Baiting

I had a pair hit the bait pile early last week. With all the rain we've had it took them until last night to return.
The pair came in just before 10:45. The female went right to the chicken scraps and started eating. The male as they usually do, kept hanging back and allowing the female to eat all she wanted. I was hoping to get them in a position to kill both, but since I was shooting my AR-15 with a 50 gr. V-max, I decided to take the closer shot on the female hoping the male might run a few yards and stop to see what happened to her. No such luck as he hit the afterburners and didn't stop till he reached the woods. The 50 gr. V-max shot all the way through her and exited on her left hip. Here is the picture as she lay and the video.

#31 by Double Up, on Flickr

Video:

Perfect DU! Congrats on another one! Very nice to see some action. I just recently moved my Photo RT over to an AR15 to do some load work on the Rem700 .243 that is giving me stress. I'm running 60 Vmax in the AR. Have not had any opportunities to see how that performs with that bullet yet at 170 yd. Stay after em...maybe things are going to pick up.

Nice going DoubleUp. We were just a few minutes apart from pulling triggers on yotes. I got a female last night at 10:55 PM.

After getting that last coyote, another one showed up within three days. I figured it could be a female, perhaps the other half of a pair.

After being alerted via cell camera and phone that a coyote had visited the site on the early morning of the 20th, I rushed around yesterday and loaded up some 90 gr. Nosler Varmageddon's to try since the other two bullets were definitely lacking in smack-down ability. Zero remained constant from the previous 90 gr. Speer TNT, so I didn't have to change the scope setting.

The alarm sounded just before 10:55 PM. I turned on the security camera and monitor to see what was at the bait site, and quickly saw it was a coyote. The coyote was focused on getting something to eat, so didn't pay much attention to my direction like the last one did. At the shot, it hit the dirt, the way I like it. Too early to tell if this bullet will continue with similar results, but at least this one was good.

I guess I do things a little different than most when sighting thermal. It works for me anyway. I use a can lid that I attach to a target stand and heat it up with a small butane torch. It gives a good circular glow that allows for precise sighting with the tiny black crosshair. One negative though, is that the lid cools down quickly. I have enough time to get a couple of shots before having to light it up again. I haven't found that to be much of a problem since I generally walk to the 60 yard target to check bullet impact anyway, so I refresh the lid then.

6.5 Grendel

50967113542_d5c86b365d_c.jpg

Nosler 90 gr. Varmageddon

50967005736_1a5758b029_c.jpg

I use a can lid for a target with thermal, and heat it with a butane torch.

50967008976_65a11794db_c.jpg

50967033711_abf37419f3_c.jpg

50967004291_9c8556e327_c.jpg

2 Shots at 60 Yards

50967007321_b0bf30dcfa_c.jpg

50966302378_efe70e2d1a_c.jpg

This one had a salt-pepper colored back. Kind of pretty.

50967005726_a42ddf7dc5_c.jpg

Bear Creek 6.5 Grendel 20” upper and Pulsar Apex XQ38 thermal

50967010136_4ddab780ff_c.jpg

I got home fairly early after Church and decided I would make a few howls.

Before I could set up my gear I looked and saw a coyote in the field already working up toward the bait pile. I propped against the back of my Tahoe and shot her at 110 yds. I figured it was the male to that pair from last week, but turned out to be another female. Went out with the meat wagon and picked up the coyote. That 50 V-Max put her down DRT with a shoulder shot that had a small exit on the offside.

#32A by Double Up, on Flickr

#32 by Double Up, on Flickr

Actually I killed another one last night in the rain. Thermal was terrible. I missed him standing at 215 yds., and then rolled him twice running. First time he got back up and took off again. Second time rolled him at 220 yds. and he fell into a field lead ditch. I had to fish him out of the lead ditch full of water. So, the old boy is a bit bedraggled looking. Unfortunately I was charging my DVR and so didn't get any of it on video, but it is another dead coyote nonetheless.

#33 by Double Up, on Flickr

Back in the game DU...back in the game. Whack em and stack em!!!

With the weather warming up some here, I am absolutely over run with coons, possums, and skunks!! Have to shut the beeper down if I want just a few minutes of sleep. PIA!

Stay after em...good job!

Great performance from a 50 gr vmax at that distance, and an AR to boot...but, it takes a shooter to make that happen. And you, Double Up, make that happen all the time!! Great job!! Congrats on another one!! The action has definitely picked up for you!! Stay after em!

Back