Coming From A Long Ways Off

DoubleUp

#35 by Double Up, on Flickr

When we stopped at the place where we were going to unload the bikes and go set up to call I spotted a coyote working along a wooded edge to our north. Unfortunately the wind was not right and we never saw him again. We heard some howl way out in a big open field and my partner challenged them back, but another coyote also sounded off much closer to them. They were right at a mile from us, but I could see one of them charging across the field to where the other coyote sounded. We never did get any to come to us on our stand.

When we left, my hunting partner was driving separate, so I decided to look that big field over since I had to ride right by it. I spotted the same coyote that I saw from a mile away out in the field hunting about 200 yds. from the highway. Shooting from that highway is not allowed and there is too much traffic anyway. So, I took the closest road which went up into the field and stopped at a tractor. That put me right at half a mile away from the coyote. I set up the call and turned on a prey distress pretty loud. Immediately he started coming to me on the run. I killed him at about 85 yds. I think. It was a big male. Here is the video:

DoubleUp ... wonderful video, truly exceptional! Of course it is a little impressive to see the cars speeding along the highway in the background! From an observer who does not know the territory, it would seem a little dangerous to shoot in that direction. But still the video is beautiful. From the 2.8X magnification, which can be read below, you are probably using the very good Pulsar Apex XQ50, which has an angular FOV of 7.5x5.6 and a linear FOV of 39.1 feet at 100 yards. To calculate the speed of the cars, I am missing a fundamental datum: the distance of the highway .... Obviously, knowing the distance, one could also calculate the speed of a coyote that runs transversely with respect to the observer.

Last edited:
Ernest when the cars show on the video from the left they are about 975 yds. and when they show at the right they are about 1,075 yds. However the video is playing at double speed up to the 1:19 mark where it switches back to normal speed.

Speed limit on this section of highway is 55 mph, so they are probably travelling at least that fast. The distance of highway shown is about 310 yds. according to Google Earth.

You will notice I pick a time when there are no cars going down the highway when the shots occur, and there are no houses on this section.

I don't know if this will help your calculations, but you're the Math Professor and I'm just the Shooter.

Last edited:
It truly is amazing how well they hear and how far they will come at times. I know lots of hunters think they don't have any need for recording, and I understand that they probably don't have any interest in posting on YouTube for various reasons. While I get a lot of enjoyment out of sharing the videos, that's not my main purpose. It is very educational to be able to look back at what actually occurred, and being able to slow the speed down and see exactly where you were aiming when the shot broke. It will amaze you what really occurred compared to what you would have sworn occurred.

... DoubleUp you are an excellent hunter and shooter, with an infinite passion .... You also have the great ability to optimize and enhance the use of the Pulsar Apex XQ50, despite being this device "discontinued" and outdated, at least theoretically from the latest Pulsars. But I am just a modest retired math professor, who dreams and theorizes your night hunt. If you knew how much I wish our respective roles were reversed .....

Thank you Ernest, you're very kind to say that. Actually I was a bit disappointed in my video last night. It all happened so quickly that I didn't take time to adjust my contrast and brightness. The picture was a bit "washed out" looking or oversaturated. So many things happening at once when a coyote is coming on a string, it is difficult to get everything just right. Still, I have been very happy with the "old" Pulsar Apex XQ50.

Perhaps some day you can come to the USA and participate in our coyote hunting here.

Great video as always. The coyote was kind of spinning/hopping to the music. A person has to be careful, as you were, when hunting by roads and houses. Good patience.

Awesome video ! I have to admit I was disappointed with the follow up shot as that coyote had some impressive spinning moves going at that point but with that said you did the proper thing with the 2nd shot !

Thanks guys! As weekender says about Kirsch, I've called in a lot of coyotes with that song. It's actually named "Slow Rabbit." Seriously though, I shot that coyote right in the point of the shoulder deliberately to see what the result would be. It broke his shoulder and I think he would have just spun a few more times and gone down, but I never like to see an animal suffer. DRT is always the desire for all of us I'm pretty sure, but it doesn't always happen on one shot.

I've been surprised at the penetration of the 50 V-max over the few coyotes I've shot with the 16" barrel recently. They have been in the 150-220 yd. range and they have been exiting on every shot.

Back