Question. Night Googles Ball head and reaper mount.

NDAR15MAN

Folks. I ordered my Night Goggles night stalker pro tripod with ball mount and Reaper mount last week. Some how they forgot the tripod.... crap happens. But did get a box with the Night Goggles brand ball head and the Reaper mount. Open box up this am and trying to put them together while waiting for tripod later in week.
Question.... For those that bought this package from Night Googles .... There is a plate with a screw on ball Head that the ball head attaches to Reaper mount I think ..... This screw / bolt is is too small of diameter to screw into the Reaper mound bottom housing. No other bracket with larger bolt or just a bolt/screw to fit the Realer mount was in my box ?
Am I missing a the larger bolt/ screw or do you just remove the whole plate with the too small of screw/bolt in it and place the Reaper mount in that slot with a NO securing bolt ? Before I raise heck with Night Googles again I wanted to make sure I was not missing something in the assembly process. Maybe the Reaper slides right in the gap of the night goggles ball head , no screw /bolt / bracket attachment ? Like a direct mount. ? I cannot believe it would be secure enough In the Night Goggles ball head without the bolt / screw and plate all being attached to Reaper BOTTOM Housing. Just wondering what some of you got in your box and how you made attachment.
I have looked at some close up pictures on Night Googles Web sight and it appears that I am missing the larger bolt/screw / bracket to attach them both together. And to top it all off their website now says they are out of stock again on the night stocker pro tripod and ball head..... To tell you the truth the more I look at it the Night Goggles ball head it does not seem like it is even the 44mm ball head that fits the Night Stalker Pro Tripod I did not get. why nothing wants to fit together. This is has turned out to be a very very poor transaction with Night Googles to say the least. Looks like more unpleasant phone calls Monday to California. Unbelievable . Marty

Last edited:
I would have contacted Night Goggles with these questions or waited till I had all parts in hand before I opened pandoras box. I just went through an issue with Pulsar but refused to overly criticize or praise them till the transaction was done. In the end they did well by me. My past experiences with NG were also positive.

Kirsch.... thanks for the pm pictures. It appears that my Reaper head does not have the Silver Reducer thread in bottom of the Reaper mount like your picture shows ( pm me your cell number and I will text you a picture of mine ). It was never installed. Just a bigger threaded hole with out the reducer sleeve in it. Reaper will not screw together with the plate on the ball head that was provided. So I will now have to call California again Monday and Find our who is going to pay to send this mess of a order back , ball head , missing insert adapter In Reaper mount If they don’t have any more in stock then I am screwed again and more wait time. Which I will not do.
I had a bad feeling after the 3 phone calls and 2 emails trying to make sure Customer service Lady understood and that they make sure everything is correct and fits together Before I gave them my credit card from the very start. Kirsch not your fault , I appreciate The pictures and you trying to fix another Night Goggles customer service issue problem. It appears to me is the Ball head is made in China , Reaper mount is in a Reaper mount factory box that comes from we’re ever , and I take it the tripod that I still dont have after having them charge my credit card $700.00 all comes from China.
Standard business Practice would be to open the boxes and make sure they all fit together and all the pieces are there because all the pieces are coming from different suppliers I would say. If Night Goggles is going to be a middle man that’s fine by me , they just need to do what middle men do , inspect for quality and inspect that all the pieces are there in the box and slap their label over it so no one knows who is the true supplier/manufacture is of the their product. Then slap their shipping label on the box with my correct address and zip code and ship it too me. This is even after I requested they do so before it was shipped. Night Goggles did not even get the tripod shipped to me. How do you miss shipping a tripod when that is the key product here. Supposedly they shipped another Tripod out Friday. My luck it will not be the correct tripod because it is now showing out of stock. It’s just unbelievable after waiting weeks to place my order. If I am wrong I will make a retraction and partial apologize here.
For $700.00 I just expected a better job from Night Goggles.
Sorry for the rant folks , I am not buying a left over Christmas fruit cake here. Kirsch not upset with you , its great that you are willing to help with the Many of the on going customer service issues that Night Goggles are having. Thanks for the pictures thou , it proves it was something wrong on THEIR end. Marty

Last edited:
That wound be great kirsch. I will pm you my phone number Don’t see how the the reducer will fit in the bottom of reaper mount housing because there is 4 metal tabs that are on the Outside of the threaded hole. Not sure if those tabs need to be lifted up and pushed back down after the reducer Is put in. My luck tabs would break if they need to be lifted up and push back down a 2nd time. Have the guy call me Monday. Thanks. Marty

Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANThat wound be great kirsch. I will pm you my phone number Don’t see how the the reducer will fit in the bottom of reaper mount housing because there is 4 metal tabs that are on the Outside of the threaded hole. Not sure if those tabs need to be lifted up and pushed back down after the reducer Is put in. My luck tabs would break if they need to be lifted up and push back down a 2nd time. Have the guy call me Monday. Thanks. Marty I got a hold of Tom Austin after seeing your comment. He has indicated the Reaper Grip is Machined for Arca Swiss at the bottom, so the plate is not needed. The Grip apparently will slide directly into the ballhead and can be connected. It reduces the possibility of a failure point.

So is not needed because Night Goggles made a mistake and did not put one on the bottom of the reaper mount ? Or it Not needed because it was engineered not have one from the start? Picture you pm looks Like reaper is attached to the arca plate. I don’t need a D760 Night vision falling off of the ball head. Marty

I apologize Marty, as I admitted at the very beginning, I have never used a Reaper Grip. I was just trying to get you an answer over the weekend while Night Goggles was not open. This may have led us down a path that was incorrect. I will let Tom Austin confirm exactly what is going on.

However, from the message I received from him, the design of the Reaper Grip was changed to eliminate the need for the Arca Swiss Plate all together. The images I sent you were from the older design. It is now engineered/machined for the bottom of the Reaper Grip to fit directly into the Ball-Head Arca Swiss Clamp. Tom has left you a voicemail with his personal cell number. I will let the two of you communicate to make sure everything is working as intended.

Folks. Kirsch was able to contact Tom owner of Night Goggles. Tom Called me on phone and said There has been a change on the Reaper mount attaching to the Night Goggles ball head. The 3/16 threaded hole is now not used In connecting to the Arca plate that is on the Night Goggles ball head. Arca plate is removed and the whole bottom of the Reaper mount slides into to that gap we’re the Arca plate was. Then is tighten down with the knob. Arca plate will and can be used for lighter weight objects such as spotting scopes etc. Sorry I am not a wiz bang on posting a picture on this.
The pictures on their website do not reflect this Attachment change nor the directions. A guy gets very nervous putting a $4500 D760 on a ball head when there was not a good explanation on how.
Tom is working on my missing tripod issue so I am getting closer to becoming a happier customer. Thanks again kirsch. Marty

Last edited:
Following this thread. Just ordered a tripod and mount from night goggles a couple of days ago. I can't say that I am inspired by what has occurred.

Originally Posted By: stanerFollowing this thread. Just ordered a tripod and mount from night goggles a couple of days ago. I can't say that I am inspired by what has occurred. There was a shipping mix-up with NDAR15MAN's order. Night Goggles fully admits this but it is being taken care of. Tom Austin, director of Night Goggles, calls a customer on a Sunday when Night Goggles isn't even open to make sure a customer receives service. Thanks Tom, as this is one of many things that separates Night Goggles from many other companies and is yet another reason I am thankful to be Prostaff for Night Goggles.

The Night Goggle's tripods provide a great value. If you have any questions or issues, contact Night Goggles or PM me and I will assist or find someone who will.

The old style KOPFJAGER Reaper Grip Direct Mount with the round bottom base (shown below) required a 3/8 to 1/4-20 reducer insert to mount to an Arca-Swiss style ballhead. We have seen cases where this insert has failed resulting in damage to the firearm and/or optic. This style has been discontinued and we no longer sell it.

The new style KOPFJAGER Reaper Grip Direct Mount has Arca-Swiss machined into the base (shown below) for a much better mounting interface. The new style will mount directly into our Arca-Swiss style ball-head without using the 1/4-20 camera plate. Therefore the 3/8 to 1/4-20 reducer insert isn't used/needed. This design cannot break or fail.

I hope this clears things up. Thanks!

Kirsch.... Thanks going above and beyond again for getting me the reducer for the Reaper mount that is showed being used on the Night Goggles website when I placed my order. I will let you know when the Night Stalker Pro Tripod finally arrives from Night Goggles. Thanks. Marty

Kirsch. I got my tripod today. Thanks for your help getting my order straighten out.
Their was another ball head in the box with tripod. I donated this duplicated one to a young kid that belongs to the Izaak Walton League shooting team. Marty

Last edited:
Back