen2-upgradeprogram-223-5-56-300-350

Also says new handguard screws????

Putting some loc tite on the head of the screw (not on the threads) before dropping it in the handle and screwing it on allows you to give it a twist now and then. I see an upside to it being loose because it's possible to take the bcg out in the field without an allen.
I can't imagine you would get all new upper and bcg for 99 bucks plus freight but it splits the program up into different bolt face sizes which would only make sense if they were providing a new bolt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I emailed them a week ago and they couldn't give me exact details. I assume they are enlarging the charging handle slot, drilling and tapping the bolt carrier and reassembling with the new hardware. Considering I gave 99 to 125 bucks for my upper combos I think I will pass. I think it makes more sense to buy new.
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/gen2-upgradeprogram-223-5-56-300-350

Also says new handguard screws????

Putting some loc tite on the head of the screw (not on the threads) before dropping it in the handle and screwing it on allows you to give it a twist now and then. I see an upside to it being loose because it's possible to take the bcg out in the field without an allen.
I can't imagine you would get all new upper and bcg for 99 bucks plus freight but it splits the program up into different bolt face sizes which would only make sense if they were providing a new bolt.

Ya, I read up on this and it is very vague on what they are actually doing. Also saw the 6 handguard screws???
I also use loctite on my bolt handle and also have one of their dual charge side charge uppers where you would not even need to use the bolt handle if you didn't want to...this would allow for clearing the rifle if the bolt handle were to have come off in the field.
I see BCA does not have any Upper Side Charge only in stock now and have not had any for quite some time...and their Handguards are no longer listed...almost as if they are going out of business.
I sent them a message inquiring about all of this...will be interesting what the response is.

Last edited:
No forward assist if thats what you are referring too. That's probably because the proper way to chamber a round is to not ride the bolt home. But i understand what you are saying.

Understood. Thats why i charge the weapon at the vehicle. The bolt going home makes no more noise than the exhaust from your vehicle while driving in, especially when charged in the cab.

Twenty years ago that might be true but my exhaust system have gotten much quieter with age lol.
More than once Ive double checked to see if my gun was loaded while on the pod. I've seen guy gun go click with no round in and Ive had it happen to me. Hard to check with no forward assist or charge handle that allows you to force closed. Little bit of spring back in the brass on occasion can cause a tight round now and again and cause an issue. Hunting at night just amplifies any issue and it seems murphy often likes to accompany me. Just like turkey or deer hunting I never let the bolt fly. Just built in my mind to be as quiet as possible I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: G Anderson
varminter .223 said:
I see BCA does not have any Upper Side Charge only in stock now and have not had any for quite some time...and their Handguards are no longer listed...almost as if they are going out of business.

they can barely keep assembled uppers in stock due to demand

why would they offer stripped uppers and handguards as individual items if they're using all their production capacity to keep complete barreled uppers in stock?

i get that its frustrating - [beeep] i'd love a couple upper receivers from them too just to put on the shelf for future builds - but demand is probably as high as its ever been, and every company is struggling to keep up with demand.

i actually bought a 16" grendel upper from them just to use as a donor platform for my Arc build. was almost cheaper than assembling the components separately (if i could have found them that way anyway) even considering the barrel a complete loss if i couldnt sell it after i removed it.

its where the market is these days with all the nonsense going on (both political and covid/riots/etc)

Yeah with all of the [beeep] emails they send out each day pushing their product. Doesn’t look like they are going out of business anytime soon

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I'm waiting for 229.00 side charging uppers like pre sleepy joe days

i'm waiting for $40/brick primers to come back.

Lol..none for me. That 99 Christmas deal a couple years ago was when I struck. I can't even get myself interested in a 329.00 complete upper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: .17mist$311 for gen 2 receiver and bolt. Gtfo bca. They hungry!

amen. they can kiss my furry white butt at that price. i dont *need* a new upper at that price. but i'm sure someone will buy one. simply because they exist. and really that price - based on today's market.. isnt out of the realm of crazy. its a tough pill to swallow.. but its the world that we live in right now.

because places like SAA are selling regular flat top uppers with bcg for $255.

and if you take a $160 bcg and a $120 (non stripped flat top upper)... its really not that far from reality to ask that price for a side charger.

[beeep] i paid right around $300 for my first side-charger, used. but that was back before places like bca started making them and blowing them out the door for $99-$120. they were all $400 back then. if you could find one.

midway doesnt have a single 5.56 bcg in stock. brownell's has several, starting at $180 each. joebobs has 0 in stock.

even discount places like PSA struggle to put a BCG on sale for under $165, no less actually have them in stock. i was stunned to see a basic m16 bcg on the daily deal, in stock, for $140 when i looked.

so before ya'll get out the pitchforks, tar and feathers... maybe, just maybe... look at the rest of the firearms world right now for some perspective.

Back