25-204 Refresher on Specs Please...

gunsbam45

Really like My Kimber Montana in .223, and would also like a .204, which was the original reason for hunting them down, and to try a 25-204 on one. Seems like maybe AWS or someone on here told me the Montana action may be just a bit short to get the full capability of the 25-204 due to not being able to go out to optimum OAL with the 100 grain TSX I'd like to try in it. Just looking to get a refresher from AWS on his experience and specs with his, and from anyone else that's worked with the 25-204 loading.

I have mine on a Savage 10/11 action that started as a 223. The early ones had a longer block in the mag., the later ones in 204/223 had a shorter block allowing a longer OAL. I load mine to 2.41" max in my mag. 100gr Partitions at 2800-2850fps, 85gr NBT at 3000fps and 75gr V-max at 3150 out of a 21" barrel.

It is pretty much of a clone of the 257 Kimber with no serious case forming, you can use the Kimber data but as always start low. I think I'm about a .5-1 grain under the Kimber data.

As far as I know this is the first whitetail taken with a 25-204. Nov. 2005 Cable, WI public land buck
mCKiXK.jpg

Last edited:
OK. Sounds like you're quite happy with things as is, but if you were to have the block in the magazine removed or shortened, would it gain you some good practical powder capacity, or nothing much left to gain?

I'm happy with things the way they are. I've found the Savages very touchy to get to feed correctly in the small bolt, if the bullets are seated out too far they hit the back of barrel. I have a whole drawer of mag boxes and followers I've fiddled with.

Back