Montana coyote,gopher, and P dog shooters, Be advised.

jetman

I was just out at the FWP to get all my licenses.
Montana state school trust Land.
You all know how we have a "use permit" on our Conservation license? That does let up access state trust lands to hunt and fish BUT.
Not recreational shooting only hunting and fishing, AND.
Coyotes, gophers, and P dogs are NOT game animals, so your, are Not "Hunting" where you're shooting them. Your permit does NOT let you use state lands for that. We need to have the additional use permit for recreation, another ten bucks, permit.
I Talked with the Warden at the Regional FWP office in Great Falls. SOOO All that said when we go out and sight in or test loads or shoot gophers, we all need the recreational state use permit. You have to ask for it when you get all licensed up. Including calling coyotes... This pertains to nonresidents too.
BE advised

School Trust lands are pretty much a no go for even stomping about without the new permit. Some of them are fenced with signs stating access limits, these are usually tattered with bullet holes. Gee officer...that big ole Mulie buck wasn't on that land when i pulled the trigger...

That was a good reminder. There are,and always have been,MANY differences for the use of school trust lands VS "Public Land". From camping, firewood collection, trapping to target shooting. Definately need to closely read the regs.

It could be like NM where the state "trades" public lands to an outfitter and you are not even allowed on it. I know of a spot like this that has a bunch of elk in NM. No public access on a 1 square mile of state land that you can't hunt on unless you are with the outfitter that has exclusive rights.

A "business" lease, eh?

State land in NM is de facto private, except for most hunting. You can't hike, camp, or engage in other recreation on state land without the lessee's permission. You can hunt most state land because the game and fish leases the hunting rights for a $1M per year from the state land office.

Originally Posted By: jetman
Coyotes, gophers, and P dogs are NOT game animals, so your, are Not "Hunting" where you're shooting them.

I have hunted as a non-resident in Montana for many years and I do not agree with your post. A MT conservation license exempts the requirement for a State Land Recreational Use License for hunting predatory animals and nongame species on state school trust lands. Shooting not related to hunting is not covered by the conservation license exemption.

Montana DNRC states:

General Recreation
By agreement between DNRC and the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks (DFWP), persons who possess a valid Montana Conservation License from DFWP will be authorized to engage in hunting, fishing, and trapping on legally accessible state trust lands that are not closed or restricted to such use.

State Land Recreational Use License
Persons desiring to conduct all other types of noncommercial and/or nonconcentrated types of activities falling within the definition of "general recreational use", such as camping, hiking, skiing, sight-seeing, horseback use, etc., unless such activities are conducted in conjunction with and incidental to hunting, fishing, and trapping, will be required to possess a "State Land Recreational Use License", which is available from any authorized DFWP license agent...

Montana hunting guide states:

State School Trust Lands
• A Conservation License provides hunters, anglers and trappers access to lawfully accessible State School Trust lands for related activities during applicable seasons. Additional permitting is required through the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC) for trapping on trust lands.

Predatory Animals and Nongame Hunting
Predatory animals and nongame species can be hunted in Montana year-round without a license by both resident and nonresident hunters. A Conservation License, or a State School Trust lands recreational use license is required to hunt predatory animals and nongame species on State School Trust lands. Permission must be obtained to hunt predatory animals and nongame species on private land.

Predatory Animals are classified as coyote, weasel, (striped) skunk, and civet cat (spotted skunk).

Nongame species are defined as any wild animal not otherwise lawfully classified by statute or regulation in Montana. Examples include badger, raccoon, red fox, hares, rabbits, ground squirrels, marmots, tree squirrels, porcupines, and prairie dog.

Last edited:
That was straight from the head enforcement warden in the regional 4 office in Great Falls. Do what you want, just be aware...

You may get away with it IF there was a hunting season at the time your hunting. In July maybe not so much.

Last edited:
The written guide, is better information than non judicial opinion. Even law enforcement can "interpret" incorrectly, a judge has to determine what the words mean in legislation,when a case is presented.

Me heap big confused on State lands access etc . Very BAD .Some where is says OK others not so !Need permission with block management if in BM.even if on public road . Befuddled

I’ve hunted montana once and had a hard time understanding the laws so I won’t go back. The way I see it most gf/dnr laws are complicated lengthy and vague to make money on tickets. The first thing most co’s do is look how to fine you. In my state of Minnesota I’ve been told by several officers the laws are made for the purpose of fining people not for protecting wildlife. I’m not saying all officers are bad or all laws are bad but a lot are just ridiculous. I hope some day the bs govt could get there act straight but we know that’s not going to happen.

Originally Posted By: DecoyedI’ve hunted montana once and had a hard time understanding the laws so I won’t go back. The way I see it most gf/dnr laws are complicated lengthy and vague to make money on tickets. The first thing most co’s do is look how to fine you. In my state of Minnesota I’ve been told by several officers the laws are made for the purpose of fining people not for protecting wildlife. I’m not saying all officers are bad or all laws are bad but a lot are just ridiculous. I hope some day the bs govt could get there act straight but we know that’s not going to happen.

I don't know you from Adam, but I completely disagree with everything you wrote. It is a shame that anyone would stop hunting a beautiful state like Montana just because they didn't take the time to ask a few questions to get clarification on the laws/regulations.

Don't like the laws or take the time to research then stay home, more for me to shoot. I probably shot/hunted in 15 different states, not big game but pests & rodents. Never had a problem, but then I always know where I'm at and what I'm doing.

Back