17 REM. BERGER BULLET PERFORMANCE???

Greetings Riflemen ----

It seems like 'bout every 17 cal. bullet nowadays is some sort of an explosive V-Max type bullet

I'm looking for a 17 Remington 25 gr. bullet that would have the same great performance on Coyotes and other large predators as the old Discontinued Hornady .172 25 gr. Hollow Point in the 17 Remington.

Might anyone know how the Berger 25 gr. hollow performs for these purposes? ---- OR know of any 25 gr. bullet that will penetrate deeply without blowing up??

Cas in Wyoming

Hello Borkon....

Thank You for responding! :)

Are you referring to This Berger bullet??:

17 Caliber 25 Grain FB Varmint
G1 BC: 0.152

Would this bullet penetrate deep into a Wolf sized canine without blowing up shallow??

Cas

Borkon was referring to the older Berger Match 25gr. that they no longer make. Chan Nagel or Blackhole Bullets makes a great Coyote bullet that won't give you surface explosions. There are a few other makers that market good pelt bullets also.

Anyone ever come to a conclusion on whether the bulk pack Hornady 25 HP that Midway sells is the same bullet as the discontinued one? I bought a couple thousand of them last fall when they were $90 a thousand, but haven't used any yet. Gave 500 to a buddy that needed them but he hasn't had a chance to shoot any coyotes with them yet either.

Still available, for $90/500. Which isn't bad for these days and was actually the "regular" price last fall.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010925944?pid=901653

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Western RiflemanWould this bullet penetrate deep into a Wolf sized canine without blowing up shallow?? As a good rule of thumb, any bullet that has the name varmint in it, is not a penetrating bullet. The old Berger .17 25gr Match was a very good round.

The second part was you mentioned wolf sized animal. The .17 Rem is a great round, but I would not recommend it for a wolf or animal of this size. There are lots that would say it is undersized even for coyotes. I have shot lots of coyotes with a .17 Rem, but still prefer the good old 22-250 for coyotes. When I was shooting fox and coyote, I liked the .17 Rem a lot.

I shot a grand total of 1 coyote with the 25gr Berger Match in a 17 Fireball. Was a fairly close shot, and not ideal placement. Had to shoot it a second time. MV was 3850 fps, so less than the 17 Rem will give

I would not suggest using a 17 cal on wolf, even a 204 would be light in my opinion

Unless you have a good stash of the older .17 caliber Coyote bullets and there were quite a few brands out there that were very good fur bullets. You’re wasting your time using or buying a .17 Caliber for Coyotes. Most manufacturers have stopped making the good Coyote bullets. I am lucky I bought a bunch of them years ago for my .17 Tactical so I am good for the rest of its barrel life and probably one more. But that being said I have been using my .204 Ruger most of the time recently for my Coyote fur gun, using the 35 grain Bergers. They seem to do almost identically what the old 25 grain Berger match did (kill coyotes extremely well with very little fur damage).

Good Hunting Chad

I just bought a custom 17-204ruger and I need 17 cal bullets, if anyone reading this thread has some for sale, please PM me.

Dave

I could use some 204 brass as well. THanks

Again Midway has the Hornady 25gr HP, $89.00 per 500.

People are shooting deer with these bullets per the reviews on the midway page.
The bullets are making it to the opposite side of the deer, and punching holes in right behind the shoulder without blowing up, pic's included.
For yotes this is the bullet you want, buy em.

Originally Posted By: DAAAnyone ever come to a conclusion on whether the bulk pack Hornady 25 HP that Midway sells is the same bullet as the discontinued one? I bought a couple thousand of them last fall when they were $90 a thousand, but haven't used any yet. Gave 500 to a buddy that needed them but he hasn't had a chance to shoot any coyotes with them yet either.

Still available, for $90/500. Which isn't bad for these days and was actually the "regular" price last fall.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010925944?pid=901653

- DAA
It's the same bullet as the old 25 HP. I bought 5000 of them and have shot some at the local gopher population. They did not complain.
grin.gif

Back