Fun stuff on the Weekend Trip

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I had a great time, it is really a lot of fun doing things with weirdos like myself that think gun progress ended when they put barrels on top of each other. We had a great crowd with folks from about 5-6 different states and some incredibly fine guns from Germany, France, Austria, Sweeden(mine), Belgium, the UK and the good old USofA(Parkers, LC Smiths, old Remingtons, Fox's and LeFever's who-wee! heady stuff.

The shoot and show were held on a cattle ranch and when the Rancher saw my PM hat said that the coyotes have been harassing's his calve and I should shoot all I saw. Challenge on. Being as I was going to a sxs shoot I left the rifles and scoped drillings home. Well I I rummaged through the truck and found three 16ga 2.5" shells loaded with an ounce of BB's and I had a 114 yr old drilling along that I was going to shoot in a 16gamatch(it did well). Under my jeans on the coat hook was an old Screey jackrabbit closed reed call, I was set.

I headed out in the pasture with a nice cross wind, a couple blasts on the call and I saw him pop out of the brush about 200 yards out, he came in on a string just stopping a couple times and needed just a little coaxing. At 44 yards just a little farther than I wanted him I felt the breeze on the back of my neck and he locked up like a statue. I knew he wasn't coming any farther so I let her rip, he yelped, went down and took off like a bat out of h--l but slowed and went down about 100 yards out, It took me awhile to find him as I didn't realize he had crossed a deep arroyo but found him about 30 yard beyond, good thing I saw him go down as there wasn't a drop of blood anywhere. Fun way to start the shoot.

Big for a border coyote
C3gith.jpg

Last edited:
Most times there is a lot more to it than just another downed predator. It's often the little things that really make us enjoy and remember the hunt. Congrats on a fine experience.

Good looking old shotgun. Always fun to take a coyote with a special gun. Congratulations.

Regards,
hm

I actually use SxS combo guns a lot for coyote hunting that's why there were a couple shells still in the truck from an earlier hunt. I usually take them out in really thick stuff or when I'm hunting with a partner. They aren't quite as old and are scoped.

This is the one I usually take it is 20yrs younger than the other, hasn't quite reached the century mark. This one is a 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer The older one is a 16ga/16ga/9.3x72R(I didnt have any ammo for the rifle barrel along)
mF8Jow.jpg

Interestingly the the parent case for the 6.5x58R is the 9.3x72R and it is quite a project to make cases for the 6.5.

L to R 243Win 6.5x58R 9.3x72R
6v77Cn.jpg

Back