Baiting

On another note reference baiting...it's a GREAT thing!! Went out calling last night for about 8 or so sets. Now it should be noted that I went with 2 guys that were 20 yrs my younger. In some cases, pushing snow up hill with our knee caps...set after set. It was a great night of calling, no coyotes, and I kept up with them, but, wow, Advill this morning. Aspercream on the knees last night upon getting home...Baiting is a great thing!!!

DoubleUp, that little 50 V-max sure does the job. That’s the kind of shot I like.

Baitpile, I know the feeling. Used to I could work all day and then sleep like a baby that night. Now it seems it doesn’t take much to feel the pain and be awake at night because of it.

Thanks folks, I've apparently had an influx of fresh coyotes. We usually get a few this time of year. I guess it's because breeding season is on and they're looking for mates. Anyway glad to finally get a few coming by.

Had some luck tonight. Pardon the graphics, this is what the whole trail looked like. Hit was a little low with a 60 gr Vmax out of a .223 AR at 130 yds. Was a little disappointed...she ran about 150 yds or better straight up hill, bleeding like this. I'm a bit more use to DRT, but again, my fault, I hit a little low. Anyway, some activity at last.

j30121 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr

j30121 (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Coyotes are a lot like deer. You never know how they may respond to a hit, even good and lethal hits. In general, the limited experience I have had with the 60 Vmax in a 223 has been good. But like you say, a marginal hit can produce similar results, and that’s with any bullet. Nonetheless, he’s on the ground. Congrats.

Finally had a visitor on my pile. Came in at 4:30am this morning. Used 223ai with 60 gr Tmk. Was surprised that wasn’t any exit. Stayed inside. DRT. Nice little female

[img:left]http://[/img]

Nice work tj! That's good news on the 60 TMK. I just bought 500 of em thinking about running them in .223. But based on my 60 vmax experience, I think I need more speed. Albeit, the vmax was coming out of a 16" AR, I'm thinking .22-250 for those now. At any rate, congrats on the kill, good job.

If you guys have a clean shot miss on a coyote over a bait pile do you find that they usually come back to the bait that season or are they as good as gone?

That is a tough question. This is just my opinion only here, but, it would be really hard to know unless you have distinct physical descriptors on a specific coyote. For example...one eye, peg leg, bob tail...something that you know is the same coyote. Most of us run trail cams at the site and are able to identify specific coyotes on occasion. I once had a frequent coyote that had a snare cable around his neck...I knew that coyote. However, I never really knew if I ever shot at him and missed. I miss coyotes, just don't know if he was one of them...if that makes sense. I was never able to see a cable through a scope...just on trail cam pics. I would say, on occasion, they may stop back at some point in the season, just hard to say a definite yes. Another scenario here...doubles or triples at the bait site. If you shoot one, will the other one or two come back at some point. I think so. It just may depend on where they are at in respect to shot impact at the site...
Maybe some others have a better insight or actual scenarios where they know a specific coyote came back...

Back