IRAY RICO MK1

igor

Just saw a video on facebook for this unit. Never heard of it before but the video was really good. Its a 640 unit and price is $5900 or so. Its a Texas based company they say. Anybody have any experience with IRAY?

iRay is the Chinese company that makes the sensor that is also used in the Bering Optics Hogster, Super Hogsters, and Phenom. Bering brings this in with parts from other manufacturers and creates their products. I do like the iRay sensors. I have been fairly cautious with telling people be careful when you buy a straight iRay product because there was no service option as you don't want to have to ship your product overseas for service or wait until a replacement can be provided. There is IRAYUSA now which I believe is the TX company you are speaking of. I haven't done the research to find out what they are doing or not doing in the US, so maybe there will be a US based service option.

I have a Bering Optics 640 clip that I will be testing soon and there are plans for a standard weapon's sight as well. So, if you want a 640 12 µm sensor backed by Bering, you should have an option. I have been very cautious to mention this as I don't have a ton of information yet to provide. I just don't want people to think they have to go with a different brand if they want a Bering scope but want it in 640 resolution.

Originally Posted By: igorJust saw a video on facebook for this unit. Never heard of it before but the video was really good. Its a 640 unit and price is $5900 or so. Its a Texas based company they say. Anybody have any experience with IRAY?

My go to has been the Trijicon MKIII 60, but the way we had to record was not easy, not easy at all...

I bought a MK1 because of one thing, I wanted to try the internal recording. The video footage that's able to be pulled is very close to the Trijicon videos we were getting by filming in 4K behind the eyepiece. It's a huge asset to data collection, and video production for me, by maintaining image quality and not having to unhook a separate camera just to dump footage.

Here are a few pictures of video still shots I got over the past few weeks.

50989571561_aa050d3b44_h.jpg

50989572611_ac0c9869b9_b.jpg

50988871098_9d4d1c67db_b.jpg

50989574806_4c24045132_b.jpg

I do have some MKIII stills I would like to post also, but can't seem to locate them. I'm looking into getting an N-Vision HALO XRF. I think Trijicon is going to definitely have to step up their game with some of the stuff coming out, or they're going to continue falling further and further behind.

I've tried to ask why not onboard recording, and a factory battery pack? At least N-Vision is offering some hi quality stuff made here, all while listening to hunters and what they need.

Originally Posted By: Alan DLooks like Bering Optics is going to need to step up there game . There is another player in the field !

Those pics look good. If the Rico is in the $5900 range, is it a competitor of the Bering models in the $3k range?

Originally Posted By: skinneyI do have some MKIII stills I would like to post also, but can't seem to locate them. I'm looking into getting an N-Vision HALO XRF. I think Trijicon is going to definitely have to step up their game with some of the stuff coming out, or they're going to continue falling further and further behind.

I've tried to ask why not onboard recording, and a factory battery pack? At least N-Vision is offering some hi quality stuff made here, all while listening to hunters and what they need.

Skinney, in your experience with these two units, is the IR Hunter MKIII 60mm still the king? Im really intrigued by the new iray mk1, the image looks good, but time will tell with how these units hold up in the field, and whether or not iray will keep up with the warranty as advertised.

N-vision does make a quality picture, that is for sure. But, the polymere fiberglass reingforced housings that were used on the Halo series left a lot to be desired, compared to the trijicon aluminum housings. I know there are a few of us that would sacrifice weight for durability. Ill take turrets over buttons any day, especially on nights where my fingers are so cold I cannot feel them. From what Ive seen in pictures, and been told by people with hands on experience of the new Halo's, the same mounting system and polymere housing material was used as the previous generation.

I actually called trijicon in Wixom MI last week, and asked customer service if there was any plans for a new thermal line, or updated(s) to the existing thermal lines available now. The customer service rep put me through to R&D and I asked the same question to that guy. He said no not at this time, and, that they were working on a LRF with an integrated anomometer for precision shooting. Nothing with thermal.

I've had some pretty heavy use with both units. In temps -25 up to 40's at night, Humidity from 40% to 100%. I still like the build quality of Trijicon, However I'm seeing better image quality in higher humidity with the Matrix III vs the BAE.

I just killed a couple 2 nights ago in the heaviest snow I've ever hunted in, soak a wet, 6 inches in a couple hours, couldn't see 20 yards with lights driving down the road, and smashed a couple at 100yards pretty easy.

So far I'm impressed, like I stated above, I'm planning on getting the Halo XRF and hoping the recording quality is similar to the MK1

Trijicon's dropping the ball by not advancing their thermal options.

those are some impressive still shots of the mk1.

But I think the video you did a few years ago on youtube of "50 coyotes down", at the 13:06 mark has just as good of an image of coyotes. plus the background looks more clear to me.

Originally Posted By: 324mattthose are some impressive still shots of the mk1.

But I think the video you did a few years ago on youtube of "50 coyotes down", at the 13:06 mark has just as good of an image of coyotes. plus the background looks more clear to me.

I wouldn't disagree, however the main reason the BG is clearer with the MKIII is because it has an infinite focus, The MK1 has and adjustable focus increasing the shallow depth of field before and beyond your target.

Back