Phenom 640-35 17 µm VS Phenom 640-35 12 µm ?

Ernest49

On the official Bering Optics website there is the Phenom 640-35mm 17 µm. The specifications of the Phenom 640-35mm 12 µm are not seen.

https://beringoptics.com/catalog/?goods=217

What is the difference in vision between the 2 models? To see the specifications of the new model we have only the excellent table published by Kirsch :

eZNj03P.jpg

How can we be sure to buy the new 12 µm model in Italy?

https://armeriaregina.it/it/camere-termiche/6702-phenom-640thermal-monocular-10x35-wi-fi.html

Is there any serial number that unequivocally identifies the 12 µm model?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ernest49On the official Bering Optics website there is the Phenom 640-35mm 17 µm. The specifications of the Phenom 640-35mm 12 µm are not seen. The easiest way to tell the 12 µm and the 17 µm is to start up the Phenom, and look at the Menu. If there is an icon at the bottom of the first Menu page with 3 squares and a diamond, this is the icon meaning next page. This icon only exists on the Phenom 12 µm as the 17 µm did not have a 2nd page. I confirmed with Bering this morning there are no plans to produce the 17 µm version going forward. They are only selling 12 µm units going forward. Here is a comparison chart of the differences. For now, Bering has kept the price the same to everyone's surprise (including myself).

phenom_comp.jpg

From a practicality standpoint, the biggest differences is an improved image on the 12 µm, less of a FOV (which I know isn't ideal for some), a little longer battery life, an inclinometer (probably not needed). Both models do not have a blind pixel repair at this time, but I have been told it is planned for a future firmware update along with a contrast adjustment. I can't stress enough, the image on the 12 m Phenom is stunning.

Thanks for the great precision in detail Korey! The explanation is very clear, as always. But now you should also advise Boris to update the website, inserting the characteristics of the 12 µm model, replacing them with those of the 17 µm model, which by now they no longer produce ....

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Thanks for the great precision in detail Korey! The explanation is very clear, as always. But now you should also advise Boris to update the website, inserting the characteristics of the 12 µm model, replacing them with those of the 17 µm model, which by now they no longer produce .... I spoke to them about it this morning. Virtually all dealer's websites say they are selling the 12 µm version but list the specs for the 17 because they copied it right from Bering's Website and never bothered to get new specs from Bering. The Night Goggle's Site is correct.

Korey : ".....Here is a comparison chart of the differences. For now, Bering has kept the price the same to everyone's surprise (including myself)."

I can no longer see the excellent comparison table between Phenom 640 17 µm
and 12 µm. It appears to be erased ?

Last edited:
I closed my GPS mapping company called Kirsch's Outdoor Products. I was hosting all my images and documents there, so many of my old links no longer work. I am trying to move the main ones to Night Goggles. The only difference between the 17 and 12 is the FOV and Magnification. Bering has also told me there was a slight increase in battery life as well. They are saying 6 hours of battery life.

Phenom_Specs.jpg

Back