Best night this season

lockrotor

My hunting partner and I had high hope on Thursday night. He missed a standing fox at 50 yds, and I had a quick shoot at 150 yds and missed. Fast forward to Friday night. We had 2 fox come in to less than 50 yds and we let them walk, we have seen 5 fox this year, more than I have seen in the last 10 years, in one season, it was great.

We went to a new spot we haven't tried before. Got out of the truck and we hear 2 groups of coyotes howling, great sign. We set up facing north because of the south wind. Have a silhouette decoy out about 35yd to the east. Have bird distress sound going, had a group light up and then another. We are sitting waiting for action. Then from the nowhere a coyote is coming straight in from the north. Amazing how they can do that. I tell my partner to get ready. As the coyote is coming closer I'm lower the sound down and watch it. It comes to a stop at 135yd and looks. It turns broadside and my partner shots and first one down for the night. I change sounds to rabbit and keep calling.
About 10 minutes late we have a pair coming in from the west. They are coming in and see the dead coyote on the ground and change direction and head right toward it. They stop about 25 yds from it and look. We shot and mine goes down and my partners runs straight north not to be seen again. It should of been 3 down. We go to pick them up and my buddy hit his why back in the guts. Yesterday he missed a standing fox at 50 yds, this coyote is hit way to far back, and missed another coyote standing at 135yd. He's going to recheck his rifle today.

50986258277_d685a4f4cc_b.jpg

We head out to another spot we haven't called this season and we are sitting on a rock out crop calling an big open field. Have rabbit distress going. We have a pair coming in from the east. The female holds up about 200 yds out and the male keeps coming. I get a nice broadside shot at 125 yds and it down, female take
off back to the east.

50986255712_0448866ecb_b.jpg

Made another set but my hunting partner is snoring, so I call it a night. Back home at 4am.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

I'm envious of you and your partner calling coyotes across snow covered lands during a full moon. Thank you for sharing your adventures!

Originally Posted By: DesertRamThat's a good night. Those coyotes still look pretty nice.
Yes these do, but we know that going to change quickly.

Originally Posted By: SnowshoesI'm envious of you and your partner calling coyotes across snow covered lands during a full moon. Thank you for sharing your adventures!
You might be envious of our night hunting. We wish we could see and shot them during daylight. Don't get me wrong it is fun, but NV would help alot. One guy I know is close to 50. He said it a total game changer.

Originally Posted By: fratriNice going, those coyotes look pretty good
Congrats
Thanks, these do look good, haven't shot any with mange, or shoulder mitts this year.

Originally Posted By: borkonNice work.
Those don't look half bad for this late.

Thanks Brokon, these were good. Buy this warm weather, I'm thinking saturday morning will be my last outing.

Back