Multiple coyotes coming in?

OKRattler

So if you have more than one coming in which do you shoot first? I rarely get a second shot at a coyote standing still because I don't shoot suppressed. It happens occasionally but not as often as it would if I were to shoot suppressed I believe. I could be wrong but I think so.

So do you shoot the furthest one first and work your way in or the opposite? Or does it all depend on which one presents the best shot? I don't think there's a right or wrong answer I've had success with doing it either way. I just wondered what most people do. Personally I'd rather killed the furthest one given the choice and shoot the closer coyote or perhaps coyotes after they get stirred up. Opinions may vary and the reason I'd prefer it that way is I'd rather shoot at a close (250 yards or less) running coyote than a coyote standing still at a longer range. I'm just being honest, my long range shooting skills could improve. But I have killed plenty on the run so I know I've got that down more so than shooting further out. Even on a coyote standing broadside.

For me, it's always too exciting, so take the closer shot first and lots of times miss that one too... Multiple hard chargers just get me too excited so try and do the surer thing first ...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fratriFor me, it's always too exciting, so take the closer shot first and lots of times miss that one too... Multiple hard chargers just get me too excited so try and do the surer thing first ...
smile.gif

I too have done it that way. I remember the first time I called in a triple. All three ran away without a scratch.

Shoot the closest one first, you are less likely to miss, then take a running shot on the other one. Suppressed or not, the second one is usually running.

I've been shooting suppressed this season. They still run hard after the first shot most of the time. It may not spook them as bad but unless you are shooting a subsonic ammo in a bolt action 300 blackout, a supressed rifle still makes more than enough noise to spook a coyote. I really like the suppressor for hearing protection, it just makes shooting so much more pleasant.

My preference for multiples is to get them into shotgun range or as close as possible before shooting. I feel more confident I can drop two or more coyotes quick with a shotgun than a rifle. In general, I try to kill the coyote that gives me the best shot first. That is often the closest one but not always.

Skinneys recent video http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...503#Post3270503
has many good examples of how to be patient and shoot at the best time. I'm often not as patient as I should be.

I also target the coyote that is about to catch my wind. Sometimes one starts moving to my downwind side and I'll always try to shoot that one before it smells me.

For what it’s worth, my only triple and double were both shot unsuppressed. Since I’ve been hunting suppressed, I have yet to see any benefit as far as coyotes reacting differently when shot at.

I've shot coyotes suppressed but never have had an opportunity at more than one at a time. The only time I've seen it my buddy was on the gun. Called in a triple and he let the first one go (I wouldn't have) and I called him in two more. He shoots the first one and the second takes off and stops in some thick stuff. He should have had at least two on that stand. Although suppressed that doesn't mean the coyote that ran didn't hear it and check up for just a few seconds when he felt like he was safer when he got into some thicker cover.

Sleeping pairs and triples unsuppressed, always take the far one first. Bullet passing over tends to have a move toward shooter action from other coyote. I'm almost always suppressed now. So I tend to shoot the closest(head shot when possible),the other coyote tend to move away at an angle from impact sound on the first. Usually less than 50' before stopping to look at the first. For a good close 2nd shot, first coyote needs to be drt. On windy days, only problem shooting suppressed, you need to be more downwind. As the second coyote may go out of sight quickly on steeper hills,snowdrifts,fencelines, when shooting with a side wind. If one is awake, I take that one first.

since getting my first suppressor 9 years ago, I've killed quads 6 times solo, and one time with a buddy of mine, and I killed a six pack on one stand solo. Never killed a quad before having a suppressor. Not everyone of the quads I killed all came together, but a couple of them did. The six pack I killed all came one right after the other.
I always shoot the first presentable standing shot. I don't care if it's the closest or not, but I want a standing shot. And then I don't shoot at runners. I hunt mostly wide open spaces, so instead of shooting at runners, I quickly change sounds to one of my presets, usually a fight sound, and sometimes I get coyotes coming back to me, and then I again switch to barks on the call, and again wait for a standing shot. I'd rather wait for a standing 300 yard shot then shoot at a 100 yard runner. I've had a couple other opportunities at quads but managed to miss one of them.
The common that happened every time I killed a quad, I never shot at a moving target.
Sure enough, a lot of coyotes that hear a suppressed rifle won't stand around and ask questions, and I do shoot at runners if they're haulin' butt and not looking back over their shoulders. Likely they are leaving without stopping and usually won't come back.

Songdog are you the guy someone was trying to convince you how much more better you'd do with a Simi auto?
Colorado ar15 couple of years ago.

Still stands out in my mind and can't forget it. I'm still laughing to myself.

The biggest thing I attribute to being able to kill multiples on stands is learning to control your breathing and keep yourself collected enough to make the next shot accurately.
Be fast on the pup distress or kiyi sounds after the first shot and wait for the second dog to stop. During mating season if there is one that is smaller or looks to be the female kill her first as the male will likely stop or want to come back to get his female.

I'd kill the female if I could ID her. Failing that, the furthest one first as long as it was within a distance I was confident on a good shot

I also kill the female first if I think I know which one it is. I don't know if y'all have noticed but sometimes on days with wind that is normally less than ideal for calling helps somewhat. I've seen more than one coyote look around after the shot. I think the wind kind of distorts their hearing somewhat so they don't exactly know where the sound is coming from. I can see where a suppressor would be even better in that situation especially. In the wind one of their main senses isn't 100%. That's one way the wind can help in my opinion. Normally it's not the best thing to have a lot of when calling but that's one silver lining. It can give you an advantage.

Of course you can't always count on calling in a double in the wind. But if it happens occasionally you'll eventually see this as well I would bet. If you can take away one sense that's great. If they can't wind you you're already at an advantage. If you're concealed you've taken away another. If their hearing is distorted you're probably gonna be dragging a few coyotes back to the truck. The odds are definitely in your favor.

Last edited:
Back