CZ 527's discontinued

Originally Posted By: B23Something that was pointed out on another forum, are we sure this is a company wide CZ change because their CZ USA may still offer all the same models, like the Varmint and American, which would make a lot more sense than CZ dumping those two VERY popular models in the American market.

That's a good point. It seems the 527 Varmint is still listed on CZ-USA's website.

I asked how long they've had that rifle, he said about a year. I was surprised to say the least, just the right person hadn't seen it.

Hope that this isn’t true. Without cz offering the 22 hornet and 17 hornet rifles I see the ammo being a thing of the past. ( as if this ammo shortage wasn’t bad enough).
I want to buy my son a 22 hornet to match mine but I won’t if he’s not gonna have ammo for it.

I've always loved CZ rifles. 527 American, or Varmint, they have the best, out of the box accuracy, of any major brand.

Recently, I've picked-up a few in the past 4 months:

20 Tactical with an aftermarket, custom stock (started as a .204 / shoots 39gr SBKs very well)
17 Fireball (converted 17HH, with factory 221FB bolt, by Dresden Gun Works)
17 Remington
222 Remington (just a few days ago at a local gun shop. made in 2007, but looks brand new. The stock was a bit plain, so I bought another stock from CZ and they sent me a beauty)

I hope they announce a replacement soon. Even though they are getting harder to source, I'm hoping they keep the option of nice walnut stocks.

Last edited:
I don't think they are going to stop these guns if you look at their website they are now listed as micro centerfires and and there is 8 different models to choose from all they did was slim down the amount of models they offer and change the name of their listings

My source I spoke to yesterday. In a nutshell they are done, but what ever stock keeps trickleing in will
Be available until they are gone. He had no idea or wasn’t saying what the plan is for the future.

I wonder if it’s a liquidation of inventory for the move to Arkansas?

Originally Posted By: jshMy source I spoke to yesterday. In a nutshell they are done, but what ever stock keeps trickleing in will
Be available until they are gone. He had no idea or wasn’t saying what the plan is for the future.

I wonder if it’s a liquidation of inventory for the move to Arkansas?
So now we're back to thinking it's a world wide discontinuation not just a regional thing. Well that sucks. Your source didn't by chance mention why did they? I don't really pay much attention to CZ stuff except for their rimfire line and the 527's. Next to their rimfire rifles I always thought the 527's were a very popular rifle and always saw them as somewhat of a bargain considering their quality in relation to their cost not to mention they generally shoot pretty darn well too.

Just speculation but I'm wondering if it's one of those things where they are gauging the market and can see how handguns are selling at blistering rates and likely not to slow down any time soon so they are shifting more of their production line over to producing more of what sells in high volume. I go to different places look around and their is always plenty of long guns in the racks but the hand gun case is usually pretty empty and black guns, for get about it, even the crappy stuff is sold out.

Funny you mention Black guns being sold out. Two of the major shops in Tulsa seem to have plenty of AR's on the rack and almost no bolt action rifles. I thought maybe people were afraid to buy AR's today so the bolt actions were going fast.

I talked to a counter guy at a pawn shop that is/was the only CZ dealer in Tulsa. He claimed that CZ USA only gets what CZ Europe sends them. I take his information with a very very small grain of salt.

He is employed by CZ so I have no reason to doubt him. He didn’t go into any details nor did he act like there was any more to it. Pretty tight lipped about some of the “new” chamberings a while back.
It rattled him pretty good when I knew what the “new” cartridge was, 6ARC. Old cartridge with a new name.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogFunny you mention Black guns being sold out. Two of the major shops in Tulsa seem to have plenty of AR's on the rack and almost no bolt action rifles. I thought maybe people were afraid to buy AR's today so the bolt actions were going fast.

I talked to a counter guy at a pawn shop that is/was the only CZ dealer in Tulsa. He claimed that CZ USA only gets what CZ Europe sends them. I take his information with a very very small grain of salt.

I was told the same thing long ago about what the US gets. There are some various odd variations of the 527’s and the 550’s floating around in the US. Like they had a bunch of new old stock inventory.
I can’t help but think it is some kind of marketing move.
Lol, maybe they bought a primer company and figured there was more money in primers at this point than firearms.

JSH: I hope you are right on the 6 arc. They will need to give 1 or 2 prototype rifles a go for a season or more prior releasing this I suppose.

Now if this is true, suspect we are in little danger of loosing the 527 anytime soon.

Some bean counter made a stupid decision if there is truth to it. More over they can bring the 527 back fast when the reality of their stupid actions sink in!

I have a .223 and a .204 in the American and I cherish their accuracy and handling!

VIVA the 527!

Three 44s

Last edited:
From my perspective & your perspective the bean counter is in error.
Id bet the accountants have other product lines that reap a higher profit margin. Now with covid effecting the work force / number of total worked hours falling off with covid measures. So bean counter looking out for business interest will likely choose to float the limited work force to product lines that do a better job of keeping the company afloat.

I have been shooting Czechs since 1990 and have had MANY in RF, CF & pistols...love them. I especially love the RF's & small caliber CF's. I even have a few EBR's etc. Bolty's are more my passion than EBR's & pistols which I view more as tools and insurance policies.

That all said, completely canceling a 527 would be SO foolish in the North American market...especially now that we have gotten used to their safety and magazines. Americanizing them with stocks, barrels, flush magazines and various calibers...both new, popular or supporting legacy calibers is just plain smart...even if only in sporadic runs. Those that have them tend to have them in more than one caliber and are conversion tools for their other offerings. I.E. RF's, Pistols, EBR's and big bores etc.

Regarding the small caliber Czech offerings, I personally started with a Brno ZBK Fox II's .222/22 Hornet & ZKK-601 .223 then added ZKW-465 Fox 22 Hornet. I have since had several & own 527's etc, (*= Current)

*.17 Rem American. Yes, an American...long story. Had a Varmint
*.17 HH
.17 Fireball
*.19 Badger
*.204R's 4 Varmints & Americans...settled on the American currently.
*.221 Fireball...had 3, sold one
*.22 TCM
*.22 Hornet ZKW-465
.222 Rem
.223 Carbine (really regret selling)
.223 ZKK-601
.223 Kevlar
*6.5 Grendel American
*7.62x39 Carbine

I will likely add the 6mmARC when available...in a 527. Preferably an American.

Originally Posted By: TOU
*.221 Fireball...had 3, sold one
*.22 TCM
*.22 Hornet ZKW-465
.222 Rem
.223 Carbine (really regret selling)
.223 ZKK-601
.223 Kevlar
*6.5 Grendel American
*7.62x39 Carbine

Nice.

I agree with everything you stated. CZ continues to have the best, out of the box accuracy, of most gun makers.

I have the following:

.17 HH Varmint
.17 Remington Varmint
.17 Fireball
.20 Tactical
.222 Remington

Looking to add:
22 Hornet
6.5 Grendel
-----
Most unique is my 5mm Remington Rimfire, but that is on a Model 452 action.

Back