4 coyotes yesterday, should have got 5 or 6 coyotes!

derbyacresbob

On our second stand yesterday we had a bunch of coyotes about a half mile away start yacking at our Foxpro as soon as we started playing coyote vocal sounds.

I was laying at the base of a hill with my shotgun and JP7mag wa closer to the top of the hill about 70 yards back behind me.

It was only about 5 minutes later I saw a coyote flying towards me about 300 yards away. It didn't take long and I sat up and shot this coyote with my shotgun. Right after I shot I saw two coyotes run off to my left about 200 yards away.

4 or 5 minutes later another coyote was heading our way just like the first one. It stopped and started challenging us at about 200 yards away, so JP7mag shot it with his 243 Win.
IMG_9263 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kG7ZbY t=_blank]IMG_9253 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

On the next stand I was laying down with my shotgun again with JP7mag backing me up again with his 243 Win. After playing some coyote vocals JP7mag switched to Bay Bee Cottontail sound and a few minutes later I see a coyote stop on a little low ridge about 60 yards in front of me. Then I see movement to my right and it is a coyote 35 yards away heading towards me.

When I sat up to shoot the close coyote I see another coyote just behind it and to my right about 10 yards from the second coyote.

This was when my brain got overloaded and went into panic coyote fever mode!
crazy.gif

I shot 3 shots way to quickly at the closest running coyote. I hit this coyote on all 3 shots and it went down on the third shot. Then I swung back to the left and shot two shots at a running coyote that was about 50 yards away and was crossing away to my left. "I didn't lead this coyote enough".

When I looked back at where the first coyote I shot went down it was not there and I couldn't find it. It was a very sick feeling having that coyote get away and not getting any coyotes after shooting 5 shots with my shotgun.

I should have given JP7mag a few seconds to shoot the standing coyote on the ridge and the started shooting the running coyotes after JP7mag shot. I have lots of excuses other than choking and coyote fever but I will only mention one more of them. Yesterday morning the wind was howling at about 4 mph and the temp was all the way down to 33 degrees. LOL

We ended up getting two more coyotes on different stands with a shotgun.
IMG_9277 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kG7ibb t=_blank]IMG_9286 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr
Being able to get two coyotes with my shotgun after blowing it so bad on that one stand made me feel a little better.
smile.gif

We were hunting on a pretty big ranch for the first time so it was pretty exciting getting to see some new country.

Congrats on your success at getting on the new ground, piling up some fur, and figuring out what went wrong so you never get coyote fever again.... well that last part !@#$^^

Great pics as usual.

Always hate blown shots, but a 4 coyote day would be an excellent day down here!
Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

Great story and awesome pictures! It can't get much better than calling and shotgunning them.

That [beeep] coyote fever is addicting. I've been left with shaking hands, ringing ears and no coyotes more than once!

It was a very sick feeling having that coyote get away and not getting any coyotes after shooting 5 shots with my shotgun.

5 loads of TSS into the air is enough to make anyone sick

Back